This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping fenders

I am looking into shipping some CK fenders from the west coast to the east coast. What are the preferred shipping methods for you that have had to ship long distance ?

If I can, I ship via Grayhound.

Comment

I shipped a Buick fender to Australia and I made an open pallet with a 1/4" plywood floor that I bolted the fender to in order to give it some protection without making the weight too high. I had to ship it by truck to Oakland and that can be expensive. I think it cost $250.00 but it's been awhile ago so I might be wrong.

1961 Lark

Comment

It CAN go Greyhound IF it meets their measurement parameters. And it has to be carted TO a Greyhound station and picked up therefrom. I've used them a couple of times with satisfactory results, but it wasn't with a big piece of sheet metal.
        I did ship a pair of rear leaf springs to a fellow forum member and it worked out good. Was one hell of a bunch cheaper than UPS or FedEx would've been.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs, this is 2 K rear fenders and 2 front fenders total weight of 200 lbs without any packing.

Comment

In addition to Greyhound you may be able to find a Less Than Load (LTL) carrier that can help. You will probably need to put them on a pallet, but the carrier should be able to shrink wrap the whole thing for you.

A word of caution, be sure you know how much it weighs when you ship. I once sold a 4 in 1 bucket off a front end loader on e-bay and shipped it from Virginia to British Columbia. Checked with about a dozen carriers and went with the cheapest. Problem was I estimated the weight and it ended up being 1000 pounds heavier than expected which cost an additional $750. Needless to say, I ended upside down on the whole deal.

Guido

Guido

1946 M-16 fire truck
            1949 2R16A grain truck
            1949 2R17A fire truck
            1955 E-38 grain truck
            1957 3E-40 flatbed
            1961 6E-28 grain truck
            1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
            1962 Champ pickup
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
            1964 Cruiser

Comment

I received a fender (1961 inner/outer assembly) shipped Greyhound several years ago. No problems.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I shipped two doors and a tailgate greyhound and was very pleased with the travel time and price.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I shipped two truck fenders a couple of years age from Iowa to Pennsylvania for $65.00. I doubt you'll get that price today, but what I did was to build a crate with the fenders bolted to the bottom. Totally enclosed the crate, a big wooden box. Then I turned the crate up on one side and marked it this side up. Put a couple of 2X4's under it with construction glue for a forklift, and a couple of rope handles on the two ends. Most of the cost of shipping is handling and delivery. I took it to the trucking company myself in a pickup truck so they could load it with a forklift, and the buyer (eBay deal) picked it up at the trucking dock at his end. If they can handle it with a forklift and use a loading dock, it will really cut your cost. If they have to deliver to your house, that is a lot of the cost. If you do use a truck, be sure to ask if any discounts can be applied, often there are discounts available, but you have to ask, they won't offer.

Comment

Working...
                  X