PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on 53 Hdtp interior

ddub
04-20-2006, 09:19 PM
The door panels on my 4H-K5 are missing the stainless accent near the bottom of the panels. I talked to Rene' at Phantom. He advises not to bother looking for a correct original but to find the corresponding piece from a later K body. He said that piece is a little wider and more likely to survive the transplant but would be noticed by a judge.

Am I better off without the trim or with the wrong trim? Does anyone have these pieces from a Hawk that they would part with?

53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

rockne10
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Any stitched seam on the door panel should be covered with trim, so wider trim would be better than no trim, depending on your goal. Do you have a deadline? Have all attempts to find the correct trim been exhausted?

If this must be ready for judging by a certain date, I would acquire whatever trim you can, keep looking for the correct trim and do not install it until the last possible moment.

The pieces you need are out there somewhere. Network; be persistent; keep reminding me and I may find them in a salvage yard sometime soon.

dclewallen
04-21-2006, 03:22 PM
I posted asking about the same exact piect of door panel trim awhile back. So far I haven't been able to locate one either. Good luck, but, as has been said theres one out there somewhere.

Darryl C. Lewallen

ddub
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Darryl, that does not sound encouraging! I guess well have to look harder.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

ralt12
04-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I may or may not use the trim pieces on my hardtop--if I don't, I'll
post it here. We're close to interior decisions and colors on my car, so it won't be too long.

'53 Commander

Transtar56
04-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Ill look too,I know where theres a very rusty,but mostly intact 53 Starliner,since those pieces are stainless,and inside the car,they might have survived.
I think the owner will part with them,because all his Studies(about 50) are parts cars.
The sad thing about this one is I remember when it was in very good condition,and the owner had planned on restoring it.
He just never got around to it,the raccoons broke in and tore up the interior,and she settled into the ground as the tires went flat.
Now its just a hulk.

BeeJay
04-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Not sure if this will help, BUT

I have pieces from a Hawk door panel that was in my '53 when purchased. Don' know what year.

7/16" x 43 1/8" 1 pc
7/16" x 23" 1 pc
1" x 43" 2 pc
1" x 20 3/4" 1 pc

They all have the mild steel inner retainer part and are in good condition. Should have another of each of the short pieces, but may not. Would have to scrounge through parts and I just had knee replacement on 13 April so I am not getting around as well as I used to.

Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.

dclewallen
04-22-2006, 12:02 PM
The lower piece asked about here is as long as the door panel[?] and 3/16 to 1/4" wide. If we are talking about the same piece of trim?

Darryl C. Lewallen

ddub
04-22-2006, 01:13 PM
What dclewallen said.

According to Rene' the original 53 piece cannot be salvaged because of its construction. I know there is a note about that piece in the parts book, something to do with it being crimped in place. I don't have a later parts book so I don't know about Hawks, but it seems there is a corresponding piece of trim used there that can be used as a replacement.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

studehunter
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
You can contact James Neinast at 803-684-0000 in SC he has all sorts of trim and I personally know he has a couple of 53 in his inventory

Good Luck

Jeff_H
05-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I found out with my '53 that there are 2 styles of the lower trim strip on the doors. One kind has pegs on it that poke through the panel backing and are bent over to hold it on. The other kind has a flat area that is stapled to the panel and then that area is covered up with the upholstery just leaving a rib exposed. They look the same from the outside but mount different to the panel. My car had the 1st type and they are mangled. I got some of the second type from a parts car unknowingly but cannot install them since they have to be made into the panel. Probably those are the kind Rene' was referring to. I got my panels from him as well. I think late '53s and all '54s use that type. If my original strips weren't bent beyond fixing, I'd use them. So, right now I don't have any lower trim strips. My panels are black and the lack of the trim is not noticeable unless you know its suppose to be there so I have not been persuing it too hard.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

klifton1
05-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I think 55's used the same piece. (Approx 3/16 X 42 in,in stainless) 1/2 in nails hold it on the door panel. I have an extra one complete. I was going to cut it up for the kick panels on my Speedster. Is this what you are looking for?
Klif

ddub
05-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Klifton 1, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for. If you are interested in selling, send me an email.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state