This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does this sound right?

my dad owns a 1950 studebaker coupe, and it dosnt run because its been sitting around to long, the last time it was used was around the 60s and the clutch had sliped because there was a leak and oil got on it, and my grandpa didnt want to take the time on it to fix and just got another car. anyways, my dad has it now and its in good condition, the body isnt dented up, there is a little rust on it and the interior is fine. hes going to sell it for $800! even though its not running, in my book that price is way to low! what do you guys think? my dads going to be kicking himself in the but for it or no?

julie

I think that's low. I think you should fix it and drive it. At the very least, get it operable. You'll get a lot more for an operable vehicle than one that's been sitting forty years.

Now that you've found us, join us.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Is it a Starlight coupe(windows go right around the back), or is it a business coupe with just a single bench seat? Either way if the car is solid someones going to get a deal at 800.
      Your sure its not a two door sedan?,a lot of people not familiar with Studes might think those are coupes.

Comment

Where is it located?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

Comment

Well,if you really want top dollar for it,why not run it on E-Bay. Business coupes are becoming very popular,especially with the hot rodders (hope that dosen't happen)
            I used to own a 47 version of that car,had a lot of fun with it,and hate to think of what I sold mine for.

Comment

Again, where is it located?

Comment

Put it on e-bay. It'l bring what ever it merits if you post a lot of forthright photographs. Tell it like it is. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Biz coupe? Champion or Commander? location?

just so you know, biz coupes are HOT, to some people even more desirable than a Starlight. I mean, it's pretty much only good for parts, $800 might be a little much

nate

(yeah, like I have any place to put another car)

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Third time-

LOCATION?

It may make a difference in what it's worth...

Comment

its in orangevale california, and its a champion, is it considerd as a more rare model??

julie

Comment

A Champion has a smaller engine than a Commander and to some people is less desirable, but a business coupe is still a desirable body style. Unfortunately (if you are a purist) if you sell the car it will probably be snapped up by a street rodder, as the Champion engine is a little, um, how do I say this diplomatically - sedate for modern driving without modification. Probably would want to upgrade the brakes too. The body, however, is very nice looking indeed so rodders love 'em.

A Commander biz coupe would be very rare indeed, as most of the cars sold in that body style were work vehicles and therefore tended to be what we'd call "base model" cars today. But of course I had to ask... I can't remember if it was '50 or '51 but in one of those years there was only *one* Commander business coupe made.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The only bullet nose Commaner biz coupe was a 51, and I think it was painted Surf gray. I've seen a coulpe of nice clones though. I always thought that a roadster made from one would look cool. It'd be already filled in behind the front seat. And park it next to my 56 Prez convertible... [] I know of one a guy made a rat rod out of. Totally rotted away, he clipped it and out a typical Chevy 350 in it, and it's slap full of bondo, and he wants about 3k for it. <g> Get yours running, THEN sell it. Good luck.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
                          South Georgia Chapter
                          63 Daytona HT (project)
                          51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                          52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
                          And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

well to get it running and be legal enough to drive safely would probably be about 9,000 (god it hurts just saying it [V]} so do you guys think it could sell for around 1,500? or maybe more?

julie

Comment

Juliann:

$9,000 is a lot of money for a restoration, and maybe it needs every cent and more. However, I would get a few more quotes, because $9,000 to get driveable may be way too high.

Without seeing the car, I would first find a local friendly reputable mechanic to spend an hour to list everything that is mechanically wrong. It is very likely that they will even be able to start it up within the hour. (not using the fuel in the gas tank.). My guess is that you are in for at least a new/rebuilt gas tank ($200), some transmission work (likely $200), and all brakes including lines. (likely $800, but this could vary) and some body work. Working motors and transmissions can be found very reasonably (under $1,000) if they require replacement.

In any case, the money spent would probably be worth the money because an ebay buyer will want to know what needs to be fixed and what is OK. Pictures are also required.

Getting an additional $600 for selling a car ($900 to $1,500) isn't a big stretch, if the car is good enough for a person to restore.

If it is too far gone, it may not be worth anything.

Good luck.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X