Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Prestolite / Honda Alternator conversion

Okay,

Per this following post, I took the suggestion and went and got myself a late 70's Honda CVCC alternator for my 64 daytona.

My question is exactly what is wired to what since there is more terminals on the Honda alternator....the tech page mentioned in the above thread says something about this but does not address what exactly goes where!

Here is the Honda alternator on my 64, sure fits and looks nice! Can somebody tell me the correct wiring as I really don't want to fry my voltage regulator!

Thanks
    Kent

Kent; I believe Tom was saying that the medium sized wire with the flat spade connector (Regulator "Field" Term.) goes on the "F" terminal on his configuration of Honda unit, but I see yours looks a bit different. It was however the one of the two side-by side Terms. closest to the large lugged, insulated Power Term. The smallest wire (ground) goes under one of those case grounded NUTS.

I can see that your Alternator is mounted on the Left side, so we are dealing with a OHV "6" Cyl. here, same Alt. and Reg. as the more common V-8.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Taken from the text on Bob Johnstone's site:

"Ground wire to altenator chassis (there are a few bolts on back)"

"Power lead to power terminal"

"Field slip on connector to "F" terminal"

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Do you know what the amperage is on the Honda alternator?

Bob Johnstone
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Specs on the NAPA site say 35 amps.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I wired it as per Tom's and stude rich's reccommendation and it smoked the wiring .....GRRRRRR...now I got a regulator to replace and wiring too....*&*%^%$#$%@$#@*&^^%$^%$#$%

Any thoughts here from somebody who actually did this conversion?

Kent

Comment

Rather than using another Honda, why not go with one of the Delco-Remys that are commonly used? I used a NAPA pro series 66287 in my wagon with no troubles. Everything is clearly labeled on the back of the Alternator. So, even for dummies like me, it's easy to wire up.

Where I get into trouble, is when I try to use an alternator on a system that had a generator or, in the case of Mr. Ed, put in a large alternator when there was a much smaller unit originally.

I have a front wiring harness for a '64 V8 that's practically new. Would you like to have it?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Lotsa Larks!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

WOW, that's not good, sounds like you grounded the large Hot wire instead of the small (usually red) 16 Ga. ground wire. Sorry! Maybe I should have reminded you to test each wire for continuity, power or ground first.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what happened....I hooked up the wiring just like Tom's picture - I'll give an update tomorrow.

Besides that Honda alternator what is a bolt on fit to replace the 63-64 prestolite without fabricating a bracket?

Kent

P.S. Sorry if I sounded gruff after my wiring harness got smoked. I don't have any hard feelings at anyone. Probally my own poor wiring. Wiring is my "achilles heal" so to speak.

Comment

I think it would be good to know if everything is OK at the Regulator. Is it a small black square box with the forward terminal for a lugged wire (may be marked "FLD" and the aft. one a slide-on flat spade term. (may be marked "IGN")?

If that is OK then move on to the wires, the color code (color tracer stripe) & diameter is different on each and should match the Alt. The small 16GA. (may be red) wire goes under the mounting base screw to ground and must match same on Alt.

If you email me with address, I will send you a new Electronic Voltage Regular N/C.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I used this setup on my Hawk for years, that text was based on how
                      I wired it. I can not explain why it didnt work. I will be quite
                      interested in what you find out though. Sorry about your wiring.[:0]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Top picture is Autolite? or Nippondenso on my car, bottom is an original Prestolite.

Some discussion on this on another thread. This is a rebuilt, Marked Autolite ALC-5001, but it may be a remanufactured Nippondenso rebuilt by Autolite. Application is 74 Toyota Corona or Corolla. 45 Amps. Alterations necessary were retap for SAE bolt on hold down, or use a metric as is, and open up the big hole to accommodate the larger SAE bolt on the bottom. Wiring is Identical and have used it both with std. regulator and a Dave T electronic. 10 years plus and no regrets.

ErnieR

Comment

My apologies if the information on my website was in error, but I no longer have the email address of the source. I put a notice on the file about your experience.

When I read your post yesterday, I contacted a known authority on Honda and Acura stuff. I used this guy for many years while I owned my Acura. It so happens though, that when I asked him about the 70's Honda alternator, his reply indicated that he isn't OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW ABOUT THEM. (hmmmm) I thought he could have read the schematic from memory, but 'no cigar'

Bob Johnstone
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob, as I mentioned on the previous two threads that the Honda alt was
                            brought up in, I am "Tom". I posted that info on the Alt.Studebaker
                            newsgroup some years ago. I found the alt after going through many
                            books at the local parts house. We even bought one for my brothers
                            '64 Daytona a few years later, he picked it up in Detroit, Michigan.
                            The wiring was done the same as mine, and there wasnt an issue.

This is why I said I dont have an answer why it didnt work, though as
                            it was mentioned that alt in his picture looks different than mine.

The GM alt in an R1 Avanti was also my post. I think you have a few
                            other posts on your site I made. I still have the same EMail address:

SBCA96@aol.com

"The Honda one I mentioned is a direct bolt on with no needed modifications to
                            car or altenator. The wiring is easy also.

Ground wire to altenator chassis (there are a few bolts on back)

Power lead to power terminal

Field slip on connector to "F" terminal

There are two other terminals not used on a Studebaker. The Honda altenator
                            used a dual amp VR. So it had a high side and a low side. We are only
                            interested in the high side or 35 amp. Which is the "F" terminal.

Carquest part number RE 14184

OEM# 021000-5410 31100-657-024

76-79 Honda CVCC or Civic

35 amp"

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Well, I took the 78 Honda Alternator off the Lark and took it down to a local rebuilding shop...turns out the quote "remanufactured" alternator I got from autozone had a couple insulatings washers left out, so hence it could never work and why it burned out my wiring. After putting the the insulators it works nice. I cobbled up my wiring harness for the time being. My regulator is fried but we will cross that step when I get there.

So, the wiring instructions were correct, but this was a faulty rebuilt I got.

Kent

Comment

Working...
                              X