This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Convert

This is an article from a local cruise newsletter. It is 3-4 years old I think. Haven't heard of any updates but I did hear a year or so ago that the project was on hold waiting for more money.

BTW, I have the original artwork from De Fazio of the front view. Given to me by a customer I am building 60 Jag for.

If someone doesn't finish this, it would be a shame.

Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.

Did you call him?
    The phone number is listed on the picture.
    Interesting idea's, but I'll bet a donut the widening of the car didn't happen. Everything would need widening..
    The whole car narrows from the front bumper back.
    I can't imagine the amount of time it wpuld take to widen the trunk lid and retain the curves...But you never know...
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BeeJay

This is an article from a local cruise newsletter. It is 3-4 years old I think. Haven't heard of any updates but I did hear a year or so ago that the project was on hold waiting for more money.
    BTW, I have the original artwork from De Fazio of the front view. Given to me by a customer I am building 60 Jag for.
    If someone doesn't finish this, it would be a shame.

Bob
    Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Maybe it'd be cheaper to make one from scratch using the original design as a basis. I would bet there are still small shops in Italy that create one-offs. Brooks Stevens did it at least a couple times and the cars looked great.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It seems like it would be a lot easier to come up with a new four link rear suspension than to try to widen the body out to accomodate the "stock Corvette rear suspension." I also wonder how much they know about Studebakers when they say that they got the convertible top "from a 1959 Studebaker Lark", since Studebaker did not make a convertible for the 1959 model year.

Other than the factory prototype, there have been several '53-'54 convertibles made, but they all kept the stock dimensions of the body, except for shortening the car to a two seater in some cases. This car looks good on paper, but I doubt that it will be built as described.

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yet another pipe dream. [:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Been toying with the idea of GT tail lamps on my '54 especially considering how hard it is to find good '53/'54 castings. Nice to see a rendering of what they would look like!

Comment

You'll have a issue with the rear fender stainless since the GT lamps fit into the GT trim. (taller)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Black
              63 R2 4 speed GT White
              63 Avanti
              54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, and in addition to the way the trim fits I believe the rear fender corner itself is different. Not sure yet if I want to modify the fenders or the GT taillamp housings -probably do the fender mods and use the GT trim and housing. Got a ways to go before I get there. This Avanti I picked up has been very disracting! Amazing how different they look in person. All the pics I've seen fail to capture the unique lines of these cars.

Comment

I have seen 2 convertibles, one normal 53 and one turned into a roadster 2 seater (Shortened)

the convertible looked great with the top up, with it down, it
                  looked kinda goofy. The Roadster one was just ugly from the side
                  and back.

Comment

Working...
                  X