This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got any seatbelt installation tips?

I'm about to install the long (72") seatbelts in the front seat of Stella. I was wondering if you guys had any tips/words of wisdom before I started drilling or whatever.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

My experience has been that people want to fasten them diectly to the frame. I would not recomend this. Back in the 60's Chev did this with the Corvettes due to the fiberglass floor pans by running a wire cable from the bottom of the seat plate to the frame. After some crashes resulting in death due to the car body ripping off the frame and the seat belt not moving and resulting in people being crushed by the belt. Next time you see a 63 to 67 corvette look underneth, these cables will be cut or removed. A good plate below the floor bolted to the seat belt is what I do. The size of the plate is up to you and some engineer could probally give you the exact size. Good luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I never liked the thin fender washers supplied with most "kits". I bought the 3 point kit from this place, the link shows the reason I liked it, the plate, the plate!
      Seat Belt Install Hardware, Seat Belt Anchor Plate, Seat Belt Brackets, Seat Riser, B-Pillar Bracket, L Bracket, Grade 8 Seat Belt Bolt, Seat Belt Shoulder Bolt,

Lap belts are pretty easy to install, just be carful where you drill through the floor pan.

Ross.
      Riverside, Ca.
      1957 Provincial X2
      1958 Transtar
      1961 Cruiser
      sigpic
      Ross.
      Riverside, Ca.
      1957 Provincial X2
      1958 Transtar

Comment

As Ross says, the Julianos stuff is good. They also have a whole section of how-to pages that show good pictures of installing both 2- and 3-point belts. Click the link at the top of their home page at http://www.julianos.com/

Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, MA
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I got a set for my Hawk from Studebaker International. Lap belts, but putting 3 pts in a Hawk is pretty tough to do with any comfort. However, I got a set for my Hudson at: http://www.seatbeltpros.com. Nice setups and good prices, also awesome selection of colors.

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I bought the good anchor plates (same as Juliano's but cheaper) from this guy's eBay store:
            Fatrodders eBay store.
            I preloaded that link to get you to a search for "anchor" in items and descriptions in his store. You'll find the anchor plates by scrolling down the page a bit. Meanwhile, you can see his 3-point seat belt kits, too. Much better prices than places like Julianos.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I have only added them to "C" cab trucks except where the anchors were already provided (i.e. my GT Hawk). I pulled the seat out and measured out where I wanted the anchors to be and then translated that to the bottom side to be sure I didn't drill through anything important!

I agree that having a good flat plate on the back side is important, especially when dealing with fatigued 40 - 50 year old metal.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
              1948 M-16 grain truck
              1949 2R16A grain truck
              1949 2R17A fire truck
              1955 E-38 grain truck
              1957 3E-40 flatbed
              1961 6E-28 grain truck
              1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
              1962 Champ pickup
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
              1964 Cruiser
              And various other "treasures"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rosstude

I never liked the thin fender washers supplied with most "kits". I bought the 3 point kit from this place, the link shows the reason I liked it, the plate, the plate!
                Seat Belt Install Hardware, Seat Belt Anchor Plate, Seat Belt Brackets, Seat Riser, B-Pillar Bracket, L Bracket, Grade 8 Seat Belt Bolt, Seat Belt Shoulder Bolt,

Ross.
                Ross, thanks for the links for these plates. I agree, this is a much better setup than the round washers. I have ordered some for my newly-acquired '54 Champion, to get rid of the round washers.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Comment

You want to spread the potential stress over as large an area as possible to prevent the anchors from pulling through. I have even fabricated some out of flat steel and tapped a hole through the middle. Be sure to use a lock washer or locking nut to prevent anything from backing apart.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
                    1948 M-16 grain truck
                    1949 2R16A grain truck
                    1949 2R17A fire truck
                    1955 E-38 grain truck
                    1957 3E-40 flatbed
                    1961 6E-28 grain truck
                    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
                    1962 Champ pickup
                    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And various other "treasures"

Comment

How do you install three point seat belts in a 56 GH, and how do you prevent the seat back from coming forward. I have original 56 Seat Belts still in original box. Anchoring one belt to the door is dumb. As you hit something, door flies open and you have nothing.

Sum up. Has anyone come up with a latch to stop seat back, and what about using belts like Mercedes and use the B pillar?

If you reply, could you cc me at bill@bondobilly.com Thanks

Comment

Contact JP on this site, he is the go to person for mods, esp on 56J models.

Comment

Bondo,
                          I no nothing of 56 GH's, but have done some thinking about securing seat backs. I have a Do#ge Dart, with a split back bench seat, and I wold like to better secure the rear seat in the wagon as well. The current plan involves using seat (lap) belt buckles, I noticed a hot rod pick up using them for the tail gate, and got to thinking. On the Dart, I plan on carefully slicing the upholstery on the back, bottom near the corner by the drivers door, and fabricating a plate to hold the male end of the buckle, and securing it to the tube frame under the seat. Then the plan calls for securing the female end (with the button) on top of the upholstery, on the seat back. A little different on the wagon, I need to figure out some kind if "popper", as it is difficult to reach both sides at the same time.
                          Maybe some one can offer more specific help on your GH.

Ross.
                          Riverside, Ca.
                          1957 Provincial X2
                          1958 Transtar
                          1961 Cruiser
                          sigpic
                          Ross.
                          Riverside, Ca.
                          1957 Provincial X2
                          1958 Transtar

Comment

When did they start putting spring-loaded latches on folding seats? I'd go to a junkyard and find an early latch seat and see if you could adapt the mechanism to your seat frame. If properly done it would look almost original. I'm thinking late sixties or early seventies?[?] I suppose they were government mandated but don't recall when.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ross - Thanks for the Julianos link. I ordered two sets for the front seat of my '57 sedan. I installed two new ones from NAPA in the backseat today and noticed the really wimpy fender washers and small bolts for the front seats. Glad I read this thread. Oh, and that '63 two door is SWEET!

Comment

Working...
                              X