This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker in St. Louis 81

Does anyone have any info on the Studebaker in St. Louis '81 'Gateway to the Best' 17th international meet Studebaker Drivers Clup Inc. St Louis MissouriJuly 13-17 1981. I have every book and brochure on it and I would like to know what it is.
    Thanks

Or what it was.

Well, since the 42nd International Meet will be in Omaha this September, I would think it was the International Meet twenty-five years ago.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know what issue of Turning Wheels covered that meet?

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1960lark6

Does anyone have any info on the Studebaker in St. Louis '81 'Gateway to the Best' 17th international meet Studebaker Drivers Clup Inc. St Louis MissouriJuly 13-17 1981. I have every book and brochure on it and I would like to know what it is.
        Thanks
        I was there. It was the Studebaker Drivers Club annual international convention for 1981. What else do you want to know?

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

well, I would like to know what all this stuff is worth. I have letters from the president of the Studebaker Drivers Club, I have a map of the place the show was at. And alot of brochures.

Comment

Honestly? Not much. I don't know that I'd even bother with putting the stuff on ebay, for that matter. Nice mementos - maybe - if you'd been there, but there's little to no historic value to it to my way of thinking.[8)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Youse Guys are breakin' my heart!

I've always been very proud of that pretty white porcelain STL '81 coffee mug that I use every day at work, and of my copy of the Sunday magazine insert from the St. Louis Globe Democrat with the STL '81 article inside and the yellow Commander roadster, that was later featured in "The Color Purple", on the cover?

Oh, wait a minute, maybe this speaks to why I can't walk inside my garage for all the "valuable" parts crammed in it.

Comment

I was there also, about died selling in the flea market because of the heat. Sadly, I agree that your items have very little cash value.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                63 R2 4 speed GT White
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti
                62 Daytona HT
                53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I was there also, about died selling in the flea market because of the heat. Sadly, I agree that your items have very little cash value.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                  63 R2 4 speed GT White
                  63 GT Hawk
                  63 Avanti
                  62 Daytona HT
                  53 Coupe

And the humidity. Don't forget the humidity.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

John and Skip state what I remember about the St. Louis Meet. The weather was the most unbearable of any SDC International Convention that I have been to in the past 35 years and that includes Orlando and Las Vegas. The temperature and humidity both hovered around 100. I think that I could only stand being outside for about one hour at a time.

Gary L.
                    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What a difference in parts prices between now and then. I bought a set of stainless NOS gravel shields for my 47 Champ 2 Door at that meet for $25.00. And the seller had 4 sets of them and I only bought one set as that was all I could afford back then. What a return that would have been if I had bought the extra sets!. Back then we also had a Studebaker parts vendor in town, Special Interest Autos. It sure was nice to run over and get what you needed.

And yes it was hot that day. We had our daughters out there, the youngest was 7 mos old and the oldest was 25 months, they really loved that heat too!.

Milt
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Special Interest got bought by Packard Auto which, in turn, got bought by Studebaker International.

The weather hasn't changed. It's still hot and humid in July but there are more Studebakers on the road now than there were then because of these vendors.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X