This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Order

What a neat club . Where else can you send off a measly $25 and get a copy of the original production order for your vintage car. [^]. Received this in the mail today....

It's for the R1 Hawk I currently have "in inventory".

JT-1397 matches with the engine in the car. All the listed options are still there. No extras. The car has been repainted from the original Champagne Gold, however.

It was delivered new in Portland, OR. Hasn't strayed too far from home in these 43 years.

Must have been special ordered by a customer. "SOLD...RUSH". Lucky guy []

Anybody know what "TAG H D NEWCOMBE" means?

This is not the first prod order I've received for a Stude, but what a thrill to get this in the mail!! Order one for your ride from...

Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

A related question...once you have one (which i do, it came with my car)I understand you can create your own window "sticker".

Where can I get one? or If you only get a blank, where do you find out the retail prices for the car, options and delivery to put on it?

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yep, it still has the 55 white wall tires
      Funny, this many years latter, we still use the number code in our invotory(sp) system. only now its 999 if not logged in the computer.[]

Ebon...
      [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/logo2-3.jpg [/img]

Comment

Studebaker International has window sticker blanks for $3.00.

53 Commander Hardtop
        64 Champ 1/2 ton
        WA state
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

[8D] John: See this thread from a couple days ago. I just today mailed Rick Curtis his MSRP/Options/Prices information. Same offer is available to you. BP

If you only get a blank, where do you find out the retail prices for the car, options and delivery to put on it?[/blue]

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dick: 99 was a generic option code for Special Instructions. In other words, it told the folks on the line and elsewhere to "listen up." Just about anything could follow a Code 99 Option specification.

"Tag" indicates for whom or to what department's attention the car is intended. For example, on the production orders for the 1962 "500 Festival" Indianapolis Pace Car Clones, the last option is:

99 TAG INDIANAPOLIS 500.

I don't know who H D Newcombe is. It might be a Studebaker employee (not necessarily in South Bend or even Indiana), or perhaps a company or fleet buyer, to whom the car was to be shipped, or for whom the car was to receive special attention/preparation/etc. Pure speculation as to H D Newcombe, you understand; I don't profess to know that person or entity. [)] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I had my build sheet made into a sticker by Richard Quinn, or maybe Bob Palma ? He can do the fancy one like the one pictured, or the factory job. (I think)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              63 Avanti
              54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Dick: 99 was a generic option code for Special Instructions. In other words, it told the folks on the line and elsewhere to "listen up." Just about anything could follow a Code 99 Option specification.

"Tag" indicates for whom or to what department's attention the car is intended. For example, on the production orders for the 1962 "500 Festival" Indianapolis Pace Car Clones, the last option is:

99 TAG INDIANAPOLIS 500.

I don't know who H D Newcombe is. It might be a Studebaker employee (not necessarily in South Bend or even Indiana), or perhaps a company or fleet buyer, to whom the car was to be shipped, or for whom the car was to receive special attention/preparation/etc. Pure speculation as to H D Newcombe, you understand; I don't profess to know that person or entity. [)] BP
                Thanks, Bob. One of these days I'll stump you

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

The $4128 that JP's Hawk cost new in 1963 is worth $26,805 in today's dollars. Probably not enough to buy a similar equiped car if Studebaker had stayed in business until now. So much for buying a new car and salting it away as a hedge against inflation.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, I sold "Goldie", another R2 GT for 30K last year, you could have $100/year toward your storage bill.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    63 Avanti
                    54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Hello everyone,
                      This is my first post as I joined last night.

I seem to recall that a manufacturer (thought it was Studebaker, may be wrong) offered the availability to get your own personalised nameplate on the dashboard of your new car.

Perhaps HD Newcombe was the first owner?

John Clements (Adelaide, Sth Australia)

Avantilover your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Nice car I have a 63 GT myself.Just curious,The mesh pattern in the front parking light area is not there as on mine.Is this a personal preference or did you recieve like so ? I have seen a few like this & wonder if they came from the factory like this ?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by kmul221

Nice car I have a 63 GT myself.Just curious,The mesh pattern in the front parking light area is not there as on mine.Is this a personal preference or did you recieve like so ? I have seen a few like this & wonder if they came from the factory like this ?
                          [:I] The mesh on Dick's car has been removed somewhere along the way. BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[:I] The mesh on Dick's car has been removed somewhere along the way. BP
                            Bob's right (as usual [^]). Along with the grill mesh, some emblems (including the R1 emblems) are missing. My guess is that these items didn't find their way back on to the car after the repaint.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Hello everyone,
                              This is my first post as I joined last night.

I seem to recall that a manufacturer (thought it was Studebaker, may be wrong) offered the availability to get your own personalised nameplate on the dashboard of your new car.

Perhaps HD Newcombe was the first owner?

John Clements (Adelaide, Sth Australia)

Avantilover your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Welcome, John!

Included with the owner's manual with this car was a "Name Plate Registration" brocure. There are instructions, and a tear off portion (missing on mine) that was to be sent in to get your personalized name plate. The plate said "Gran Turismo Hawk Quality built expressely for XXXXX XXXXXXX". My car does not have the name plate on the dash.

HD Newcombe could have been the person that ordered the car new. Does anyone know ( Bob[?]) if ALL customer ordered cars had the purchasor shown on line 99 of the production order?

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X