This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did it again

If ya'll remember last year about this time I bought a 50 Starlight Coupe in New York, flew up and drove it back to Dale, Okla., well this time it's a 60 Lark in Bangor, Pa. (item # 4629868762) It will need tires before the drive back. Does it have 14 or 15 inch wheels. I put 195-75-15s on the 50. The Lark is located near Allentown. It has a 259, automatic. What size tires should I put on it. I do want radials. Any opinions on the car would be welcome. We had a great time on the trip with the Starlight, and we are looking foward to this trip as well. Thanks, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

Dale
    I would put the 195x 15's on that car
    it will drive & handle a lot better
    John

Comment

The trick will be FINDING 195s - outside of going with Coker for a gazillion bucks.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That car looked like a great deal, even for a 4 door. It looks like a cute car and I almost broke my own rule about buying a 4 door for resale.<g> It shows you can still find nice Studebakers on a budget that will be as much or more fun to drive and enjoy as the "flashy" examples.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti
        54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

OkieBob,
          I have 205-75-R15s on my 60 2dr sedan. It steers very good, you can 1 hand it @ parking speeds. The front end has a fresh rebuild and that may have something to do with it. I'm running stock wheels (soon to upgrade to the ranger wheel)no problems with clearance either.
          Do a extra good grease job on it escpecially king pins prior to your drive home Have FUN!!
          Russ
          quote:Originally posted by okiebob

If ya'll remember last year about this time I bought a 50 Starlight Coupe in New York, flew up and drove it back to Dale, Okla., well this time it's a 60 Lark in Bangor, Pa. (item # 4629868762) It will need tires before the drive back. Does it have 14 or 15 inch wheels. I put 195-75-15s on the 50. The Lark is located near Allentown. It has a 259, automatic. What size tires should I put on it. I do want radials. Any opinions on the car would be welcome. We had a great time on the trip with the Starlight, and we are looking foward to this trip as well. Thanks, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER
          Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Your right Mr. Biggs! I paid about $650 for the ones on the 50 Starlight, 9 plus mounting and balance. I would like to spen a little less on the Lark. Is there another size that will work that might be more available? Are they 14 or 15's? Thanks OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

Comment

The only cars that would have 14" wheels from the factory would be some 1958 models. I believe Scotsmen still had 15" wheels and I think they were optional on all models in 1958. So odds are you have 15" wheels but it probably wouldn't hurt to just ask the seller to make absolutely sure.

good luck,

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Those are 15's. It has standard full wheel covers.

Comment

As has been said here - 15" Go with the 205s.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This brings back memories We bought a 60 Lark on ebay out in Omaha area and we also drove it home a total of 1000 miles . On the way home we stopped off at a Zone meet in the Quad Citys and also a cruise night in South Bend ....what timing [^] That little car went all that way with out any trouble , what fun that was . My Lark came with a new set of tires on it when I bought it and they are 205 70r X 15 r , seem to work just fine.
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I just ordered a set of 205/75/15's from tirerack.com, $185.80 delievered to my new Lark in Pa. Dennis will have them installed, oil changed and lubed and ready for the return trip to Okieland. I appreciate all the help you guys offer. My wife and I will be going up in late April, and are looking foward to another great adventure! Nothing puts a smile on your face like driving a Studebaker!! Again thanks for all the help. Later, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

Comment

Oi. Look guys, just go down to Les Schwabs (or probably any tire dealer) and ask for KingStars. Chineese made (unfortuneately) and will fit the car. It does'nt make the steering heavy and puts the car at the proper ride height. Side benefit, they're less than a hundred bucks each.

They're 205/75 R15 slightly larger than stock. They work very well with my Larks. If you have tired springs, the front wheels will grind the wells. Frankly, new springs are less than the cost of the more expensive tires. Unless one is setting up for show. I thought you were looking to just move the car... right?

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

2R5 just curious: Was the 1960 Lark you bought in Omaha a dark blue 2-door with a 6 and three on the tree purchased after 2003?

Studedude1961
                          1963 Cruiser

Comment

John...it sure was . I actually bought it in Council Bluff just across the river from Omaha.
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Okie Bob, way to go. My Daddy grew up in Bangor,PA. I know the area , but I'm sure it has changed, Last time there was 1980. Have a great trip, retirement is great. Now, what car are you taking to the National? Perhaps an He and a She car.

Comment

Working...
                              X