X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc brake kits for 3E-8E trucks

Hello all,
    Some fellows on the Truck forum have showed interest in disc brake kits for their 3/4 ton trucks. I have been researching for quite some time and have found a rotor to use. They will fit right onto the stock Stude spindles. I would like to know how many people are interested. It is going to be a lot of work and I want it to be worth my while. Just an FYI, I won't have an exact price until I complete the first kit to know how much time and materials I have in it. It will cost more than the current 1/2 ton kits by Mr. Turner. The half tons are easier to make kits for because they use common size bearings. Again these kits will be eight lug, they will use the stock Stude wheels and they are for 1957 to 1964 3/4 ton trucks. The 56 and older trucks had a change in bearing sizes. I will figure them out but first I need to work on the later models. I would like some input on these. I need to know the year of your truck and whether it was a heavy duty model or a standard. They use different seals and bearings. Thanks.

Jake Varozza
    -Varozza Machine & Manufacturing-
    (530) 306-1829

-Home of John Studebaker-

Exciting news for the truck guys! If you can do your own machine
    work, then you can make it "worth your while". If you are in my shoes
    then you will get discouraged pretty fast. Machine work isnt cheap.
    Good luck with your project, I am sure many will be interested.

Tom

PS - you should edit this post, and add "Truck" to the title, it will
    help those that are interested find you.

"Tactful". Thats my new word, I will attempt to be "Tactful Tom" and
    not "Negative Tom".
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Ok. jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey I could use some disk brakes on my '55 2 ton!

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I would like to install discs on my '57 Transtar, but would require more information.

And, how do I know if mine is heavy duty or standard?

sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

These rotors will fit right onto the stock stude spindles. They will use chevy calipers and I will make my own caliper brackets. Stock Stude wheels can still be used. What else do you want to know? I haven't quite figured out the HD and standard yet, except the bearings they used and what years. So far the only way to tell if it is HD or standard is to measure the size of the spindle where the outer bearing rides on. If it is still unclear I could probably draw up a diagram. Let me know. Please ask more questions, I'm willing to work with you guys to get what you want.
            Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

quote:What else do you want to know? I haven't quite figured out the HD and standard yet, except the bearings they used and what years. So far the only way to tell if it is HD or standard is to measure the size of the spindle where the outer bearing rides on. If it is still unclear I could probably draw up a diagram. Let me know. Please ask more questions, I'm willing to work with you guys to get what you want.
              Jake-
              It is a shame a guy like me grew up loving old cars, because I don't have a mechanical bone in my body. Therefore, I don't really know what questions to ask. I think I can measure the spindle, if there is no other way to know the difference between "HD" and "standard." Measuring devices and I rarely agree, but I'm willing to try. <G> A diagram won't help me, 'cause I'm an idiot.

I know that such a conversion would require a different master cyl., etc. Are you offering a complete, turn-key kit, which would allow me, with some help from a mechanic, to bolt on and go? I'm either going to need some new drums, or a disc conversion before too long, so I am very interesting in what you have to offer.

sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
              X