This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 Pick up front end and brakes

I'd like to make my 47 M5 a daily driver and will need to do something with front end. Can hardly hold it still. Should I rebuild or install a kit, ie Mustang II. Also would like to install a dual cylinder master cylinder. Any experience is appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by 4austin

I'd like to make my 47 M5 a daily driver and will need to do something with front end. Can hardly hold it still. Should I rebuild or install a kit, ie Mustang II. Also would like to install a dual cylinder master cylinder. Any experience is appreciated.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

While you are fixing, don't forget to replace the reach rod (p/n 666822). There are still NOS ones around. There is also the ball stud that can be replaced or turned 90 degrees if it has a flat spot.

The M5 king pins come in two lengths. The older ones (p/n 665297)were used with steering knuckle forging # 100368 and are 5-3/32 long. The newer ones (p/n 677608) were used with knuckle forging #102512 (a service replacement part for M5's) and are 5-19/32 long. The short pins are no longer available, but you can buy the longer ones in a kit from many Stude vendors, along with the bushings, bearings, shims, and plugs. Have an automotive machine shop grind off exactly 1/4 inch from each end to get back to the 5-3/32 length. I think you can use the longer bushings in the old knuckles as long as the grease holes are in the right places (or drill new ones). You can also replace the old style knuckles with ones from any '49-'64 half-ton trucks or '49-'55 3/4 ton truck and use the longer pins as is.

The easiest way to work is to pull the whole axle with knuckles and take it to the machine shop so they can press out the old bushings and put the new bushings and pins in. It sounds like a lot of work, but it will be very much faster and cheaper than installing a whole new front end. You may want to bolt in brakes from a '63 or '64 half-ton truck or a Turner disk brake set-up while you have everything apart.

Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, MA
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
      X