This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Commander Thinking of Selling

I have a 1955 commander that I am thinking about trying to sell. I have owned the car for 18 years. I have no way of nowing how or where to try and sell this car. I was just looking for some general advice. I don't want to be ripped off or have my expectations to high.

thanks

Depends on condition and body style. It can be from a few hundred for a tired four door to 15K or better for a nice coupe or hardtop.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 Avanti
    54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

body style & condition

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chall

I have a 1955 commander that I am thinking about trying to sell. I have owned the car for 18 years. I have no way of nowing how or where to try and sell this car. I was just looking for some general advice. I don't want to be ripped off or have my expectations to high.

thanks
        48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by chall

thanks

[I,v been looking at 55's maybe we could get together/]
          48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

And I know of one which may be getting parted out soon~
            In case you happen to be needing anything...

[8D]

StudeDave
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
            '57 Commander 2dr
            '57 Champion 2dr
            '58 Packard sedan
            '65 Cruiser
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

What would you like to know?

[I,v been looking at 55's maybe we could get together/]
              [/quote]

Comment

Pictures would save a thousand words!

Comment

We still don't know what body style the car is. A Commander could be a four door sedan, a Starliner or other model. In equivalent condition, there is a big difference in price/value between the different body style Commanders. Also, the condition of the car has a major effect on the value of the car. If you post the information from the body tag on the engine side of the firewall and give a general description of condition - rust, chrome, interior, etc. it would help a lot. In general, eBay is your best bet on establishing and receiving a fair market value for your car.

Gary L.
                  1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                  1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry I could have spelled out more information. I will try and get some pictures and the tag information. The car is garaged at mothers house.
                    It is a two door coup. Two-tone paint. Rust is very minor and is just surface rust in a couple places. Majority of crome is okay. Back bumper crome is pitted. Interior is okay no tears or anything in fabric. Back seat side panels need new covering. Rubber around windows is detoriated from drying out. Has new brakes. Needs new tires. Runs good but hasn't been driven in a while. Needs new master cylinder put in.
                    These are the things that I can remember. I will try and get pictures to post but that may take a little longer.

Thanks for all your help and posts.

Comment

There's still a bit of confusion about the body style. Alot of folks would call a 2-door sedan a "coupe". Technically, it might well qualify. But amongst Studebakers (for 55 at least) a coupe would be a 2-door car with rear quarter (side) windows that don't roll down but rather "pop out" a couple inches for ventilation.
                      The sister car to the coupe is the hardtop. In the case of the hardtop - the rear quarter windows DO roll down, leaving (with the door windows down as well) a totally open area from the windshield post to the "C-pillar". Some uninformed sorts would ALSO call this a coupe.
                      Really, the BEST way to pin down the definition of your Stude is to read us the digits on the body tag. This is an embossed metal tag that's held onto the upper firewall between the windshield wiper motor and the righthand hood hinge. It should start out reading "16G8-.........." The digits just after the 16G8 will reveal exactly what model we're talking about.

If indeed it IS a "coupe" It should read 16G8-C3 (or C5). It's the "C" that defines body type. The numeral after indicates the trim level - ie: amount of "chrome" it wears.
                      If it's a hardtop, it would have a K in place of the C. A 2-door sedan would sport an F in place of the C.

Either way, a C or a K model will command more bucks than a F-model any day.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This is the type of windows that are in the back seat. I bought new ones that have never been installed because the rubber on the current ones are shot and leak.

But amongst Studebakers (for 55 at least) a coupe would be a 2-door car with rear quarter (side) windows that don't roll down but rather "pop out" a couple inches for ventilation.

Comment

The tag on the car reads 16G8-C3 and underneath that is 1979.
                          I am still working on pictures.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chall

The tag on the car reads 16G8-C3 and underneath that is 1979.
                            I am still working on pictures.
                            That is a 1955 Champion (six cylinder) DeLuxe (low trim level) coupe (C body).

Gary L.
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

it is an 8-cylder engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X