This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 year Ownership

On April 22, 2006 I will have owned my '53 Champion coupe (C body) for 50 years. I imagine there are people in the club who can top that length of ownership and I would be interested in their stories.
    This car was a college graduation present from my parents. Like many young men in the 50's, I was highly impressed with the Olds "Rocket 88," and my father and I were trying to find one. Calls to Olds dealers in neighboring towns didn't turn up a used 88, but one dealer said he had a Studebaker coupe I might be interested in. When I got there, and saw this car, I forgot all about Oldsmobiles! I have never understood how I had missed noticing the Stude coupe at its introduction in '53. Maybe I was looking at girls instead! I immediately knew that I would keep this car "forever."
    Wisconsin winters took their toll on the body, and it hasn't been on the road now for a number of years. But I have been collecting parts for a long time and with the help of a restoration shop to do the body work, along with a rust free frame I found in Turning Wheels, I hope to have it at South Bend in '07.

Jerry Buck
    '53 Champion Coupe (C)
    '61 Lark VI Convertible

What a story! I'll be looking for it in So. Bend 07!

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter

63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

Comment

Geez, I've got damn few things that I've owned for 50 years! Damned few![:0] Amazing tale. I will look forward to seeing the car in SB.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Geez, I've got damn few things that I've owned for 50 years! Damned few![:0] Amazing tale. I will look forward to seeing the car in SB.

I have only owned one car for more than ten years and that was for 13 years. I like to have a lot of different cars, but not too many at one time.
        As far as things, there are a lot of things that I have owned for more than 50 years, like the desk next to me, the desk lamp on it, the original auto design drawing in front of me, etc., etc.

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You've got me beat. I've only owned my own body for 44 years.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My Congratulations, StudeNut! Keepers are also "the backbone of the hobby", to borrow a phrase said elsewhere. As of Labor Day 2006, I will have owned my brand C 35 years, another one 25 years, and a brand B 20 years. It is not everyones' way of doing things, and that is definitely understandable. But, where would we be if a good number of us hadn't preserved those old cars for so long?

Comment

Packebaker, where can I see pics of your car?

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter

63 Daytona HT (project)
              51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
              52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

Comment

mb, I would oblige, but as of now, I am too low tech. But, one of these days, I'll post photos of the Hot Rod Packebaker as it proceeds. Regretably, I never did take photos of the 56 GH and loaded 63 Cruiser I had ahold of, and let slip through my fingers. I still wake up late at night with anxiety attacks......

Comment

It's my 33rd year of owning my Lark.Out of it's 47 year existance ! What's that 70% ? .....

Comment

There was article in Turning Wheels in the past 2 years about long ownerships in cars, and I believe the record holder was a couple that had purchased a 50 or 51 Landcruiser and still owned it.

I still own a 63 GT purchased new by my dad in November 1962, as wellas my first car, a 1955 Champion coupe, purchased when I was 14. I'm afraid that's almost 40 years ago.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X