This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Questions

What month did Studebaker switch to the Ultra Vista windshield?

What month was the 224 CID V8 replaced by the 259 CID V8 in passenger cars?

(this isn't a quiz...I really don't know the answers)

Fred Fox writes: (in the June '82 TW)that these changes were introduced in January of 1955.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Fred Fox writes: (in the June '82 TW)that these changes were introduced in January of 1955.
      Thanks, Mr. Biggs

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I wonder how much moola they wasted,to change the glass,[and the cowl,and the fenders]-and then just to go back to the 'flat' glass in '56.???

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        60Lark
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

'56 sedans and wagons I've seen have the Ultra Vista glass. Are you sure?

---------------------------
          Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

the C-Ks never went to wraparound glass; the rest of the cars all stayed with wraparound glass until '63, although the actual windshields changed at least twice.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I just ASSumed the C-Ks were changed too,just for the later half of one year.
              But I still have a problem understanding why they made the body parts so different between the C-Ks and the sedans[53-55]yet they still look so close.

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              60Lark
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Nah, the C-Ks share the same piece of glass from 53 thru 64. Probably a record in the auto industry for the use of ONE pattern of curved glass!

The sedans now... THERE'S a good question. Why not introduce the "ALL NEW" 1956 models instead of making two sets of parts for the '55s??? There's MUCH more to the 55 Ultra-Vista changes than just a piece of glass!! Much more![B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Possibly cause they might have wanted to get a head start on the 56 sedans and wagons by using the new curved windshield.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'm sorry Jim, I don't see the logic in that. There's different fenders, dash, cowl, doors, etc., that all had to be remade just for the last half of the 55 year. They could have intro'd the ALL NEW 1956 Models 6 months later and had the same impact on sales. Maybe even more![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Possibly cause they might have wanted to get a head start on the 56 sedans and wagons by using the new curved windshield.
                      I think that they felt like they were already behind the curve as far as US car standards. Most everyone had gone to wrap around windshields before Studebaker. Studebaker was playing catch-up as quick as they could. I believe that is why they made the change in mid-55 model year. They couldn't get the change ready in time for '55 introduction and they didn't want to wait until the '56 model year and lose even more sales. Of course, sales never equalled '55 levels until the Lark came out, but that is the 20-20 vision of hindsight. With the '56-'58 models, Studebaker thought that they had to imitate everyone else, but only ended up hurting their sales.

Gary L.
                      1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                      1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Nah, the C-Ks share the same piece of glass from 53 thru 64. Probably a record in the auto industry for the use of ONE pattern of curved glass!

The sedans now... THERE'S a good question. Why not introduce the "ALL NEW" 1956 models instead of making two sets of parts for the '55s??? There's MUCH more to the 55 Ultra-Vista changes than just a piece of glass!! Much more![B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        Full-sized GM Sedans from 1977 to 1990 used the same windshield pattern. This covers millions of cars.

Comment

According to a Studebaker Graveyard VHS tape that I bought several years ago Studebaker designers actually tried to add wrap-around windshields to the new-for-1956 Hawk hardtop and coupes. They did a styling study that ended up in the graveyard. It looked like they used aluminum or tin to fashion the curve of the windshield. The look overall would have been..grotesque! I am wondering if Studebaker ever took a picture of this proposed treatment or if any sketches survive.

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

1956 Hawks were the last new Studebaker model designed by Bob Bourke.

Gary L.
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X