X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 President 4dr !Help!

Hello all:

I'm new to the Stude Family, Just bought as 57 President 4dr. I own four other antique cars but this is my first Stude. Here's the story. I found a 57 President 4dr just parked next to the hwy in the town i live in Texas, started asking around and found the owner, asked if it was for sale and got the old " i don't know, the car used to be my father in law's and i don't know if my wife wants to part with it" answer. Long story short, 4 months later i bought the car. He started asking $1,800 but my haggling skills got him down to $600 and on the trailer it went. Heres what i got. The car looks 100% original, 289 V8, Automatic, Power Steering, solid body, light surface rust on the hood, all chrome is intact, all badges and ornaments are there and fine, small dent on the rear right tail light area, dull paint, some crappy body work where the rear right door meets the wheel opening, some bondo chipping off(about a 12x12 area), rest of the car is straight as an arrow. Brakes don't work, car had been sitting in a barn from 1980 to 2005, last registered in 1980. Interior needs redone, it's all there but the headliner is staring to sag, seats could use recovering. Surface rust on the floorboards, not thru. Dash and gauges look awesome, really clean. All four hubcaps and rims there and OK. No keys. Now the questions. I know my description is not as good as pictures, but...

1. Did i pay a fair price? Too much? A steal? How much is it worth more/less?
    2. How is the parts availability to just get the basic tune up stuff to get it running? Is it expensive? I'm used to 50's Chevys, i guess in comparison it will be.
    3. I know it would be a crime to the purist Stude Fans, but will switching to a Chevy 350 And Turbo 350 tranny and rewiring kill the value of the car.
    4. Is this a rare car? Collectable? Sought after?
    5. How to tell if it's a President Classic or not?
    6. Can i get keys made?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, any and all info will help, suggestions and opinions welcome. I would really love to fix and keep this car in it's stock condition so i can drive it,(no trailer queens in my garage, i fix'em to drive them). If it's too much of an undertaking($$$), then and only then i would consider selling it, but only to a true Stude fan that will fix it right.

Thanks...

Manny

57 President 4dr

$600 for anything "almost driveable" is a good deal IMHO. Tuneup stuff is easy to find, although you will need to patronize a GOOD FLAPS (like NAPA, CarQuest, or a good independent) - one that has books that go back that far.

Personally I would see how the 289 runs before planning a swap; a 289 is not a bad little engine and it's very torquey.

For keys, easiest thing to do would be to take the passenger door lock (likely less worn than any of the others) and glovebox lock to a good locksmith, alternately get your build sheet from the SNM and have some keys cut to code.

a 4-door Stude isn't really collectible, but the sedans make great drivers so don't worry about it and enjoy driving it.

What's the numbers on the body tag (under the hood, on the pass. side of the firewall?

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Other than from information on the body tag, the easiest ways to tell a '57 President Classic from a '57 President (I have owned both.); Classic has the longer wheelbase (120.5 inches vs. 116.5 inches), Classic has vent windows in the rear doors that swing open, Classic has much nicer interior (but you have nothing to compare to).

It sounds like a $1K car now, but will be quite a bit more when you get it sorted out and on the road. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club (this site) and you will find that there are many vendors of NOS, used and repro parts. It will take a little while for you to get your first publication, Turning Wheels. To get started, the major vendors include; Studebaker International, SASCO, Stephen Allen, Chuck Collins.

I would suggest that you get the car to the point of being usable before deciding on any swaps.

Gary L.
      1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
      1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hello:

Thanks for the quick replies, I will find those numbers and measure the wheelbase and post them.

Thanks again...

Manny

57 President 4dr

Comment

Got those numbers:

57H-Y6 1335 (Tag on the engine compartment)

7I9I989 Serial Number

61587.9 miles on the odometer (Might have rolled over, Who knows)

It has the vent windows that open on the back doors, so i take it that it's a Classic.

Thanks again for all the help.

Manny

57 President 4dr

Comment

Hi
            Sounds like a good price for a decent car to me, especially if it isn't rusty. I had a '57 President Classic 15 years ago that I foolishly sold. They are nice driving cars, unique in that they are rarely seen. Mechanically they share much with all v-8 Studebakers through '64 including the popular Hawk, most everything is available.
            I'd recommend getting it operational and driveable, seeing what you have before any decision on swap. On the collectibility, the sedans are not in much demand (why I like them). Replacing the powertrain would do nothing to improve that either, they just don't attract much collector interest. If the car runs good and is dependable, just drive it daily, enjoy it for what it is, then pass it onto some guy like me that appreciates the offbeat old car the few want. Don't drop alot of money into the car into the process, plan upon your "return on investment" happening when you drive it down the road.
            Good luck with it, post a picture or two when you have a chance.
            Regards
            Steve

Comment

sigpic
              Ross.
              Riverside, Ca.
              1957 Provincial X2
              1958 Transtar

Comment

Yes, it's a "Classic". The Y6 part of that body# confirms that. My opinion is that you stole this car. The qualifying factor is that I (along with a few others) like these sedans above the coupe and hardtop offerings (Hawks). A majority of Stude afficianados would rather go for the Hawks of the era. Even these Hawk-lovers tho - will concede that the sedans are more comfortable, better riding vehicles. [:I]

From '51-on, Stude cars had two basic engine familys: there was the 170cu.in. 6 and the venerable V8 line that saw several displacement variations thru to the end of said V8 in 1964. Both were good engines but the V8's really the star. While it never saw more than 304 cu.in. disp. in factory form, it's got an incredibly stout block and came with a forged crank, standard[:0]
                The Stude V8 is STILL setting records on the tracks and strips. There's no doubt that it's ultimate potential has yet to have been realized.[}] It's lower end really needs NO modifications to take on whatever enhancements you might do. And those enhancements that are to be done are about 95% in the valving and feeding of the engine.
                Likewise, the Flight-o-matic that that 289's coupled to is a REALLY tough unit. Again, proven on the 1/4 mile tracks thru the years. BTW, in regular driving, this tranny starts out in second gear. It really IS a 3-spd, it's just that for various reasons, Stude had it valved to start out in second. If you wanna experience 1st, start out in the "L" range and then move the lever to drive when you want it to go to second. Alternatively, you can just tromp the gas pedal to the floor when starting from a dead stop (in "D" range) - the tranny should drop into first and upshift to second once it sees fit.
                As has been mentioned here, parts are READILY available for this V8. A majority of us would think it's way more cool to keep it in place than to toss it in favor of the "everybody's got one" 350 motor.

Surely, Hawks and other Stude cars outnumber sedans nowdays. This is just a fact of life that's come about because the sedans weren't saved as ardently as they were. But for me, this makes the sedans all the more interesting. At most car shows (Stude shows included), the sedans are visible in lesser numbers.

The suspension's pretty darned good - even by today's standards. It's beefy and parts (Should they be necessary) are readily available as are parts for the brakes.
                Your President should be wearing finned drums all around. They're GOOD brakes! IF you deem they're not to your liking, there's kits available to retrofit later disc brakes (non-Stude parts) front and rear if you want!
                The type 44 Dana rear axle will take anything that V8 can dish out and more. You may find out that it's a TT (Twin Traction - akin to positraction) axle as they were an option starting in '57.

Bring that V8 back to life and give it a chance to impress you before you summarily toss it for BrandX power. BTW, in '57 Studebaker offered a blower setup optional. And such units aren't that hard to find.[] Talk about something that'll impress when you pop that hood (or accept a challenge from some Bel Air or Impala![}])

There were a total of 6,063 57H-Y6 cars built. Really a small number by Detroit standards. Yet it was the most numerous of the President lineup. The President "standard" being the runner up at 3,127 built. With a total of 11,747 Preident series in all, being built this year. This included 4-doors, 2-doors and some wagons. The price of your "Classic" was $2,539 1957 dollars!

There were 18,448 '57 Commanders built (the major defining difference from the Presidents being 30 less cubic inches and a bit less brightwork) for '57, and another 24,861 Champion cars constructed (fitted with the 170cu.in. 6 and even more sparse brightwork and trim)

The August 1993 issue of Turning Wheels has what's probably the most comprehensive coverage of Stude's '57 sedan lineup. You might watch ebay for that edition to come up.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Pr
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

All:

Thanks for your responses, i'll keep the 289, i'll try to make it run and go from there. I would really like to keep this one bone stock, or at least as close as possible. I'll leave the engine swap as a last resort. I'll try my best to resurect the 289 first. Reading here i've gained a lot of respect for Studes and their owners. Sitting in the drivers seat of this car reminds me of the feeling i felt learning to drive in my dad's Lincoln Town Car when i was a kid. It's a weird "I'm driving a luxury car" feeling. I'm hooked on the Stude. I'll keep hacking, chopping, shaving and channeling the Chevys, not the Stude. We'll see what happens, i'll keep y'all posted. Keep your comments and opinions coming, i really enjoy and learn a lot from them.

Thanks again to all...

Manny

57 President Classic

Comment

Welcome to the group of crazy crazy people who like/have/enjoy their Studebaker sedan! There's not much else to say that hasn't already been said other then this~ I too know the "I'm driving in a luxury car" feeling- I bought a '58 Packard not too long ago... GREAT FEELING, ISN'T IT?
                    Here's a post about mine~

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=3411

Once again, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! See ya 'round!

[8D]

StudeDave
                    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                    '57 Commander 2dr
                    '57 Champion 2dr
                    '58 Packard sedan
                    '65 Cruiser
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

True enough I love the lines of the coupes and hardtops but, I don't think anyone would argue about the fact that those late fifties sedans were some of the best built and best driving Studebakers one can find. And the V-8s started setting records when they were introduced in 1951. All Studebaker engines started setting records from the day they were introduced because that's what Studebaker did.

I add my support to those who recommend you fix what you got and see what you have before deciding that you would prefer the alteration altercation.

You will find the ease of procuring parts will surprise you, especially if you receive the monthly Turning Wheels.

Welcome to our world...a breed apart...and for good reason.[^]
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I will tell you this MPagan...and this has happened to me and most Studebaker drivers many many many times...your 1957 President Classic "uncollectible" sedan will make heads turn at intersections and at gas stations faster than almost ANY car on the road. For $600 you bought yourself the status and recognition many who buy brand new Mercedes-Benz and BMWs crave for 10,000% more and you've probably got yourself a more comfortable car to boot. Congratulations!

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

And beyond what 61 says, you'll turn more heads with this President than you would with an equal condition 57 Chevy. Not "dissing" the Chevys mind you, but the Stude WILL draw more looks because it's truly different and not just old! Much like me, for that matter.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Wow, only a hair over 6,000 of them ever built, i'm impressed. I'm really excited about getting to work on this car, i'm just waiting on getting the title issue cleared. The owner had lost the title, so i bought it with just a bill of sale, now i have to go through a bunch of paperwork, get appraisals, an interview and so on to get a title hearing. Hopefully it'll be alright and i'll have my title in hand soon, then i'll start spending money on it. I don't want to spend my hard earned greenbacks on a car that can't even be registered and insured. It should be OK, My local DMV people are very helpfull and i already went through this with a 51 Chevy P/U i bought about 5 yrs ago.(and still own) All your replies have been great, I'm learning a lot. Thank you all so much. Keep'em coming.

Manny

57 President Classic

Comment

Hi
                              Glad to hear that you decided to keep the President original, enjoy it for what it is. That is a good common sense approach, something that frequently seems rare when it comes to old cars. Welcome to the wonderful world of folks who like their collector cars different, interesting and rare.
                              Any problem you get stuck on, post it here or on the technical help page, and the perfect solutions will pour forth, as
                              Studebaker owners are drivers and freely share their knowledge, just about the greatest quality of this group!
                              Please post some pictures of that President if you can, we'll all enjoy seeing them!
                              Regards
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X