PDA

View Full Version : Deer whistles (kinda Ot)

Transtar56
04-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Had my first really good Harley drive yesterday,and last night I had my first real scare of the season. I was just about home after dark,and in the exact same place we have all seen deer cross before,one jumped in front of me,I locked both wheels,the bald tire on the rear didn't help as I got nearly sideways,stalled the engine,got off the rear brake and straightened her up as I went by that little bastards ass with about 10 inches to spare.I came home and got off the bike just shaking.
I got to thinking,as we have had such a mild and snowless winter here in Nova Scotia that the country is over run with deer,you see them every single day,in herds,in fields and ditches,this is going to be a real bad summer for deer collisions,and hopefully next fall everyone will have one in thier freezer. But as we all drive "special" vheicals,our Studebakers,and bikes,do those deer whistle things really do any good?
Im about to try some on the Hawk,the bike,and my Kia SUV for at the price thier worth a try,but Im just wondering if anyones had any experience with them.Trouble is,finding some out of site place to mount the damn things,but if they can save me from having one of those cloven hoofed idiots from mangling my new chrome on my Hawk,or possibly saving my life on the sled,it would be worth it.
I know lots of you guys live where deer are a real menace every year,so I thought Id ask.

65cruiser
04-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I've got em on the front of my motorhome and never hit a deer.:D Does that mean anything;)?

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/Logo1.jpg

Scott
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
No. From what I've read and heard from wildlife experts they are a complete waste of money. Hanging garlic around your neck probably works just as well.

klifton1
04-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm from Mn. where there are lots of deer and had them on bikes and cars. Can't tell the difference. I agree with Scott. Save your dollars
Klif

Scott
04-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey, Klifton1, I'm in central MN.

studegary
04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Since they only cost a dollar, put them on if you want to, but I don't think that they work and don't use them myself. There was a study done by the Texas Highway Patrol. They took a large sample of cars (hundreds) and mounted deer whistles on half the cars. The number of deer collisions with each group of cars was statistically the same.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Transtar56
04-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Well,I guess I won't bother getting them,because they might condition me to "think" I had some protection from these critters when I really don't.
I guess all we can do is keep both eyes wide open and pray.

Scott
04-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, maybe being in the Studebaker SUV would help! By the way, is there ANY life at Avanti Motors? Trying to learn what's going on there is about as easy as trying to see what's going on on the far side of the moon.

studegary
04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I have had a few close calls, like when a deer jumped over my car from a bluff on one side of the road on a mountain road in East Fishkill. I did have a large deer run into the side of a stretch limousine that I was driving at speed, in traffic, down the Taconic State Parkway in Dutchess County. It made a very loud noise. I expected to see a lot of damage, but everything just washed off.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

stude freak
04-24-2006, 05:40 PM
My sis-in-law had a deer encounter in her new taurus with deer whistle on it .Just caught the hind quarter n broke the headlight out.The airbag deployed causing her to have bruised lungs ,a broken nose and 2 black eyes.The deer disappeared.

DEEPNHOCK
04-25-2006, 06:27 AM
I don't think so!
Ramming into a big ol' buck in a fiberglass tank would make a huge mess....;)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Well, maybe being in the Studebaker SUV would help! By the way, is there ANY life at Avanti Motors? Trying to learn what's going on there is about as easy as trying to see what's going on on the far side of the moon.

52hawk
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
My mother hit a deer a few months ago.The only damage was a slight wrinkle on the hood,a scrape on the bumper,and a busted deer whistle.
Over the years in the body shop business,I have counted just about 50-50,[deer hits with and without deer whistles]. I believe the garlic around your neck may be good advice!!

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark