PDA

View Full Version : Had a visitor

Mr.Biggs
04-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Have had a nice, long visit with Gordon Richmond today - actually, starting yesterday, when Gordon found his way to the "StudeFarm".[}:)]
Gordon (gordr on this forum) was returning home to Alberta with his latest addition to his flock of Studes - a 64 Daytona hardtop he'd picked up via ebay. The car looks a bit scruffy but closer inspection reveals it's really pretty solid and straight![:0]
It appears it's been off the roads for as many as 2 decades, but Gordon, I'm sure, will set his magic wrenches upon it and have it running in no time at all.;)
Gordon, the wife and me shared a couple of meals during the course of his stay here and of course, he got the 25 cent tour of my personal Junkyar.... er "Collection"[:p]
He even wheedled me out of a grille for that 64 he was haulin' (just teasin' Gord!)
Here he is, sittin' next to his new toy and a Hercules JXB (not JXD) engine that was used in a prewar Stude truck.
We had a good time swappin' stories and easing down some libations til about midnight. I sent him away with a few bags of citrus from our trees. He's not gonna be short on vitamin C for some time now!

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/1144006510649_S2400787.JPG

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Biggsy,

So that's what the helpful genius gordr looks like.

I'm sure glad a meteor didn't hit Visalia while Gordon was at your house. I would hate to have lost our two best Stude electrical problem solvers! [V]

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

Roscomacaw
04-13-2006, 09:03 PM
He's alive and well. BTW, Gord's a geologist by trade. Knows way more than car circuits and fender patching![:0];):D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
04-13-2006, 10:36 PM
A geologist, huh? Well, he may have actually liked it if a meteor had slammed to earth nearby while he was there.:D

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

Transtar56
04-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Hey Gord,thats a good looking "builder",and I bet it was a blast to visit Ol'Biggs(G).
Sure hope I make it out to the left coast someday to visit all you guys.
Another biker buddys trying to talk me in to going to Sturgis with him this summer,but Ill have to wait and see how our contract negotiations go at work.

Oldcals
04-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, Gord should be back at least to Washington State by now. He stopped in here (Redding) a little before noon and wound up helping me tear down a parts donor M16. Said he wanted to make it to Chris Coops' place tonight so I kicked him out about 2:00. Once he gets started disassembling stuff he is darn hard to stop.

Dwain G.
04-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Did you have Gord check your place for oil while he was there?

Dwain G.

Dick Steinkamp
04-15-2006, 09:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Oldcals

Well, Gord should be back at least to Washington State by now. He stopped in here (Redding) a little before noon and wound up helping me tear down a parts donor M16. Said he wanted to make it to Chris Coops' place tonight so I kicked him out about 2:00. Once he gets started disassembling stuff he is darn hard to stop.

If he was at Chris' place last night, he's probably at Dwain's now. I'll look for him tonight in Bellingham.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Studedude
04-15-2006, 10:26 AM
quote:If he was at Chris' place last night, he's probably at Dwain's now. I'll look for him tonight in Bellingham.That fellow sure gets around! I had the pleasure of his company here a while back... he's good company!

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

Roscomacaw
04-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, he was gonna deliver some steering column parts to Chris for me. Love that Studebaker pipeline!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studecoop
04-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Had a nice visit from Gord... he called last night from Eugene, OR. and said he would be by in the morning to drop of a package of power steeing parts from StudeBob... we had a nice chat... he has a naice 64 project. Gors is now on his way home... he figures about 800 miles until he gets home. What a trip!!!

Thaks StudeBob for the parts... a check is on it's way!!!

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
Vancouver, WA.

gordr
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by studecoop

Had a nice visit from Gord... he called last night from Eugene, OR. and said he would be by in the morning to drop of a package of power steeing parts from StudeBob... we had a nice chat... he has a naice 64 project. Gors is now on his way home... he figures about 800 miles until he gets home. What a trip!!!

Thaks StudeBob for the parts... a check is on it's way!!!

Sedans Rule!!!

Chris Coop
Vancouver, WA.

Just a note to say I'm back home safe and sound. After leaving the Coop Studebaker ranch, I drove up I-84 to Umatilla, and then up 395 to Spokane and overnighted in Post Falls, ID. There were actually a few flakes of snow in the air as I went through Coeur d'Alene the next morning, but basically the weather was fine, if cool.

Everything went smoothly crossing the border, and I arrived home about 30 minutes past midnight. Now to unload/unpack!

I would be remiss if I failed to thank both Fred Cook and StudeBob, and their wives for the gracious hospitality, and also to Dick Steinkamp's daughter and son in law for providing me with a couch to flop on at Los Osos. Other than contending with monsoon weather from Washington to California, my trip went very smoothly. Other than a sporadic trouble code from the turbo boost sensor, the Suburban never missed a beat, and the trailer with the car loaded was no problem to pull at all. I have yet to compute my overall trip fuel mileage, but it really wasn't bad.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

BobPalma
04-17-2006, 02:03 PM
How many TOTAL miles for the entire adventure, Gordon? It sounds like quite a few. Good to hear of the safe return. What all is/was involved in "importing" the '64 to Canada...or was it Hamilton production to begin with and just "coming home?" ;) :) BP

gordr
04-17-2006, 09:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

How many TOTAL miles for the entire adventure, Gordon? It sounds like quite a few. Good to hear of the safe return. What all is/was involved in "importing" the '64 to Canada...or was it Hamilton production to begin with and just "coming home?" ;) :) BP

I will have to total up the miles. I spent the entire day outside. Got the Daytona off the trailer, and I figured there was no time like the present to see if it would run. Set my winch battery in the battery tray, and discovered there were no battery cables on the car. I found a couple in the barn that did the job. The winch battery had been pretty well run down, and didn't crank the engine. I got another battery and jumper cables, and the engine cranked, but not rapidly. It DID develop some oil pressure, though. Friendly omen.:D

I poured a little fuel into the carb, and tried the key. No fire happened, so I popped off the distributor cap and ran a points file through the points. Replaced the cap, and got a little fire. At this point, I was interrupted by some Stude visitors, and got back to it in an hour or so. I poured a gallon of gas into the tank, and it stayed there, didn't immediately run out. Primed it once more, twice more, three times more, and eventually. the 259 took off and ran not too badly, but the water pump was REAL bad. I removed it, and found a spare in the back seat. Installed that one, and it appears to be OK. No noise, and if it leaks, it's not immediately apparent.

Got it running, and let it warm up. Holds about 30# oil pressure at a warm idle. A little blue smoke, not much. The steering pump was noisy, so I added some fluid, and the noise went away. Power steering works great. I filled up the master cylinder, which was right dry, and pumped out a lot of air bubbles, but I wasn't able to get any brake action at all. I'll have to pull the drums and see what's in there. I'm sure this WAS a disc brake car, but they are long gone, and regular V8 car finned brake drums are in their place. And parking brake cables are missing. Maybe there's no shoes in there? Pretty sure now this car was used as a donor car to equip a Hawk with 289, 4 speed, and disc brakes.

I did a couple of slow orbits of the yard, and the car steers and drives OK as far as I can tell. I tried to drive it up on ramps so I could change the oil, and I ran out of gas. I did jack it up. and got the oil drained, and that's where it sits.

I still haven't checked to see if the present rear axle is flanged or tapered, but it is a 3.31 Model 44 with open differential.

Oh, forgot to mention, the alternator does work fine. Lights, horn, and radio are all dead, though. And the speedo doesn't work. I'll bet it was never reconnected after the tranny swap.

If anyone on the forum here has a factory disc brake setup, I'd be interested in talking.

BTW, one of my visitors today street-rodded a '55 President coupe (NOT a Speedster), and has offered me the 259, automatic, rear axle, dash, and front suspension for a nominal sum. I expect that'd be the DG250 with first-gear start?

BTW, I also got the Hercules JXB off the trailer, and opened the oil pan drain plug, and drained out about 2 quarts of clean fresh water that got in from the California monsoons. I doubt it hurt anything.

So I'm a tired puppy after moving all that iron:)

BTW, importing the car to Canada was a 2-step process. First, I had to clear the car out of U.S. Customs. That meant I had to fax 2 copies of the title (both sides) and bill of sale to the Customs station at Whitlash, Montana, which handles this work for the region where I crossed. They need a 72 hour advance on that, too. Since I faxed Thursday afternoon, I was OK by Sunday afternoon. Once I got to the Customs station at Eastport, ID, I took my original title and bill of sale in to the counter, and the

Roscomacaw
04-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Man, that's cool Gord! Sounds like that lil' philly wants to go!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dick Steinkamp
04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Gord,
Glad to hear you are home safe and that your eBay purchase is a winner. You needed another project anyway...didn't you :D

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

DilloCrafter
04-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Man, that Gordon is a car-working fool (meant in a good way)!

Now I feel extremely lazy for the lack of progress on my truck.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

Roscomacaw
04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Hell, I had to take a NAP after Gordon left here![|)] Just the thought of his projected projects are enough to put me down for a week![:0];)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

BobPalma
04-18-2006, 12:03 PM
:) Good report, Gordon. You make everyone who is at least one day older than you, very jealous of your ambition. :D 'Glad the car satisfies! ;) BP