PDA

View Full Version : '58 Packardbaker on e-bay

Guido
06-09-2006, 09:26 PM
This is one rough looking puppy, but maybe there is some interest. Item # 4648418488 if the link doesn't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-58-59-Packard-2-Door_W0QQitemZ4648418488QQcategoryZ6389QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser
And various other "treasures"

JDP
06-09-2006, 09:36 PM
It has bids, what the hell would you do with it. ??? :)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

Roscomacaw
06-09-2006, 09:37 PM
WOW! Sho ain' no Californee Car![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Guido
06-09-2006, 09:49 PM
2 bids and it even has a reserve on it! I notice there is no mention of the floor pans or trunk, but given the cancer in the rockers and rear quarters, I am sure they are gone. Given his uncertainity of the year, maybe he thinks he has one of those super scarce '59 models!:)

All kidding aside, I had a fellow who had bought a couple of trucks from me ask if I had a rusty truck to sell. It turns out that this rusty hulk was transported to Norfolk, Va and placed in a container and sent to Sweeden as yard art. At a sale price of $150 I made money and the fellow on the other end is happy!

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

bams50
06-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Such a cool car... luckily, according to my GPS it's 400 miles from me, or I'd be buying it and dragging it home [B)]

I've been watching for the 58 that was in the barn with my wagon; seller said the buyer was planning on "flipping" it- I assume on ebay...

Now, THAT one's savable....

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

JDP
06-09-2006, 10:13 PM
If it was 400 feet from me, I would not drag it home.
(Might walk over with a torch for the rear end and odds and ends):)

Studebaker News Group
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

tstclr
06-09-2006, 10:16 PM
If it were a Hemi-Cuda in that condition the bidding would be at over $35000! [xx(]

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

bams50
06-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd go 100 miles for it for $200... or maybe 200 miles if it was $100...

I'd love to have that rear clip; I'd send it to a guy who makes love seats out of car back-ends [8D]

Still lots of good parts on that to save others... maybe you're gettin' a little spoiled, JDP? :D

JDP
06-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Spoiled maybe, but I know a rust bucket when I see it. You need to pull a front clip with a 3/8 drive ratchet in 2 hours on a rust free car to become spoiled. Make no mistake, I'm glad there are others that would buy a car like that Packardbaker, also glad it's not me.:)
I just fixed a exhaust leak on my NM coupe and out of habit ran the torch hoses under the car to heat the manifold nuts. Silly me, they came right off with out even a squeak.

Studebaker News Group
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

Studedude
06-09-2006, 11:36 PM
quote:I'd love to have that rear clip; I'd send it to a guy who makes love seats out of car back-ends [8D]I don't feel so bad now. I want such a "love seat" in the Quonset, but have always been afraid to say so before now. [B)] If there were to be a similar Stude close to me, I might have one. ;)

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

imported_n/a
06-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Awesome. Some people swear at 'em, & I swear by 'em! I wouldn't mind having it around, because when you've got one o' them super-rare Packebakers, you never know what youre gonna need, eventually. It is missing much of the hard-to-find stuff. Too far away for me, though.

bams50
06-10-2006, 07:11 AM
I have the space to keep something like this; so I'd keep it around till I needed parts for a clean one... I do that now with Lincolns; have one mint, a couple drivers, several parts cars! I picked up the cars one by one- usually saved from demo derbies or the crusher [}:)]

I want to do the same with Studes; anyone got one in the NE that need to be moved? If possible, I'd get ALL those in the "doomed" thread, and keep them safe here [^] I love Lincolns and Studes... what an odd combination... I have NO IDEA where that combination came from, but here we are........ [:I]

Dave, have you ever seen a car end made into furniture? I've seen many, and have a friend that owns several! I talked to a guy at the Zephyrhills swap meet that makes them... eventually I want one for my TV room...

Boy, I just realized: When I die, my survivors are going to have a big mess to clean up...[:p]

Guido
06-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Though I am not quite 50, I have been thinking ahead to when my wife will be left with all my "treasures". Given that she is 10 years younger and recently had an great aunt die at 108, I suspect I will be the first to go. While I probably have $150K tied up in all my stuff, she views it all as junk and would dump it just to get it out of the way. I have provided her with a list of people that can help her dispose of my Studes, tractors, farm equipment, etc. that will hopefully allow her to get some return on my investment.

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

Scott
06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
JDP, it would need to be more solid to qualify as a rust bucket! This one wouldn't hold water.

bams50
06-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Sadly, it looks like this one was able to hold water for quite a while... :(

Of course, I learned with my wagon that pics can be deceiving; I was advised to avoid it based on the fact that the pics were horrendous- and that it was in NY... turned out to be extremely rust-free (actually from Colorado)...

Obviously this one shows lots of rust; but if it was closer, I'd go look at it before I wrote it off...

Guido
06-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Well JDP is closest, but he has written it off. I decided against bidding on the Champ pickup that sold for $280 on e-bay this week because I did not want to make an 8 hour round trip to West Virginia to get it.

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

Roscomacaw
06-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Guido, your signature line would lead one to believe you see this P-baker as a masterpiece.[}:)]

I'd save them ALL if I could. But the realization that I can't has lead me to reassess. Like you, my wife is younger. She's savvy enough to know that there's value in most of what I've accumulated here, but she doesn't have much of a clue as to what's what so far as worth of various items go. She does, however, know where to turn to get some help. That's the best I can hope for.
And really, since I am passionate about saving the stuff for the future, it's as much important to me that it escapes the smelter as gives my survivors any monetary return. As we watch ecology considerations and the rising price of scrap metal clean out long-standing "junkyards", these individual caches like, mine, Guido's & Robert's are the last outposts of recyclable parts for the aging Studebaker fleet. Of course, given county zoning zealots, our stuff isn't that safe either!
Chuck Naugle - out in the Arizona desert - thought his trove of Stude stuff was in a safe and secure place. He's slowly succumbing to the pressures of developers now.:( Then there's that wrecking yard in Fresno that I've talked about. IN BUSINESS since 1927!!!! And the city cites them so they can put in a new industrial park - which, of course, generates more revenues.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

r1lark
06-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Someone will buy it for the tail lights and housings.....those Packard tail lights are sought after for use on 'Kustoms'.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Guido
06-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I only store the '62 GT at my house, I have 5 others stored at a friend's where we have a local tractor show and the rest are on a rural piece of property I won 30 miles from my house. I have a 40 x 75 foot shed that houses all my tractors, a number of Studes and all my parts and various other treasures. You west coast guys are not familiar with the Beilers auction in February, I go every year and bring back a trailer load at $10 an item and then dump it in an antique booth I have. I loaded up on hubcaps last fall, paid $10 for three boxes and have probably brought in over $200 on what I have sold.

I realized long ago thet I couldn't rescue everything (and remind my wife of the same when she sees a wandering animal). I am not in it for the money, though if I had a choice of careers I would probably run a "junque" yard. With limited space I tend to buy what I can use and have hauled home some clunkers to part out for York.

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

imported_n/a
06-10-2006, 11:55 AM
That is true, but I still don't understand why someone would take them off a 55-58 Packard and bondo them onto a '49 Merc or whatever. A 58 Packard is already a Full Kustome! The path of least resistance would be to rehab the Packard.

bams50
06-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Thank you, Mr. Biggs; you said it perfectly...

We all have different perspectives; and we all have different levels of interest- or "love"- in this hobby. I have always been a car nut from a baby; grew up in the used car/auto repair business. This is not what makes me a car lover, though; my brother is NOT a car lover. I have extensive experience in all phases of auto repair/restoration; my ignorance is in the area of Stude specifics- which is why I come here! The main reason I retired from racing, while still productive, was I spent a lot of time dreaming about owning, fixing, and saving old cars, for future generations to see...

I can't explain why I feel as I do for old cars; but when I see a car like this, I think about the times I'm working on saving an oldie, and I'm missing a certain bolt, screw, clip, or part that stops my progress; and can head out to a parts car and grab it, and continue on to completion- I get a real kick out of that! I have the space, outdoor and under cover; and a junkyard license from the town; and live out in the boonies where it's not likely anyone will ever care; so I enjoy saving this stuff- NOT for profit, but for the enjoyment of protecting what I love!

If that makes lesser in someone else's eyes, or an oddball, that's OK; they may be right! But I can promise you all that ANY Stude within 400 feet of me- or even more- will be safe from the crusher- at least for as long as I live!!:D

P.S. To JDP: My current sweetheart, the 57 Provincial, IS one of those cars that can be taken apart easily due to lack of rust; I've had some like that, and some not so clean; so I know what you're referring to... but maybe I'll see if I can beat your record if I pull the front clip......;)

showbizkid
06-10-2006, 01:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

That is true, but I still don't understand why someone would take them off a 55-58 Packard and bondo them onto a '49 Merc or whatever. A 58 Packard is already a Full Kustome! The path of least resistance would be to rehab the Packard.

I don't think there is any "least resistance" with this particular car [:0][}:)]

---------------------------
Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

studegary
06-10-2006, 02:33 PM
If you already had one of these, or planned on getting one, and had a storage place, it would make sense to buy this one. I see many good parts, like the complete set of tinted windows, a dash that is not as bad as most, the tail lights, rear bumper. This car could be brought back, but not economically.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Roscomacaw
06-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Hah!:D Guido, I could've written this very line myself! : "I realized long ago thet I couldn't rescue everything (and remind my wife of the same when she sees a wandering animal). I am not in it for the money, though if I had a choice of careers I would probably run a "junque" yard."

SPOT ON!;)

And bams, me too...." I think about the times I'm working on saving an oldie, and I'm missing a certain bolt, screw, clip, or part that stops my progress; and can head out to a parts car and grab it, and continue on to completion- I get a real kick out of that!"
Yassir!
As well.... "If that makes lesser in someone else's eyes, or an oddball, that's OK; they may be right!"

One butthead on another forum called me a blight to my neighborhood when I lamented about the couple times someone's called the zoning boys on me. This same person has built Studes, no doubt using at least SOME parts that someone cared to take the trouble to save from the smelter.:( Talk about short-sighted! But I'm sure in his world of perfectly manicured lawns and parking ordinances, he's so proud of his law-abiding ways.[8]

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/1147884688670_100_0042.JPG

Here's a shot of my outdoor parts pile. Only one neighbor can see this from their property and they have to try hard to do so. None if this is visible from the street. In fact, from the street you can only see our modest home and a large, green lawn. No hulks, no parts - nothin'. But my neighbors KNOW it's there and a couple of them are bothered by it ..... EVEN THO there's more rusty clutter visible on their properties. They can get away with this because since this area is zoned Agricultural, anything that can be deemed somehow related to farming is exempt from consideration. Therefor you can have trucks and trailers of any size and in any state of decay and no one can say a thing about it! Long-dead tractors and ancient farming items are practically considered pieces of art! But vintage vehicles(cars)-(even tho FARMers used them in their daily functions!) are prime targets for discrimination.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

bonehead007
06-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey Mr Biggs,

Your parts pile looks like its in better shape than the Packard on Ebay....

StudeDave57
06-10-2006, 05:57 PM
You know, from 30 feet away those tail-lights and that rear bumper look to be better the ones on my 4 door... [:0] [B)] :( [V] :(
BUT THAT'S ABOUT ALL THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander 2dr
'57 Champion 2dr
'58 Packard sedan
'65 Cruiser

Studedude
06-10-2006, 07:07 PM
quote:Dave, have you ever seen a car end made into furniture? Oh, yeah! I have lain awake nights, designing such ideas. Of course, one must have the couch made from the rear body portions. The front portion extruding into a room, or "through" an outside wall would be equally cool. My dream (nightmare) is to build a bedroom suit, using cars/trucks/parts.

I have given this all too much thought, but will not attempt to put the total detail of thoughts into words here, as I'm sure I would have petitions from all over Studedom insisting I be declared insane.

The jest of it is; envision, if you can, what appears to be an old pick-up parked in a bedroom. The bed of the truck would be... the bed. Since nobody wants to climb in and out of a pick up bed, it would have to be a flat bed... one could use a bed spread that looks for all the world like hay bales... which would be appropriate, as in, "I'm ready to 'Hit the hay.'" :D The rear window area of the cab could house reading lamps, alarm clock, and/or other things generally found on a headboard. Open the cab doors, and there would be drawers for linens, etc. The windows would be laminated with figures of Mom and Pop, as if they were going down the road... like the old toy cars used to be. Open the hood, and find a horizontal turnstile, also with drawers for things 'n stuff. All lights would function, of course. My already developed parking meter timer thing could operate all lights, the vibrating mattress, etc. [:0] Drop in a coin, and the items you want to operate for a given time will shut off when the time runs off of the meter.

Without going into more detail, I have, in my mindís eye, developed a reasonable frame system, etc. for such a unit. Some assembly would be required, of course, as few bedroom doors are wide enough. :(

Thatís just the bed. ;)

You donít have to tell me Iím sick, I already know that.

quote:Boy, I just realized: When I die, my survivors are going to have a big mess to clean up...[:p]

Mine, too, and it makes me giggle. "Do you want Dad's parking meter collection?" "No, do you? BTW, what the hell was he thinking when he built that stupid parking meter/lamp/turn on other stuff contraption?" "What are we going to do with the gas pump/TV/fridge thing?" "What do you mean, WE?" OK, what about the bullet nosed clock/thermometer/wall hangy thingy?" "Beats me." Well, then there is the traffic signal, and all those stupid police lights." "Tell ya what, let's bring in a dumpster!"

OK by me, I'll be dead! [8D]

www.davesplaceinc.com

Roscomacaw
06-10-2006, 07:55 PM
There used to be a body shop outside Atlanta where the owner, his wife and his kids all slept IN the shop every night. Yes, they slept on a mattress - IN the bed of their 55 Ford pickup. The one they used for daily transportation.[:0]:(
They had a toilet in one corner of the shop and a hot plate for their gourmet "fixin's". Ah, the simple life.[:o)]

I like your idea Dave. When's the divorce?:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Studedude
06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
quote:I like your idea Dave. When's the divorce?:DTBA. ;) Having a well hidden realistic side, I know that no such concept could ever see the light of day "in the house." If funds were to become available to do some such, it would be in an area removed from the house, (in/around the Quonset.) This would be something I could enjoy on a regular basis, and Stude friends could enjoy as they pass through. I've had some such friends stay over in the past. Some chose to stay in the house, others chose the Quonset. Since some make that choice, I would love to improve the accommodations.

Speaking of divorce, I will be home alone this week, as What's Her Face is looking after grandchildren in another town for the next whole week. I have raised all of the toilet lids, and intend for them to stay in that position throughout the week, unless I decide I want them down. (If you are my friends, as I think you are, you will remind me to re-adust them NLT a week from today.)

Other experiments will occur as the week progresses. I have just enjoyed a dinner of Velveeta cheese, chased by cold beer. I liked it. :D Can't remember the last time beer was in the house. [8D] If I want WHF to know about any of this, I will tell her. [8D]

www.davesplaceinc.com

Guido
06-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Here's a shot of my outdoor parts pile.

Mr. Biggs,

Ah, the difference between the left and east coasts. If I left any of my parts outside for a period of time, they would be lookinbg worse that the '58 Packardbaker. Most everything around here has been hit by humidity and road salt, so any good parts I get I tuck away inside.

Guido

1946 M-16 fire truck
1948 M-16 grain truck
1949 2R16A grain truck
1949 2R17A fire truck
1955 E-38 grain truck
1957 3E-40 flatbed
1961 6E-28 grain truck
1962 Champ pickup
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
1964 Cruiser

stude freak
06-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Now thats my idea of junk art.You got to know how to classify your artwork Studebob. Just think what that pile of art would be worth in L.A.LOL.Im also reminded of Jeff Foxworthy s joke about rednecks and the number of running cars versus cars sitting on concrete blocks. Just pullin ya chain Bob looks like a very entreprenuring business you have.

stude freak
06-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey Dave lets have a Stude party just beer tater chips n cheese.but that would be a good idea to put in this week(in the shop of course ) while WHF is away you may need it when she returns.:D;)

Studedude
06-11-2006, 09:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Hey Dave lets have a Stude party just beer tater chips n cheese.but that would be a good idea to put in this week(in the shop of course ) while WHF is away you may need it when she returns.:D;)
Party plans are in progress! We're gonna crank up the Victrolla 'till the neighbors complain about the noise! [}:)]

www.davesplaceinc.com

Roscomacaw
06-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Dave, kin I bring some of my Pete Fountain LPs???[:p]

As to my parts pile(s), yeah, I've given thoughts to them being "art". Fact is, for a time I considered trying to construct GIANT lawn decor insects from Stude parts and srap iron. Can't you just see a big beetle as it opens it's wing covers (fashioned from Lark rear fenders), revealing it's membranous wings (2 C-K rear windshields) just as it's about to take flight?[:0] It's buggy eyes formed from two '47 Champion TL fixtures!:D

Honestly, the ONLY reason I haven't followed thru on this is because I'd have to move the damned, heavy things ever time I mowed the grass.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Studedude
06-11-2006, 03:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dave, kin I bring some of my Pete Fountain LPs???[:p]Yep, that should get the phone ringing down at the Sheriff's office! [:o)]

www.davesplaceinc.com