This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Intake Manifold

If you do not read the Racing Studebaker sight and are interested in the intake here is the info posted on it.

<<Had a few asking about the progress of the intake. As I mentioned, the fellow is busy with up front paying customers. I contacted him again a few days ago and asked what it would take to get started on the intake. He said he would take another look at the heads and decide what it would take and get back with me.

He called this morning and said if he had 12 people that would pay up front, he would get on it and probably could have it finished by this fall, maybe even August or September. He said after looking it over more closely, he thinks he can make it and will work better by not raising it much but keeping it more flat to line up better with the intake ports on the heads.

So here we are. If 11 other guys will come up with $425 (cost of the intake) he will get started as soon as he has the money. If we can get most of the 12 but lack a small number, I will put up the difference and surely we can sell a dozen.

If you are one that will do this, email me. If we get at least 11 others I will give you his address to send your check directly to him. If we don't get the 11 but come close and I make up the difference, I'll have you send me the check and put them with mine to make his total. This way he and I both will know if it's a "go"or not.

Don't just say you will on this site. Send me an email at

tedharbit@aol.com

so I will know for sure who and how many have commited to doing this.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

On another subject about the connecting rods; Nimesh already placed an order for several sets a few weeks ago. I don't know what he has to sell them for but I'm sure it will be as reasonable as any other source.

Ted>>

I would be interested if it is a three deuce intake like the one offenhauser makes for the SBC.

Comment

Why not buy the new repro of the Smoljan triple deuce manifold from Dave Theibault?
      Dave can set it up for you drilled for three Stromberg WW Stude carbs, or the older Holleys or Strombergs.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I would be interested if it is a three deuce intake like the one offenhauser makes for the SBC.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

We need to be realistic here. Ted has really worked hard to come up with a manifold solution and he is driving it to give us the best for the most number of folks. This cannot be an ala carte selection process, 3x2 and 2x4 is nice but not practical for most. The single 4bbl has the most appeal and hopefully it will be a successful effort. Thankfully this is guided by a very knowledgeable source and not a committee.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I wish Ted would post some info on the manifold since I can't find it on the racing forums.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Black
          63 R2 4 speed GT White
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti
          62 Daytona HT
          53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

We need to be realistic here. Ted has really worked hard to come up with a manifold solution and he is driving it to give us the best for the most number of folks. This cannot be an ala carte selection process, 3x2 and 2x4 is nice but not practical for most. The single 4bbl has the most appeal and hopefully it will be a successful effort. Thankfully this is guided by a very knowledgeable source and not a committee.
            Well said.

64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

I wish Ted would post some info on the manifold since I can't find it on the racing forums.]

I can't give you much info because there isn't any yet as no one has custom made these before, at least to my knowledge.

I took a block, a set of heads and a stock intake to him and asked him if he could make an aluminum set of heads that would be performance orientated. He spent a day or so studying them and said he could but as you probably remember, we couldn't get enough serious people to commit so that was eliminated, at least for now.

Then he said he could make a performance intake that might sell and if it did, then he would consider doing heads but only if the intakes sold well enough to warrant trying the heads.

I am leaving all the technical stuff up to him as he is the "pro" and I can only guess. He did say it would be a single plane, the heat passage would be blocked off as he would make the plate to the head so it would be one piece and would be bolted on with regular 3/8" bolts and would not use the clamps that the stock center two on each side now use. He thinks the intake should not be a "tall" one but more flat due to the entry into the head (should not be more than about a 1/4" taller than the stock intake). He explained some of this to me and it made sense but again, I'm not very sharp on the technical side of things. I asked about the coil mounting similar to what the stock intake has and he said that would be no problem.

This is about all I can tell you at this point. If we get enough commitment on it this time and soon, they should be ready by September.

Ted

Comment

Working...
              X