This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator problems- need part

I took the radiator out of my '59 Lark VI because it was leaking and took it to a reputable repair shop here in Chicago. The shop said it needed to a re-core (not a big deal) but also needed a part called a bucket header. He said he could have one shipped from Cleveland but the whole repair would cost $375.

Does anyone know where I could find another "bucket header" elsewhere at a better price or perhaps a different radiator?

Thanks.

Paul Leske
    '59 Lark VI

Sounds like one of your upper or lower tanks has corroded through. If it is not that, it sounds like another case of muffler bearings that could be adapted for a water wheel.

Comment

You might give SASCO a call (http://www.studeparts.com). Dennis Lambert still has many NOS radiators in stock for less cost than a recore job.

Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, MA
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I did that already. They had neither the radiator part nor the full assembly.

quote:Originally posted by garyash

You might give SASCO a call (http://www.studeparts.com). Dennis Lambert still has many NOS radiators in stock for less cost than a recore job.

Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, MA
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
        Paul Leske
        '59 Lark VI

Comment

I have had two radiators recored, that price is the going price to my experience. Any one else have a price?

Comment

Now you're talking about shipping charges. The secret is finding the shop in your area that will do quality work without desiring to make an outrageous profit, as we all do.

If you are in central Pa I would recommend Union Radiator on Lycoming Creek Road in Williamsport, Pa.

There are shops that know they are the only game in town and you pay for the tune they whistle. If you can find a local recommendation, you can save more than the cost of fuel or shipping and get quality work.

In the Chicago area I would think there would be a sufficient number of shops that competition should dictate quality work at competitive prices. If the shop you've gone to has a good local reputation, I don't think the price quoted is all that out of reason.

I'm sure it would be less in central Pa if the shipping charges would be a wash. By the same token, overheating an engine on I-80 costs a lot more than what you've been quoted.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well I have a neighbor going to a the swap meet in South Bend this weekend. He is going to keep his eye out for a good used one there and if he is not successful then I will have to cough up the dough.

I usually dont have this issue....all my other old cars are VWs.

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Now you're talking about shipping charges. The secret is finding the shop in your area that will do quality work without desiring to make an outrageous profit, as we all do.

If you are in central Pa I would recommend Union Radiator on Lycoming Creek Road in Williamsport, Pa.

There are shops that know they are the only game in town and you pay for the tune they whistle. If you can find a local recommendation, you can save more than the cost of fuel or shipping and get quality work.

In the Chicago area I would think there would be a sufficient number of shops that competition should dictate quality work at competitive prices. If the shop you've gone to has a good local reputation, I don't think the price quoted is all that out of reason.

I'm sure it would be less in central Pa if the shipping charges would be a wash. By the same token, overheating an engine on I-80 costs a lot more than what you've been quoted.
              Paul Leske
              '59 Lark VI

Comment

I'm having trouble with that terminology - "bucket header". If you need (what I'd call) a "header tank", I've got one here that you could have for shipping charges.

I had two Lark rads redone lately. The shop explained that they couldn't get the old style core any more. They were worried that I would bitch if I got the radiator back and it didn't look "original". I told them that so long as it was serviceable, I didn't care what it looked like. With that they record both of them and the result is a radiator with a smaller lower section to the upper tank. I've seen NO problems with this revised rad. By the way, they cost me $240 apiece to be redone!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X