X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poop Hawk 289

Hi guys....
    Can you give me something intelligent to say to a Ford freak who insists that the 1963 289 in the Poop Hawk is a Ford Y Block that should have a Generator and not an alternator?

Thanks,
    Mac

Proud Owner of:
    The one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK
    And the 1966 Messtang!

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

Hi guys....
    Can you give me something intelligent to say to a Ford freak who insists that the 1963 289 in the Poop Hawk is a Ford Y Block that should have a Generator and not an alternator?

Thanks,
    Mac

Proud Owner of:
    The one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK
    And the 1966 Messtang!
    Suggest politely that the Ford Y-block is simply a cheap copy of the Studebaker V8, and that they used a crankshaft made of sintered beer can pull tabs, and the torque of driving an alternator would simply shear off the front pulley

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Just smile and nod your head and say "GeeWhiz,I didnt know the Studebakers were related to the Fords." Its amazing what you can learn from the uneducated guy that knows that F O R D produced the only engine that ever powered an automobile.

Comment

I have an idea. Just tell him that you researched it, and as it turns out, an engineer named Bob from FORD was on his way home from work, when he was kidnapped by a band of gypsies from Studebaker Corp. They forced him to design a motor for their car that ran as good as a Ford (ya, right), and so he did. But, because he knew that they would never let him go after he was done, he decided to put the alternator on the motor as a clue, because he knew someone from Ford would eventually see the Studebaker and realize that this was the same motor. Now, the alternator would puzzle him for a minute, until he remembered that "Bob suggested putting an alternator on the 289, but we said no... OH MY GOD!!! They have BOB!!" Then, a team was banded together, and they went to the Studebaker plant and rescued Bob. The rest is history.

If he doesn't buy that story, find another friend.

The Bluesman
        1962 Hawk
        1963 Hawk R1 4 speed

Comment

I was having this same argument at a car show with a guy who "knew" that Studebaker used Fords 289(except for those years they used Chev engines).After he looked over the engine in my car,I suggested we go have a look at a Ford 289,there was a Rustang not far away and the owner gladly poped the hood for us.One glance and the arguments over.Then they want to know why Studebaker built a "big block" with such a small displacement.

Comment

I used to live in Ford Country. Two things I learned there are: Boring a 289 Ford out .030 over will cause it to overheat from now on, and a 292 or 312 that acts like the pistons are migrating from one cylinder to another when it runs is completely "normal". But, whatever suits them. The Pontiac, and Chevy Small block valve cover gasket are nearly the same size and shape as Studebaker(but you already knew this).

Comment

Tell him that the 1949 Ford was designed by Studebaker designers in their off time and see if he believes you!
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Pander to him,Mac. Make him feel useful. Ask him if he'd buy you a water pump (so as to make sure you get the right one by virtue of his expertise) and then get him to help you install it! [}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Scott - but it was!! (you know that?.)

You can tell him that Ford copied the 289 size because all hotrodders of te late 50's used Stude supersharged 289s to set all the drag strip records. In the same way, Skylarks were named after Studebaker Larks, becuse Studebaker had established such a record of dependability. Even the Jeep Wagoneer was named after the Studebaker Wagonaire.

It seems that evry company wanted to be a Studebaker wannabe.

Paul r

Comment

Yes 55s, I knew that. That's why I brought it up!
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yeah; and the Toyota Land Cruiser and the International Transtar... I think they call that "Riding the coatails."
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

get a piece of paper and draw a Y then draw a V if he ain't chinese japanese or arabicMAYBE he will understand.

Comment

Don't forget the Jeep Commander!

Don Wilson
                          53 Commander Hardtop
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton
                          WA state
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

And the Daytona, the Challenger or the (PT) CRUISER!!! Sorry, that last one just just slipped out...

Who was it that made those cars with the supercharged Packards again?

[8D]

StudeDave
                            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                            '57 Commander 2dr
                            '57 Champion 2dr
                            '58 Packard sedan
                            '65 Cruiser
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hey Mac! I was just wondering what the status of the "poop Hawk" was. Did Larry Brown ever show? Did you ever find out what was in the trunk (inquiring minds want to know)?[][}][8]

Comment

Working...
                              X