This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 crank pulleys

I'm attempting to install a supercharger in my Starliner. To avoid the high cost of original Stude. parts, does anyone know of a 3-belt crank pulley from another brand of vehicle that could be modified to fit the Studebaker V-8 engine? I really hope this is not seen as a stupid question, just an idea. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

Not an answer to your pulley question, but what supercharger set up are you planning on using? A '57-'58 Golden Hawk set up will not fit under the hood of a '53-'55 Starliner without modifications, such as lowering the engine mounts or putting a hole in the hood.

This is from someone that installed a '57 Golden Hawk engine with supercharger in a '53 Commander Starliner.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I would assume Avanti, since he said "3-groove pulley." And AFAIK the Avanti setup will work with some minor massaging of the pass side inner fender, although I have not tried it myself.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have seen the later model Paxton blowers mounted in a 53/54 off to the side, need to cut a hole in the passenger inner fender but it does fit.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The supercharger I'm planning to use is a small Powerdyne [BD-550]. Its small but looks like some modifying of the passenger inner fender may be nessary. I was hoping that I could get a pulley from some other kind of car and remachine the center bore or redrill the mounting bolt holes. I'm not sure of anything yet as I haven't removed the stock crank pulley from the current engine. I'm assuming I'll have to have a 3-groove type pulley. I'm also planning to make some shorter front engine mounts. How thick are the Avanti mounts? It's been suggested the these are the ones I should use? Studegary, Did you have to cut a hole in the hood to mount this blower in your 53? I want to avoid this if possible Thanks all,

Darryl C. Lewallen
          Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

On another supercharger related line. I'm swapping on a later type front timing cover that has the mount for the fuel pump [my 232 has it mounted on the top of the engine]. If I get a boost referenced type manual pump like came on a supercharged Studebaker, can I run this pump as a normal non blown pump by plugging the boost reference line. I ask this because I might have this part installed before I find out weather I can mount and make the blower work. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

D.C. There is a difference in the mounts that bolt or are rivited to the frame front crosmember,on the 53 the mounts are rivited on with 6, 3/8"
              rivits. The engine sits 1" higher and 5 1/2" farthur back on a 53 compaired to a Lark or Avanti. On the Avantis I have found that the mount thickness is only about 1/8" to 1/4" difference. So I take a piece of 2 1/4" diam. urethane bar stock and cut it to length. On the pulleys, just get another single pulley and spacer, remove the sprocket from the crank to change the bolts and bolt everything back up.

Comment

Don't think that pump will fit, it will hit the mount.

Comment

Some of the part vendors sell the "short" front mount (7/8" thick), but this may require you to use the later V8 pump that does not have the glass filter bowl on it. You'll probably want to go for an electric pump for more volume anyway.
                  Dan Miller

Comment

The glass bowl pump works fine with the thin motor mounts, the later metal bowl pump will not work on an early C-K frame even with the stock mounts without some massaging of the front frame mount to clear the outlet fitting.

I would probably use a '57-58 Golden Hawk fuel pump if you want a mechanical pump. The R2 pump will definitely not fit without clearancing the fram mount or else swapping in a front mount from an R2 Hawk.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks all and to Alan for the obvious easy answer to my question

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

BTW, the early waterpump manifold will not clear the late timing cover.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                        63 Avanti
                        54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks JDP for that valuable piece of information. Does anyone have a later style waterpump manifold they'd be willing to part with?

Darryl C. Lewallen

Comment

Working...
                          X