This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many?

How many Hawks were built in 1960,I need to do a bit of research for an article Ive been asked to do for our local paper,the competion to the one that did the write up on my 56 Transtar last year.
    Ill post a link to the article if and when its published.
    Thanks in advance!

In the Oct 92 issue of TW,it gives the total production for 1960 of: 4,507 Hawks.
    568 were built for export.227 of those exported were 6 cyl cars. It shows 220 Hawks built in Canada.
    Also noted is that all Domestic '60 Hawks were 289,but a few for export were built with 259.

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I agree with the production numbers/information provided. Also, 1960 introduced finned brakes. A '60 Hawk won the Mobilgas Economy Run for 1960 over all V-8s. That is something that should fit the general interest audience and the times. You obviously know, 1960 was the first use of "just" Hawk for the name.

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Robert,
          When you get that article done, post a copy of it on here for everybody to see. Most of what you see in the printed mags today, people don't know what they're talking about, miss quotes,wrong facts and/or figures. It's not very often we get "one of our own" regular guys asked to put together an article. I'm waiting with pregnant anticipation![}
          Dan

Comment

Geez Dan! I didn't know you were "in a family way"![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That line comes from a local talk radio host here in HOTlanta and I mean hot! 96 degrees...96% humidity. Oh well, it could be worse
              Talked to Jimmy last night. I always tell him I "talk" to you on the forum, I wish he'd join in, but you know Jimmy, not enough hours in the day. E-mail me some time, we'll chat..old times.
              Dan

Comment

I will Dan. Last year these same people did a write up on my 56 Transtar that I sold this spring. I was happy to see,that even though the article was short with only one picture,they got the facts right. They feature one collector car every week and my truck and a club members GT Hawk are the only Studebakers they have ever chosen,so I thought it was time I sent them some pics of the Hamilton Hawk. They sure liked it! They want higher resolution pics and a better background as one had my Dads old 57 Chev 3-ton snowplow parked behind the Hawk (G). Trouble is you never know which week they choose to run it, I might have missed my truck article if I hadn't got a heads up from some freinds,because I never read the papers on my days off(to busy doing other stuff)

Comment

When I said it was a different paper I was wrong,same one,my memorys just not getting any better.

Comment

Yes,and thanks for the extra imfo Gary,I did not realize that 1960 was the first year for finned drums,I thought they were an option before this.

Comment

1956 Presidents already had finned drums.

Comment

Yes StudeGary you stand corrected, as all 289 equipped cars from '56 to '64 and '65-'66's with V-8 have the finned drums![:0]

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

1956 Presidents already had finned drums.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Comment

Of course, I have owned and worked on Studebakers prior to 1960 that had finned brake drums. What I was referring to is that for 1959 Hawks, finned brake drums were omitted. For 1960 Hawks, to go along with the upgrade from 259 to 289, Studebaker made finned brake drums standard for 1960 Hawks. Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said "re-introduced" rather than "introduced."

Gary L.
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Transtar56,DON'T tell her it's a 289!!!!.
                              Tell her it's a Studebaker ohv v-8.!!

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              60Lark
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X