PDA

View Full Version : Up coming International Meets

buckeye
04-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Was to the Western Lake Erie Chapter meeting today and was informed by our Crossroads Zone Coordinator of up coming meets.
2008 Gettysburg
2009 Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2010 Phoenix area

Frank Starr
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Seems that the meet schedules got scrambled somewhere along the line. First there were two west coast meets in two years (2003 and 2005). Now there won't be another western meet until 2010 (not that Pheonix is particularly west coast)..

I remember commenting at the time the Spokane meet was scheduled so soon after Sacramento that things would get out of balance. As usual, I got told to shut up.

studegary
04-25-2006, 01:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Frank Starr

Seems that the meet schedules got scrambled somewhere along the line. First there were two west coast meets in two years (2003 and 2005). Now there won't be another western meet until 2010 (not that Pheonix is particularly west coast)..

I remember commenting at the time the Spokane meet was scheduled so soon after Sacramento that things would get out of balance. As usual, I got told to shut up.

Keep in mind that these SDC conventions are basically volunteer operations. There was a time a few years ago when it was almost impossible to get someone to step up and run the convention. This is when the SDC Board instituted the guaranteed profit for the group or chapter hosting the convention. Now there are people willing to run the convention, but not great competition like there was 20 years ago. Did you offer to be meet chairman and host an SDC International Convention? I know that the IM Committee is trying to spread the meets around, but it is not always possible to get the best mix. Also, keep in mind that California has, by far, the biggest membership in SDC, but a disproportionately small share attend SDC Internatioinal Conventions (as compared to the East, Mid-West and South). PS - I don't find a Frank Starr in my 2004 SDC Membership Roster. What state are you in and are you a recent member of SDC? I have been a member of SDC for 38 years and the only SDC International Convention that I remember there ever being in the Southwest (outside of California) before was in Las Vegas in 1989.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

2R5
04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Don't want to change the subject but when you say your not finding someones name in the roster does this mean that they are not SDC members or is there another explanation ? I have looked up a few names from one chapter I belong to and there are alot that aren't in the new roster???? Does this mean they aren't SDC members? I know everyone in local chapters are suppost to be SDC memebers and for the life of me wouldn't know why anyone wouldn't want to join SDC , even if it was just for TW's

studegary
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Don't want to change the subject but when you say your not finding someones name in the roster does this mean that they are not SDC members or is there another explanation ? I have looked up a few names from one chapter I belong to and there are alot that aren't in the new roster???? Does this mean they aren't SDC members? I know everyone in local chapters are suppost to be SDC memebers and for the life of me wouldn't know why anyone wouldn't want to join SDC , even if it was just for TW's

Yes, all chapter members are required to be members of SDC. All SDC members should be listed in the Roster. A member can elect to have their address, e-mail and/or telephone number deleted from the listing, but their name should be there. A person may not be listed in a particular Roster because they joined SDC at a later time or they let their membership lapse for a period of time right when the membership list was being used for the Roster.

Gary L.

2R5
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Looks like we have alot of lapsed members hmmmmmm

Scott
04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
There was mention in TW recently by Ed Reynolds, I think, reminding the chapters that members are required to be SDC national members, too. Why anyone would want to belong to a local chapter and not the national completely goes against logic (like: "Boy, I sure like being in the club, but I hate getting that Turning Wheels magazine every month. It just clutters up the house!")

Of course, as the average age of the club goes up, more members are probably going to experience those senior moments. I don't know.

studegary
04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

There was mention in TW recently by Ed Reynolds, I think, reminding the chapters that members are required to be SDC national members, too. Why anyone would want to belong to a local chapter and not the national completely goes against logic (like: "Boy, I sure like being in the club, but I hate getting that Turning Wheels magazine every month. It just clutters up the house!")

There is more to it than getting Turning Wheels. Their membership in SDC provides local chapters with insurance for activities, advertising, major activities, etc. One of the main reasons for the requirement of chapter members being SDC members is a requirement of the insurance carrier.

Gary L.

Scott
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, I imagine that if the chapters do not do a good job policing their membership their charter could be revoked. True?

studegary
04-28-2006, 03:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

Well, I imagine that if the chapters do not do a good job policing their membership their charter could be revoked. True?

True

Gary L.

Skip Lackie
04-28-2006, 04:28 PM
The folks who handle our membership records (Cornerstone Registration) provide quarterly listings of new and lapsed members in each zone to the local board member and zone coordinator. Most ZCs then pass these listings down to regional directors and chapters for follow-up. In fact, Peter Crisitello used to sort and reformat the data for us in the Atlantic Zone to make the data easier to use. So we have a mechanism in place to ensure that chapter members remain active members of SDC. That said, most chapter officers have enough club work to do already and it is not inconceivable that they don't all review these listings as agressively as we might wish.

Nevertheless, I certainly don't understand why anyone would want to belong to a chapter and not be able to find the $27.50 for the national dues. And as Gary said, our liability insurance does not cover any mishap at a meet that is caused by a non-member.

Skip Lackie

41 Frank
04-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Check your new roster,Mr. Starr is a member in good standing.