This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does everyone hate the fins?

Am I the only one who loves the finned hawks? Here's another one with them "clipped":

It's a travesty in my opinion.[]

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Am I the only one who loves the finned hawks? Todd
    63 Lark 2dr Sedan
    I think it comes down to what you are used to.
    I suspect that if you first grew to like the unfinned 53-55 models you saw the fins as a unless piece of 50's overkill.

I first learned about Studebakers from my Corgi toy of a 57 Golden Hawk and have always accepted the fins as part of the design.
    I like the look of the unfinned cars, but somethimes they look naked, nice and Euro-ish, but naked nonetheless.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I love the fins! My first Studebaker was a 1957 Silver Hawk. I have a GT now and everyone who knows me agrees that the fins are more "me". I agree, too, but I still like my GT. Some day another Silver Hawk will come my way...
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think that the fins are ridiculous, impractical, outrageous, unnecessary, and dangerous!

Any or all of the above reasons could be why I love them so!

But then, I like the unfinned cars also, so....

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

I LOVE fins![] That's why I love the 58 sedans!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I always get a little ticked when I read older non-US publications knocking the fins on the Studebaker hawks. This from the same guys that touted the most awkward designed cars on the planet as the thing to emulate (I'm talking about 1950s, British and European cars, - especially French). I think some of those non-finned cars from over there are kind of cute, but to accept those wierd things and call the fins used on hawks ugly is so outrageous it's funny.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I like,and have owned both.But when the C/K's became Hawks in 56,I think the fins were a great part of the package,as much as the big grille and beautifull dash.A finned Hawk witout its fins looks naked to me,and not in a good way,like seeing Reece Witherspoon naked(just got around to watching"I walk the line")

Comment

Everything is relative. Studebakers with or without fins are beautiful. Some fins are garish to the extreme:

I've heard the size of your fins is inversely proportional to....
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I like the fact that the fins are removable--and presumably re-attachable!! (Sometimes you feel like a fin, sometimes a Swede...)[]

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                  Butler PA

Comment

Studebaker stylists "outfinned" them all with the possible exception of some Chrysler designs and the 1959 Cadillac with its "fin-atop-a-fin" approach to the design of the 1958 Packard Sedans and Wagons. I think the Hawks look great with fins. The 1958 Studebaker Sedans though...not so much. I think their short decks made the otherwise well design fins look too stubby. Just my opinion!

Studedude1961
                    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I saw my first "live" finned Hawk a couple of weeks ago when a local fellow Stude fanatic brought his 58 Silver Hawk over to my place when he got it out of storage. It is in excellent condition and that's when I knew my next Stude will be a finned Hawk!

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I happen to like the 56 Hawk fins the best, though I don't really have a problem with the later ones. They were a danger-to-society--how many pedestrians were impaled on them? Only kidding. Just glad they didn't get any bigger before the tailfin fad blew over! The '58 Packebaker has those bolt-on steel fins, and I s'pose I could leave em off and it would be cleaner looking, like a '57, but I won't. BTW, A neighbor used to have a slick black '58 Eldorado that a prvious owner had "shaved" the tailins off of, and finished it that way. [:0]

Comment

Since they are part of a Hawk, why not think of them as "folded-up wings"? Birds don't have fins, not even penquins!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon
                          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

IMHO, the '56 Hawk fins might be the "cleanest."

However, I like the last finned Hawks better than earlier models.

It may just be the trim below the fins, I'm not sure. But to me, the '61 Hawks look the best. I had a '58 GH for a while, and the fins always looked a bit "clumsy" to me.

If I were to purchase a finned Hawk, it would be one of the later ones, even though an earlier one might have more, "collectible" value.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. [8D]

sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

I feel strongly BOTH ways. (lol).
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X