This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" 1955 Sedan

<h3>I finally brought home this '55 Deluxe Ultra Vista Champion Sedan that I bought in California a month or so ago. Fred Cook hauled it up to Olympia (he's leaving today from Olympia with his cousin for a couple of weeks of fishing in Alaska). I met him in Olympia and after a great lunch, loaded the car for the trip back to Bellingham (150 miles). Stopped in Stanwood and delivered a 2R seat for Fred.

This is really a beautiful little car. 95,000 mile original. Still has the Ben Beiger oil change stickers on the door jamb. (Ben Beiger was the Studebaker dealer in San Leandro, CA). It's been repainted the original Saginaw Green sometime in the past and has been reupholstered-not original, but a very nice job making for a real comfortable seat.

I really love the way it drives. With the first gear start auto, the around town acceleration is quite acceptable. The little 6 just purrrrrs. Steering is light and tight.

I've got some wide white walls waiting in the wings for it.

It has full wheel covers, but for some reason are the 1953 only tri-star ones. Anybody need these in trade for a set of the more generic '54-55 ones?</h3>

Dick, thanks for posting those pictures. That's a very clean little car you have there. I must say I'm jealous of the idea of buying a car that actually runs. She's sweeeet.

Tom_CentralValley
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr
    Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Nice car Dick.You left coast guys have all the luck.[8D]

Comment

Dick,

Great little car! Congratulations on acquiring it. I think a lot more people are starting to appreciate the '53 thru '55 sedans, especially the Champions. And I'm not just saying that because I just got one&lt;G&gt;!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

PUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYY![]

I never did look, dick. I might have a set of 55 covers. I'll see.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's a beauty Dick. I have the 2dr deluxe version, also with the later ultra vista windshield. Only difference is mine has the 3spd. with OD. They really are a very smooth riding car on the highway. And the flat 6 is as quiet as a mouse! Great purchase. Chris
            1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Comment

I'm supposed to be working on other things today but I couldn't resist taking a buffer to at least one panel. Shines like new [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lovely car, but why are the numberplates different

[?]

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

That is one beautiful car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orlando FLA
                  Orlando FLA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Lovely car, but why are the numberplates different

[?]
                    Good catch!

Actually the car is currently registered to the "new" style California plates shown in the picture with it on the trailer. IMHO, old cars don't look right with new style license plates. I've removed the front plate...

...and installed the '56 rear plate I had "in inventory". The car would have been delivered new with this plate.

I'll plead ignorance if stopped by the law

(BTW, snuck out and did a little more polishing )

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

One beautiful car, will you bring it to the National this September? I hope so.

Comment

That is one Sharp Carp!!! I am seriously starting to like the sedan bodies-2 doors and 4 doors. Nice to see a '55 with CHROME on the grille,so many get painted!

LaSalle,Il
                        61Hawk
                        60Lark
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

One beautiful car, will you bring it to the National this September? I hope so.
                          I think I'll bring my '54 Starliner. I do want to participate in the (unofficial) Friday night drags, and I'd have to time this one with a sun dial .

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've been wanting to take my dump truck to the local drag strip. Betcha I could get a whole lotta people to go against me.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
                            South Georgia Chapter
                            63 Daytona HT (project)
                            51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                            52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
                            And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

I finished running the buffer over it today. It really needs the wide whites. Maybe next week.

Also, it looks "bluer" in these pictures than it actually is. It's Saganaw Green which is a real 50's looking "Sea Foam" green.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X