This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Studebaker Vibrations

Today was a warm Saturday afternoon here in central Indiana. Ted Harbit said he would be taking The Tomato to The Muncie Dragway for the afternoon/early evening program, so I decided to make the 85-mile trek northeast and see the old boy [sorry, Ted; trying to be accurate, here...[^]) in action for the first time this year.

'Got delayed [)] along the way but still got there in time to spend a couple hours and watch Teddy lose in his eliminations by breaking out. [}] "Lead-Foot Ted" dialed in a 13.10 ET for bracket racing, but in his second round kept his foot on the floor a little too long [Ted Harbit? ] and knocked down a 13.05, retiring him from the evening's competition.

Of greater interest is the continuing attention and consistent thumbs-up The Tomato draws as it sits in the pits with the hood raised between runs. The crowd was light as it is early in the season...but even so, every single group of guys that walk by -almost all of them under 40- look under the hood, smile, and make sincere remarks to Ted that "This car is cool..." "Man, I love this car," and general thumbs-up all the way around. [] Few can believe (but ultimately do) that the engine in the car was the one with which it left South Bend before they were born. [:0]

Nash and AMC don't have a corner on all the Ambassadors. We have a Studebaker Ambassador of our own, who has been piloting Studebakers down the Muncie Dragway quarter-mile for what is now, honestly, more than a half-century. [That is no exagerration: Ted first ran at Muncie in either 1955 or 1956.] [8D] BP

Incredible![] Reading your last parqagraph, Bob - without working to have this thought, I found myself wondering how many miles Ted has put on that stretch of track thru the years![:0][}][8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've wondered myself, Bob. [?] Just for grins:

First, figure Ted has averaged 12 days per season at Munice every year for the last 50 years, which is undoubtedly on the shy side of reality. So that is 600 days spent at The Muncie Dragway in his lifetime. [:I]

Then let's say he's made an average of ten runs every time he has been there. 600 days X 10 runs per day = 6000 runs. [] At a quarter mile each, that means he's driven at least 1,500 miles at full-throttle in a variety of Studebakers down just this ONE drag strip! And as I said, I'm positive those numbers are far short of "actual miles!"

You needed another definition for the word legend, didn't you? [^] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

You needed another definition for the word legend, didn't you?
        Ted is clearly MY definition [^]. Thanks for the post, Bob. Made my day.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
        X