PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker barn finds

65cruiser
05-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Look at these--there are several Studebakers:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeQ2dzlister

It's a shame, it looks like these cars were loved and one point and allowed to deterioriate in this decrepit barn.

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/Logo1.jpg

Transtar56
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
That barn must have had a lot of leaks,and home to many pigions.
If the mileage claims are true,it sure is a sad thing,look at that 58 Packard.

65cruiser
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, if you look at the interior shots those cars looks like they've been very damp. It's a real shame. They obviously belonged to someone in the club. Even the old 58 Chevy looked like it was in pretty good shape when parked.[V]

That Commander deserves to be checked out. With a little elbow grease it might cleanup quite nice. The dash looks perfect. I wonder if those mileage figures can be believed[}:)]?

Roscomacaw
05-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Of the 58 Pack, the seller says: "We've recently had it running...." Right.[xx(] But hey! ANOTHER 58 Packard hardtop! Amazing survival rate for these and other 58 Packards!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

65cruiser
05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Is it me, or are 58s coming out of the woodwork lately? I've seen what seems like 10 58 Packards and Studebaker Commanders go across Ebay in the last couple of months.

redvoyager
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me get the wagon. She says my 2 door wagon will have to go if I do....I gotta re-think this, or better yet come up with a better arguement.

Norm
58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
58 2 door wagon
Davenport, Fl

05-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Good luck, better think long and hard about the right thing to say, that 57 wagon looks neat.

Dan White
05-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Someone told me they are still making '57 and '58 Packards in Canada. I told them they were wrong, they are making them in China now.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

65cruiser
05-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Sheesh! I thought everybody knew that[:p][}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Someone told me they are still making '57 and '58 Packards in Canada. I told them they were wrong, they are making them in China now.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

glen
05-12-2006, 08:41 AM
That is only because the Moscow factory was closed in 1991!

Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

imported_n/a
05-12-2006, 10:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT
I have heard this, too. Only, that they are being made right on the far northern border of India, in a town called Soouth Bendh. They are marketed there as "Packistan-Bakers[8].

tomnoller
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM
That '58 is a good candidate for a NuFinish commercial!

JBOYLE
05-12-2006, 11:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by glen

That is only because the Moscow factory was closed in 1991!
Glen Brose
53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Most of you probably know this....but for those who don't..:D

That story isn't too far from the truth, FDR sent his buddy Joe Stalin the prewar Packard tooling during WWII.
The first Russian limos were based on them...heck they may have been direct copies.
Even the ZIL and GAZ limos of the 70's still looked like what a '63 Packard probably would have looked like.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I have seen a picture of a russian limo based on a 56 Packard.

studegary
05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
That seller is in the same part of New York State that I sold my '58 Packard hardtop to about 25-30 years ago. Mine was red and white with the rare, optional, all vinyl interior.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

imported_n/a
05-12-2006, 01:24 PM
While we are on the subject of 58 Packards, how many keys should they have, and which key blank should they use? Thanks. I see that the seller is offering a 58 engine. It is pictured in a stationwagon. I wonder what has happened to the wagon body? Six or seven years ago, there was a Russian-made car being stored at a business near here. It was maybe a late-fifties or newer sedan. It did have a resemblance to the 56-58 Studebaker sedans, and used a Salisbury type rear axle with the removable inspection plate like a Dana 44. I took some photos of it.

studegary
05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

While we are on the subject of 58 Packards, how many keys should they have, and which key blank should they use? Thanks. I see that the seller is offering a 58 engine. It is pictured in a stationwagon. I wonder what has happened to the wagon body?

Two different keys to a set. Three if it has a locking gasoline cap. Doors and ignition is one key and trunk and glove box is the other key.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Transtar56
05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Someone mentioned on the other forum,these cars look like they could be flood victims,and the closer I look I can believe it.They where obviously car club owned not to long ago,makes you wonder how they got this bad so quick.
Also,I don't believe the sellers mileage claims,look at the brake pedal on that Packard.If hes lying about that,Id be very carefull about paying to much for any of them.Your probaly looking at major restorations.

redvoyager
05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I thought about the flood angle but I am thinking it would be pretty expensive to have shipped them to NY. I was thinking about flying up there to have a good look. Anyone else around there who could do that?

Norm
58 2 door wagon
Davenport, Fl

bams50
05-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Norm, just read this; I live about an hour away; and would love to shoot down tomorrow (Sat.)!! Did you end up flying in?

I'll call the number Sat. a.m. and see if I can see this stuff tomorrow...

If anyone's interested, call my cell: 315-440-7351 and I'd be glad to do a walk-around on the phone, and take pics if I can get with the seller; be glad to help!

Let me know!!!:D:D

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

bams50
05-12-2006, 10:56 PM
P.S. I'm up by 7 a.m. Sat. EST... will try the seller's # about 8... if I get ahold of him, I'm heading down right away- if anyone wants me to... I have to be back home in the afternoon; so earlier the better!

bams50
05-13-2006, 07:22 AM
UPDATE: Spoke with the seller this morning- will be leaving at 9 a.m... if anyone is interested, call my cell- 315-440-7351- and I'll be glad to look at anything for you! I'll be taking pics, also- even though I haven't figured out how to post them here yet....[:I]

chocolate turkey
05-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Speaking of barn finds.......just last week I was taken to a remote property 20 miles from home and was introduced to a dozen long-lost Studebakers, hidden in the brush and weeds and beyond reasonable restoration. These were all running, complete vehicles, mostly trucks, not more than 10-15 years ago. What a sad sight to see.
They all have to be moved within the month and their fate is to be determined. Three are running, two are driveable, the prices inflated at the moment. We'll be watching this collection with interest.

Brian Curtis

Brian K. Curtis

54-61-62
05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I looked at the wagon listing on ebay - I'd be very very cautious bidding. The seller states they are in NY, and had purchased and drove the car, if that is the case, WHY does it have Colorado plates on it? Just dosent fit. Interior looks really bad - missing door panels, perhaps taken off to hide water damage? This is one of those cars I would not even think of bidding on unless I saw it in person first!

Ken

redvoyager
05-13-2006, 08:27 PM
It is a quandry, but also exciting. I appreciate BAMS50's offer. My number is 407 595 3745. My main question is rust, smell, and a place to get it driving. I was thinking of flying in working on it a couple days or more and driving it to Fla. Am I too optimistic, or crazy. When I bought the 2 door wagon, I flew to So Lake Tahoe and was thinking of driving it because I couldn't find anyone willing to go up the mountain to get it. After I got it home I was glad I had it shipped instead.
When I bought my 56 Pres a couple years ago I went to Trinidad Co. I had my brother drive my van and tow dollie from Orlando. I got in the car and thought the emer brake was working. So I pulled out the rock from the wheel and rolled it down the driveway toward the tow dollie. As I passed the dollie going DOWN the mountain I realized I had no brakes and no way to stop. I did the Fred Flintstone and kept the 2 right wheels in the dirt to slow down. Then came the 90 deg turn of the road or the straight down way over the cliff. We made the turn and fortunately there was a dip in the road (besides me) that has steep enough on the other side for me to get it into Park. It stopped right in front of a Baptist Church.

Norm
58 2 door wagon
Davenport, Fl

05-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Another Studebaker saved by the Baptists!

DEEPNHOCK
05-14-2006, 09:00 PM
IIRC, I have been in that barn and have looked at these, and about a hundred other cars. The deceased owner was a dealer in town and he bought a lot of cars throughout the years and kept them in the old dealership building, and various other places, barns included. There are/were dozens of super rare models (Cadillac's, a Horch, you name it...), all in fair to poor, but complete condition. There was a family dispute going on last I heard and the disposal was all tied up in knots. I suppose time marches on. I really wonder if there was an onsite auction...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Look at these--there are several Studebakers:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeQ2dzlister

It's a shame, it looks like these cars were loved and one point and allowed to deterioriate in this decrepit barn.

bams50
05-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I did get to see these; and took lots of pics... surprized no one called me about them...[|)]

They all have been damp for many years... lots of mold in & out... 64 may have been the most recent to run; wagon and Packard have been sitting over 20 years... obviously couldn't pull up mats, but all floors crunch when you step on them... couldn't really get under them because the barn is as seen in the pics: filthy and wet...[xx(]

Too bad; probably nice stuff when they went in...[V]

bams50
05-15-2006, 09:15 PM
ANOTHER UPDATE:

I went back and looked at these cars again... I think the wagon is actually pretty good- solid underneath, and straight; and complete, other than interior door panels and handles...

The 64 isn't bad; but I don't really feel it's a 12K mile car...? Plus, I was concerned about seller saying "soft plug" problem- low on coolant, so couldn't tell if it had anti-freeze or if it froze up......

Upon further inspection of the Packard, it was the worst off of all... rockers were bondo'ed, and couldn't open the rt. door; plus it has obviously not been running since forever... desirable car, but VERY rough...

So I bought the wagon! I've always loved these; so I took a chance on it... I already have my first 2 steps planned (after getting it home, of course...;)):

1. Presure wash entire car and engine
2. Pull the mats and see just how solid the floors really are <fingers crossed>

Next will be to change oil, clean the points and plugs, rig a gas can to the fuel pump, put in a new battery, hit the key, and see what happens...[:p]

Although no one here took me up on it, I reiterate my standing offer: I will be glad to check out, and take pics of, Studes in my area for anyone seriously interested- free of charge! I couldn't believe no one was interested in these cars, but I guess the old saying's true: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...:)

Anyway, thanks for laying off the wagon for me.........[8D]

JDP
05-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Glad to see you get the wagon. I LOVE barn cars, I get to see big improvements with just soap and water. Be sure and post some before and after pix once you've cleaned off the years of crap.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
64 Daytona HT
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Black
63 R2 4 speed GT White
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti
62 Daytona HT
53 Coupe

bams50
05-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Thanks, JDP... I'm going to take pics of every stage of the "reawakening" of this car; already have the barn pics, so next is the outside-the-barn, loaded-on-the-tow-dolly pics (hopefully no upside-down-in-the-median pics! [:0][B)])

I thought about buying the 64, cleaning it up, and re-selling it to try to make a buck for the wagon resto; but just too many unanswered questions... besides, how much could it be worth anyway?

My plans are to restore the wagon to original, with a few mods: disc brakes/dual master, maybe A/C... also, thinking about replacing the black with (period correct) red...

I love this car! One of the reasons I bought it was because I'm a wagon nerd [:o)]... it's not easy to find one that fits my criteria- mostly solid and complete, nearby, and not too much cash outlay at once...;)

I'll start a new thread on this car to chronicle the process as soon as I get it home (and figure out how to attatch pics...!) and will be on here pestering you all with lots of questions as time goes on :D

Thanks in advance for all your support!!

Bob

P.S. Still want a 61 Lark; I see the one I asked you all about last week is back on ebay; came down a whole $100 to $1700...[|)]

bams50
05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Talked to the seller; am picking up the wagon Friday [8D][8D] had a few conversations with him... says he's had nothing but problems with the other car buyers...

He said the seller reneged on the 58 Packard, and asked me if I knew anyone who wanted it- for $2200...

What could this thing be worth? Looks very complete, mostly solid, interior complete but rough- last registered in 1982... says it was started last Sep. but I don't believe it... has a "TT" emblem on the trunk...no hubcaps...

I have no idea if this is a rare or valuable car; I think it would look a WHOLE lot better if it was washed; definitely restorable...

Auction was no reserve, and ended at $2026, I believe; so I'm betting it could be bought on a quick cash sale for $1600-$1800... if it's a good deal, I'll buy it and bring it home; or hook up someone else that wants it- and hold on to it till you can get it, if wanted...

I'm not looking to make anything- just would love to see it rescued by someone who'll make use of it...

I have several pics I took of it...

What do you all think?

bams50
05-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Anyone have an opinion on this Packard? I'll be there tomorrow, and need an idea of what it's worth...

Help me figure out if this car's worth messing with...[?]

Thanks!

Transtar56
05-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Any Packards worth saving IMHO. Buy it as cheap as you can get it since your close,if it turns out to be to much of a project,you can always clean it up and re-sell it on E-Bay.
A few hours of washing and cleaning could make the difference of many dollars,especially because you could take good pictures out in the sunlight.

bruceg
05-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Congratulations on the wagon. I checked it out on E-Bay and thought it looked pretty cool. Make sure to post picks, I'm a wagon nerd myself.