This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window switch

Got a fella near here that drives a 51 Commander 4-dr. He was just here and bought a fresh(er) 6volt generator since the one on his car had died and he didn't feel like spending the 100 bucks the shop wanted to overhaul his. As it happened, I had one here that had been given to me a few years ago and it looks like new - inside and out.

ANYway....... He asked me if the 2-piece windshield of a 50 sedan and the 2-piece rear glass of a 50 LC could be made to work on his 51 Commander. I've got my doubts but I said I'd ask here to see if anyone knows for sure. So.....

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Just my guess: the rear MIGHT work, but the front window channel has a point in it on the two peice windshield. The 51 doesn't. Don't hold me on this, it may actually work. Why is he going to put older style glass in it?

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter

63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

Comment

wHERE THERE'S A WILL...AND A TORCH AND A WELDER, who needs a reason?

I don't know either. The windshield is described as "bent", not curved. The planar surfaces are flat, just as in the split windshield. Weld in a center bar, spring for the new gasket and buy flat glass...could be cheaper than a bent windshield.

Now, about the backlight...all reason eludes me.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The windsheild opening is shaped differently.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti
        54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, this is my thinking too. That center point of the front glass just isn't enough of a point to take on the flat glass's junction, gaskets and whatnot.

As to his reason for wanting to know? He's cheap. It's just a cool old car to him - but it does take him to work and back each day. He's just worried that if a stone takes the glass out, it would cost him $400 to have it fixed.

I tried to reassure him that the $400 wouldn't be lost on a drivable V8 bullet-nose, but he's cheaper than even a "Stude Guy"![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dimensionally, I'm pretty sure the back window will work. You just have the center-division bar issue. Would need to install one of course.

Last time I checked we still had a new one piece backglass for '51s. That was in 2000[:0]

kz
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X