PDA

View Full Version : Quite an interesting day.

MacMyers
04-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I had a Studebaker day today. I drove by PJ's to look at another Mustang and I also looked at the 2 high dollar Hawks they have including the "only one left" Golden Hawk that always shows up in the scam EBay auctions. We left and were Driving down the road when I stopped and talked to a guy with a 53 Commander resto-mod deal that he is working on. THEN I stopped because I saw a 4 door Lark VI sitting on a goofy little car lot. It's a 6 cyl 1961. New 2 tone light blue paint (some shortcuts like tailight housings painted silver instead of rechromed) engine compartment and engine cleaned and repainted (don't know if engine was rebuilt (guy there was an dumb @$$)... OK interior, clean, but rear seat top starting to split and a small crack in the dash pad on the passenger side next to the door. Gauges all clear and working.. Ran good, drove good, AC worked great, 3 speed with overdrive (worked). Floors and trunk solid...clean underneath...paint a bit above a Macco special. No crap in it... but some overspray in seams etc. Chrome in General a bit crusty and some pitting. Nice overall. Sign on it that said "certified preowned" (could have been a putty bucket but I forgot my Spot Rot and couldn't tell by looking underneath).

I was all fired up but then the dork told me he wanted $8800 firm.
No negotiations. So I left and was driving along when I noticed smoke coming out of a construction site at a 4 story Apt. building in Clearwater. I called 911 and watched as 6 fire trucks showed up. By then flames were pouring out of the roof and some guys seemed to be stuck up there. Some young Hispanic youths (who's pants seemed to be ill fitting and whose ballcaps were backwards for some reason) were on the corner next to where I was standing and were helping me point the fire trucks into the right parking area when another Hispanic man walked by from the site (wearing a hard hat <on frontward> and carrying a lunch box) and told them to mind their own business and to leave. Apparently they took umbrage to his suggestion and began to disagree with his direction in a somewhat vigorous manner. He was yelling in spanish that they were children who's parents might not have been married at the time of their birth and they were explaining that he was old (calling him Popi <Sp>?) and should reconsider his suggestion lest they commit bodily harm on his person. Apparently they felt that the exhuberance of youth was far more powerfull than the experience that comes with age. The mischievious young fellows then leaned towards him and withdrew small semi-automatic pistols from the backs of their ill fitting paints and began waving them about to and fro. Well.... I was certainly a bit suspicious of their intentions by this point as was the older Hispanic male. I could tell he was concerned by the way he ran past me. Most of those young rascals jumped in a mid 90's green Ford Explorer (I don't really like them as they are hard to see around when they are driving in front of you) so I hopped into the passenger seat of my manly Nissan Sentra and expressed a desire to my wife that she drive my @$$ the heck out of there to another location. She was busy calling 911 to report the scamps and their antics with the weapons so I had to sit there and resist the urge to urinate on myself as another group of young people in ill fitting pants stood near our car and waved direction at the first group, offering advice in Spanish as to how they felt situation should be handled. It was interesting to note the expression on the second group of young men's faces as they listened to my wife making the 911 call (the windows were down)in reference to them. As she warned the Police Officers and Firefighters of the firearm danger those crazy young kids decided to run away rather than killing us. Pussies. We then drove to a safe location a block away and watched the Firemen squirt water on the fire for awhile before heading home. I stopped at Publix on the way home and got 8 lbs of Snow Crab on sale for $4.99 a pound. Yummy.

Mac

Proud Owner of:
The one and

studegary
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
About two years ago, I saw a light blue '61 Lark sedan in a small used car lot about 60 miles north of Tampa. I reside in New York state, but spot Studebakers everywhere.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

jcarmichael
04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
I sure hope he sells that for $8800 as it might make mine worth more, or at least part of what I have spent. Actually if I don't sell it, it's ok as the price of gas keeps going higher the near 20 MPG looks great.

1961 Lark

Dick Steinkamp
04-22-2006, 06:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

I had a Studebaker day today.

Great story Mac!

BTW, this cute Lark type...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-1965-STUDEBAKER-CRUISER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQitemZ4631214958QQrdZ1

Has been on eBay at least twice and has only bid up to $3,850. I would really doubt if the Lark you described would realistically be worth even that...although it sounds like a sweet little car.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Studedude1961
04-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Funny where these spiffy upmarket Larks show up sometimes. About a year ago a young woman shopped her "immaculate" 1960 Lark station wagon around to a few of our local club members. Our club is very pro-2 door V-8 so the little 6 cylinder wagon didn't get much interest. Besides she wanted $10,000 for the car. Long story short it ended up on one of those "buy here pay here" lots here in Omaha. They were selling the car on consignment for the little lady who owned it at a considerable discount. The firm price was $4,500. The two little magnets I put all over the lower parts of the car fell off every time. The paint was done Earl Scheib's brother Carl "Housepaint Works on Cars Too" Scheib and the chrome had been thoughtfully sprayed with silver spray paint. The interior was nice and you could see the road a little under the brake and clutch pedals. Someone bought the car a few days later, but we've never seen it around town. What, by the way, is "Certified Pre-Owned?"

--Studedude1961
1963 Cruiser

Eman
04-22-2006, 07:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

The paint was done Earl Scheib's brother Carl "Housepaint Works on Cars Too" Scheib...

LOL! :D

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog

Eman
04-22-2006, 07:15 PM
I saw that one listed, Dick. It's nice looking. I think originally it had a buy it now price of $7250 (Or somewhere thereabout).

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Great story Mac!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-1965-STUDEBAKER-CRUISER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQitemZ4631214958QQrdZ1

Has been on eBay at least twice and has only bid up to $3,850. I would really doubt if the Lark you described would realistically be worth even that...although it sounds like a sweet little car.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog

MacMyers
04-22-2006, 10:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Great story Mac!

That is a pretty nice car. I like it better than the 61. The one I saw had all the rust covered in shiny new paint though! I probably am dumb enough to have given the guy $3500 as I lately seem prone to doing idiotic knee-jerk stuff. I'm going to try to get one as a driver and ditch my Crown Vic soon. Nothing like $54.40 at the pump....plus it drives like a boat and I may actually be the only person under 60 who drives one. I still have the Poop Hawk taking up space in my Garage (I'll be glad when I can dump it) and for some reason I bought the Messtang (Wife likes em' and I got it dirt cheap) and I'll need to finish it before I buy anything else (at least IT runs). It's almost like I have more money than brains...cept I ain't got much of either.
I did enjoy seeing all of the Studes today. It's amazing that I've actually found three just by keeping my eyes open. And the cars at PJ's are all Solid #3 cars that are cool to look at...even if they call them 1's and price them at 40k.

Proud Owner of:
The one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK
And the 1966 Messtang!