View Full Version : 51 Starlight Drag racer

Starlite51
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
here ya go 21 hours left to buy this and go racing this Saturday

ebay item number 4647750166

Starlite51
06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
this should link to it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitl e%3D4647750166%26fvi%3D1&rd=1&item=4647750166

572 cubic inches

Bandit
06-13-2006, 06:24 PM
as a '51 owner .. so sad to see one gutted so bad ...:(

http://members.shaw.ca/mateo_f4/bandit/banner4.jpg

mbstude
06-13-2006, 06:28 PM
My uncle has a 51 Champ Starlight, stock. I too hate to see one like that. My uncles wasn't even a good parts car when he got it. Took him 11 years to redo it. 8 days after he drove it out of the interior shop, someone pulled out in front of him. Totalled the front half of the car. It's all back together now though. I even got to drive it last Saturday...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Starlite51
06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Some gotta live .. some gotta die ... some gotta go FAST.

at least it gives people a chance to see a 1951 .. (albeit highly modifed )

so when they see an OUTSTANDING car like yours they can really appreciate it.

imported_n/a
06-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, maybe we should all be thankful that they didn't just go ahead and make a dirt-track car out of it, instead. I just might write the seller, and ask what it would take to make it back into a Daily Driver. After all, it is better to ask dumb questions, than to do dumb things.

raprice
06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't stand to see a modified Stude, particularly a Star Light Coupe. That's just me. I prefer to keep 'em stock.
Rog

mbstude
06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
About time someone sees things the way I do!!! Unless they're too far gon to restore, like Jeff Rice's 37 Coupe Express. His was ROUGH!!! But, at least it's on the road, that the good thing about it. I like to see them restored to their original beauty; nuff said!

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
South Georgia Chapter
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
And here as well: http://community.webshots.com/user/studestarliner
And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

52hawk
06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
But! Every time this car makes a run down the dragstrip,someone will ask-what is it? Cool car! Where can I buy one?-And just maybe they will buy one,and join the SDC!!!.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

60Lark
06-13-2006, 11:12 PM
This could have been a too far gone resurrection project for all we know. [?] It isn't my preference, but apparently it was his ;).

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

Sonny
06-14-2006, 01:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by 60Lark

This could have been a too far gone resurrection project for all we know. [?] It isn't my preference, but apparently it was his ;).

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

I think you hit it right on the head Phil! We just had this discussion over at the Racing Studebaker forums, concerning high performance cars, but it goes for ANY modified Studebaker.

One member said, ".....we should appreciate the Studebaker name is still out there on the entry books and getting some recognition, even if no Studebaker mechanical components are involved."

I heartily agree with him! However, as many of you know, I prefer/build mine ALL Studebaker. BUT, as I said in my reply, "I think this is the BIGGEST thing that ALL of us MUST agree on. Unless you're fielding a PSMCD car, there can be NO "purism" in the high performance game, they're ALL modified in some way.

Think about it, if/when any Studebaker bodied car does good, the record books, for ALL eternity, will read "Studebaker done good". When an announcer at ANY event talks about a winning Studebaker bodied car he says, "Studebaker done good", and the public understands, "Studebaker done good". When you read a newspaper or ANY publication about a Studebaker bodied car, it's usually an article that says, "Studebaker done good". When ANY Studebaker passes the general public on the road, the public thinks, "Studebaker done good". When a fella is telling his buddy about a Studebaker bodied car that whooped his ass, he'll say, "Gotta admit, that damn Studebaker done good!"

Studebaker bodied cars with "other" than all Studebaker parts, that are racing, driving, showing, touring, cruising, or just sitting in the frigging driveway are an IMPORTANT part of the Studebakering world. Where should we draw the line concerning the number of "real" Studebaker parts included in a car before we can accept it? How can anyone not accept them, especially with soooo MANY "out there"? How can anyone deny all of their accomplishments, all of the awards that they've garnered while they're promoting Studebakering? I don't take them lightly, it just doesn't make any sense.

Like it or not fellas, they're NOT going away. WE, Studebakering, needs 'em! We NEED them to feel as welcome as ANY other Studebaker owner! I, for one, am VERY glad that they chose a Studebaker to make their own. We ALL should be taking them VERY seriously......"

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

MacMyers
06-14-2006, 06:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starlite51

I am always impressed when someone takes the time and spend the money to turn a nice car into a giant piece of crap. It's a Stude shaped shell.

Proud Owner of:
The one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK
And the 1966 Messtang!

Roscomacaw
06-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, I wouldn't have done it quite like that. [:o)] But then I wouldn't have done a Chebby or anything else like that - even if I was into them.[}:)]

Thankfully, there's a few souls still around that have not given up trying to see what they can wring out of a Stude engine. Those folks get a high five from me. The rest? Who cares?

Some time back, I was writing, fondly, of Ted Harbit's efforts. One person chimed in that he didn't see the "big deal" about teasing the Plain Brown Wrapper ever faster. He opined: if you want the thing to go faster, simply put 520 cu.in. of Caddy motor in it!
Now, how much further could one TOTALLY miss the point??? [:0] But, you see, not all of us think alike.[xx(] And for that I'm eternally grateful.;)
I COULD start calling my Transtar a Tundra. Folks might look at me a bit different, but the Transtar wouldn't care. As Sonny's pointed out, if the guy that built and raced this "Starlight" wants to present it as a Studebaker, we'll go along with the facts that the record books reflect it as such and cheat a Chebby of it's due in the process. Think about it - you don't see many Ramblers, Hudsons, or Kaisers running on the strips or at Bonneville!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

imported_n/a
06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
The points being made about the exposure that this dragster(using a 51 Body Shell) getting attention from would-be Studebaker enthusiasts raises the question: Are the dragster fans going to acquire one then, and modify it in such a way that it is now only suited for very limited use? If that same vehicle were being operated on the roads on as many weekends per year, it would no doubt have more exposure to a larger group of people that might be interested in the hobby. And, I don't think it is fair to lump "modifications"all into one category. Some tastefully modified cars have numerous upgrades that make them more roadworthy. At the other end of the scale, you have those cars with extreme changes made just for the Novelty of it, not practical considerations. As far as it being owners' prerogative, I compare it to buying a building lot for your mansion with 50-year old oak trees already on it, and cutting them all down because you don't like having to rake leaves or whatever. It is kind of selfish to do that. Someone had the place before you, and someone will no doubt have it after you are gone. You can just assume tha most of these cars were held onto for many years by those that appreciatd them for what they were.

Roscomacaw
06-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Honestly tho - I don't think we have to worry about a stampede of folks grabbing bullet-nosed Studes to gut for racing.:D

I had a new neighbor awhile back (thankfully for a very short time) who observed the irony of us both being fanatics about orphan cars. Before he moved in next door, he told me how VERY much he loved Willys! Once he got moved in, I realized it was actually Willys sheet metal he was enamored with.[xx(]
This might be great news for the Willys Drivers Club. But then, I don't believe there IS such an organization.[xx(]
Yes, I'm confident there's a Willys club of some sort. Just not one on the scale or fervor of SDC.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ddub
06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Will the bullet noses and C/K's become the Willys coupe of this generation?

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

Dick Steinkamp
06-14-2006, 06:54 PM
I've got to admit, even I am getting tired of the stock vs modified rants (maybe someone should start a modified vs stock rant just to mix it up a little :D).

Folks have been modifying cars ever since...well ever since there were cars. Little Jimmy Johnson might have been the first when he pulled the fenders off his 1911 Model T to make it look "snazzy" and pick up a few MPH. But then (IIRC) he was run out of town on a rail for being a "butcher". [:o)]

If you want them stock, build them stock. If you want to make a few (or a lot) of changes, make them. (I've heard a rumor that you can even enjoy the old car hobby in a variety of ways...but don't quote me on that [8D])

Just don't whine when someone makes a change you wouldn't make. It's really not that interesting or informative. (and in the very end, who cares if you'd make a change that I wouldn't or visa versa). It's a hobby...not a religious experience[^].

If you run across a car you don't like, it's OK to keep going and find one you do like. There are plenty out there, and sooner or later, you'll find one you like [8D].

If you are happiest when you are unhappy, that's a different story. Then I guess you should dwell on the one you don't like (unfortunately for the rest of us).

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Roscomacaw
06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
C'mon Dick. You really think you can put a stop to this sort of debate? What if I (or anyone, for that matter) see a cusstom I really like??? Should I keep my mouth shut or share it?

If it gets down to personal name-calling (which it most CERTAINLY can![}:)]:([xx(])(and most likely will from time to time - that's why they give Bob Shaw the big bucks![}:)]) then it's time to holler "WHOA!"

Opinion is usually a reflection of passion. If it were not for our passion towards our interests, we'd have posts like this:

Hello. I'm the registered owner of a nineteen fifty-three Studebaker Commander sedan. It's coloration is red on the outside with a dowdy brown interior. I'm here to share about my automobile. I hope you will like it since it is a Studebaker. (no smileys - smileys convey emotion - like Mr. Spock and other Vulcans, emotions are not logical - therefor we must not display them.)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dick Steinkamp
06-14-2006, 09:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

C'mon Dick. You really think you can put a stop to this sort of debate? What if I (or anyone, for that matter) see a cusstom I really like??? Should I keep my mouth shut or share it?

If it gets down to personal name-calling (which it most CERTAINLY can![}:)]:([xx(])(and most likely will from time to time - that's why they give Bob Shaw the big bucks![}:)]) then it's time to holler "WHOA!"

Opinion is usually a reflection of passion. If it were not for our passion towards our interests, we'd have posts like this:

Hello. I'm the registered owner of a nineteen fifty-three Studebaker Commander sedan. It's coloration is red on the outside with a dowdy brown interior. I'm here to share about my automobile. I hope you will like it since it is a Studebaker. (no smileys - smileys convey emotion - like Mr. Spock and other Vulcans, emotions are not logical - therefor we must not display them.)

I guess if it was a "debate" that would be one thing...but what I'm talking about generally isn't a debate. It's someone running down somebody else's car because it isn't done exactly how they would do it. Even if it doesn't get to name calling, it just sounds rude to me.

If you run across a custom you really like I hope you will share it here (kinda think you will [8D]). If some one here posts a picture of a Stude someone isn't crazy about, I hope terms like "giant piece of crap" or "I can't stand to see a modified Stude" aren't used in response to that post, or we WILL end up with only posts like your example.

I'm not talking about changing anybodys preferences for how they enjoy the hobby. Just talking about being civil with our fellow Studebaker enthusiasts.

I don't know if the owner of that '51 drag car posts or lurks here. It shouldn't matter. All I'm asking is to say what you'd say if he was a regular (he just might be :))

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Sonny
06-14-2006, 11:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

quote:Originally posted by Starlite51

I am always impressed when someone takes the time and spend the money to turn a nice car into a giant piece of crap. It's a Stude shaped shell.

Proud Owner of:
And the 1966 Messtang!

Hoot Mon! Mac, ye gotta quit bendin' ah-ver and take yer head oot-o-the poo! Stand oop and take a look at that fine little '51 drag car, now will ye mon?! Ye can't appreciate all the fine craftsmanship of it, if yer view tis limited, can ye now?! [8][:o)] :D

(Uhm, just between you and me Mac, I couldn't help noticing that you seem to focus an inordinate amount of attention on a certain organic waste material, that frankly, well, just doesn't get that much press. [:I] I sure hope that it's not the stuff that colors your appreciation of quality workmanship, no matter what's underneath the shell it's wearing Mac. ;))

Sonny

MacMyers
06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Heh... Well Sonny... my point is that it's not really a Studebaker anymore. You could put any body you wanted on it, fiberglass even, and it's still the same car. Not a Studebaker.
As for the fixation on fecal matter, I'll look into that. My life seems to be about 64% fecal matter right now so maybe it is coloring my thinking. I'm looking at the world though crap colored glasses! :D

Proud Owner of:
And the 1966 Messtang!

52hawk
06-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey Mac! How bout an update on the old poop Hawk? Done any thing to it? Get it running? Any legal action going on?

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Michidan
06-15-2006, 08:55 AM
I don't know anything about this particular car but my family does plenty of drag racing. And the vast majority of folks out there are just bracket racing at the local track. So it really does not matter how fast you're going, only that you do it consistently.

A lot of cars end up looking like this over time because it's just plain fun to go fast. Dads nova started out mostly stock. Well, but then wouldn't a big block be fun. Then of course that roll bar better be improved. Before you know it you've back halfed the car for tubs, gutted the interior, and have a 540 inch Aluminum block. Dads car is maybe the 4 billionth Nova to suffer this fate. It's not really about the car at that point, just the sport. Of course eventually you just sell the door slammer and build a rail. Then its not about the car at all.

I've watched Dads car morph over 15 years. Some folks will however go from stock to gutted race car in one giant leap. That's fine too but I don't like it if the builder thinks that a race car "has to" be like this. You can go pretty darn fast and have a lot of fun without a fabbed aluminum dash. And look cooler doing it.

Us Studebaker guys are lucky in that the percentage of our marque that has gone full race is very small. There is a lot of nice and not so nice stockers out there.
Think the Willys guys can say the same thing? Or even the Henry J faithful?

Dan
52 hardtop

bensauber
06-15-2006, 10:42 AM
What happened to the days when you'd go to the drags because someone was running a Studebaker, or go to the antique auto show because there were a few Studebakers, or buy the latest Hot Rod magazine because there were features on the 53's at Bonneville? Do we forget that our first Studebakers were probably not that drivable nor that pretty nor that popular?

Studedude
06-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Sonny, my friend!

Good to see ya!

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

MacMyers
06-16-2006, 07:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Hey Mac! How bout an update on the old poop Hawk? Done any thing to it? Get it running? Any legal action going on?

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Well..... the Quincy PD have sent it to the States Attorney so he can decide whether or not to press charges. I have a problem in that so much of our dealings were over the phone and not documented. The Hauler pretends like he can't remember what Larry told him about the car and if it ran or not. I think "RayJay" on here was Larry Brown.
I haven't done anything to the Car except to cover it with a fine layer of yellow paint dust from Sanding the "Other" car. I have a few things, gas door etc. for it and I think I'm going to put it on EBay acurately described with pictures and take whatever I can get out of it. Wife is tired of parking in the driveway. There are a couple of things going on behind the scenes that I can't talk about. Larry and I have had a few spirited conversations about how he's been kicked off of some car sites and now has to act like a legitimate bidness man and how angry that makes him. I also owe him a cup of coffee which I'm going to deliver in person once this all dies down.
Mac

Proud Owner of:
And the 1966 Messtang!

Sonny
06-18-2006, 12:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Sonny, my friend!

Good to see ya!

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

David! ALWAYS a pleasure to see/hear from you too! I'm trying to "get out" a little more, but still waaay too busy with the website. Well, that and my internet server, (peoplepc.com), can't even get my email in/out, two times out'a three! :D

Hope to see/hear ya more partner!

Sonny