PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a clock for '51 Commander?

Eman
05-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Does anyone have an extra clock, in good condition, for a '51 Commander they'd want to sell me? :) As long as I'm under there redoing wiring, I might as well add one, right? Unless they're more of a headache than they're worth.

And since I'm asking, my speedometer is getting kinda nasty looking. Can I clean the numbers pretty easily without screwing up their luminescence or should I just try and find another one of those too?

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog
www.alabamastudes.com

rockne10
05-28-2006, 11:10 PM
I was going to say I have a clock but it's in my dash. But you're looking for someone with an extra clock. Can't help you there. They do make a nice addition.

See this thread about dash illumination.
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3504&SearchTerms=Black,light

Commander51
05-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Eric, I've got a clock delete, which may be better than a dead clock, at least for the time being. Clocks are not uncommon at swap meets, and I can keep my eye out for one for you (I've got your number, of course...) Don't worry about wiring; you'll want to put a new battery-powered movement in it anyway.

The trick about servicing dash instruments is the bezel surrounding the glass. The tabs holding the bezel in place are tiny and prone to break off--and then you're screwed.

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

Roscomacaw
05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
And - no - you can't "clean" those numeals without eliminating them.[B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Eman
05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
I reckon I'll keep an eye out for a nice speedo then too. I'm not in any rush, just figured if I was on my backside underneath the dash, it couldn't hurt. Thanks.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog
www.alabamastudes.com