This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doors on a 56B

Can someone suggest the first ajustment I should make on the doors of a 56B coupe. The doors are about a 1/4 in. out at the back bottom, like the door is not closed. The front edge of door is flush and the top of doors are closed good. Doors open and close easily. Does not look good like this.[xx(]

I shudder to tell you what they would do at the factory.

Situate a 2x4 between the top rear corner of the door and the body and gently push the bottom rear until the door conforms. They would probably push violently, but they knew what they were doing.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

HA! I "Adjusted" a door like that once, not one of my prouder moments, but it worked.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Ratliff

Can someone suggest the first ajustment I should make on the doors of a 56B coupe. The doors are about a 1/4 in. out at the back bottom, like the door is not closed. The front edge of door is flush and the top of doors are closed good. Doors open and close easily. Does not look good like this.[xx(]
        John,
        IIRC, that coupe had new rear quarters put on it when it was painted. I wonder if those can be/should be adjusted.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

This 2X4 technique sounds babaric but it works. I twisted the tailgate on my PU, thought it was ruined. Went to the body shop and asked if there was a way to save it. The guy grabed a chunk of wood, put it between the gate and body on one side, pushed hard on the other. Worked great, no charge!

Don Wilson
          53 Commander Hardtop
          64 Champ 1/2 ton
          WA state
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Ratliff

It probably looks like the way the factory built it, but still not good. I have seen many original C/K bodied cars where the lower rear of the door sticks out 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I think the only thing that you can do is a little forming. I am assuming that you are using the rear quarter and the rocker panel as your guide.

Gary L.
            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ive seen to many C/K's,especially K's,with this problem too,and I never found a way to really fix it.
              To me,it really ruins the look of the car. Im SO glad my 60 Hawk has doors that close right from top to bottom,no gap.

Comment

Working...
              X