PDA

View Full Version : Stupid battery chargerÖ

ladysilverhawk
04-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Wednesday was a beautiful Iowa spring day and Beloved Hubby offered to take me to dinner. He wasnít home from work yet so I decided to surprise him with our first spring Silver Hawk ride. I opened the garage door, climbed over all the junk in the way, relocated the miscellaneous accumulation of stuff piled on top of the Hawk and peeled off the car cover. When I took out the various items intended for bug/rodent repellent, I was thrilled to find no signs of 6- or 4-legged inhabitants. The advice from this forum worked. The combination of dryer sheets, Irish Spring Soap, mothballs and Lionel, a large and dedicated mouse-eating cat, seemed to do the trick.

I climbed in, crossed my fingers, turned on the helper pump and fired her up. Dragon Hawk started as if she was warm from a short drive rather than sitting cold and silent for several months. She smoothed out and purred like she was eager to see sunshine again. I put her in reverse and slowly backed her thru the garage door. I got her about Ĺ way out of the garage when I heard the dull screech of metal on metal. Damn, I forgot to move the battery charger cart. That (insert explicative of your choice here) battery charger has been in the way for 4 years and every time I take the Hawk out I have to drag it out of the way around the door to get the car out, in fact, I had to climb over itís greasy rusty carcass to get to the car in the first place. I canít believe I forgot to move it. Now I have a nasty scrape on her wheel well down thru the paint to the metal that I canít blame on anyone but myself. I just hate that.

Then Beloved Hubby came home, found me threatening his old battery charger with a large ax and I had to admit to him what happened. He inspected the damage, absolved me of responsibility and we went out to dinner via Studebaker anyway. We had a beautiful, balmy, windows down, ride to the local Culvers for a burger where we treated my anger with a turtle sundae. Now I have to decide how to deal with the damage before the spring car tour. I hate that stupid battery charger.

LadySilverHawk
55 President, BUGSPRT
58 Silver Hawk, DRGNHWK
62 Champ Longbox - OldAndInTheWay

railway
04-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Don't what to said, but I to hate that blankly Blank battery charger!:(

Ebon...
http://jnautoair.com/images/logo2-3.jpg

ROADRACELARK
04-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Aw,Don't sweat the small stuff... that'a what they have touch-up paint for. As for the battery charger, set it aside to use for the heavy duty jobs, go to your local Harbor Freight Tool store and buy what's called a "float charger". It'a very small and does an excellent job keeping the battery charged, but not over-charged. About $6-$8... and won't scratch your paint!
Dan Miller

Roscomacaw
04-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Stuff happens![xx(] It takes a few bad things to help us appreciate the good ones.;)

I let our Lark ragtop take on a tree one day because I did a dumb manuver. A new rear fender moulding, a fresh taillight lens, a bit of rubbing compoud and me an' the Lark forgot all about it.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

redvoyager
04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
My 17 daughter who is not the best driver was leaving for school. My wife told her to be careful backing and not to hit her van. We are sitting there watching tv when we hear a crash. My wife said "I can't believe she hit my van". I told her I would go check so that I could be a buffer betweet the 2. I found my daughters car nowhere near my wifes van, but suspiciously close to my Stude wagon. Rising above my fear I checked to find the wheel well smashed in on my car. Saying nothing I gave her a hug and went back inside, not responding to her continued "sorry". I overcame my homocidal tendacies and told her a week later that she was paying for the repair.

Norm
58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
58 2 door wagon
Davenport, Fl

55s
04-13-2006, 11:31 PM
I left the Honda battery on charge one morning, orange extension cord attached, hood not shut.

I come home at night, hood is all wrinkled. In the back seat, there are the remains of my brand new 6/12 V battery charger.

You can probably guess that the extension cord plug was ripped off, the car was driven down the road for about a mile before the hood flew up and over the roof.

I am very thankful no one was injured.

Transtar56
04-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks 55s,LOL,but I bet it sure wasn't funny at the time!
Just last week I put the first real scratches in my new Sorento,but I bought it to play with in the woods,so what to hay.It still hurts though after you wash it.
Can't wait till Sunday,Diane and I are going into a remote lake that takes a real off roader to get to,and the trout are reportedly the size of row boats(G)

Walt Zander
04-14-2006, 08:34 AM
,and the trout are reportedly the size of row boats(G)

Good thing you have a Transtar to haul that load home! <grin>

'49 Starlight Coupe
1936 Miller Replica

studegary
04-14-2006, 04:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Walt Zander

,and the trout are reportedly the size of row boats(G)

Good thing you have a Transtar to haul that load home! <grin>

'49 Starlight Coupe
1936 Miller Replica

Even though his name is Transtar56, I don't think that he owns one.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

52hawk
04-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Transtar 56 just had his Transtar on ebay--- Quite a nice truck,black,red inside[don't remember what year it is]

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

52hawk
04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Stupid battery charger? Reminds me of the stupid paint booth door.Bought a used car and had it sold [brand-x],I forgot the car was a stick.where's the stupid neutral -safety switch when you need one???[repaired the booth door!]

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

mbstude
04-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Don't feel bad. A friend of mine has a nice 59 Hawk. He uses it as his daily driver currently. He was going to the shop one day and his left rear axle broke. It ruined the trim that goes around the wheel opening and crumpled his rear quarter panel. He bought a new axle and he's still driving that car, dent and all.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter
http://www.stude.com/phpgallery/albums/userpics/0001matthew%7E0.jpghttp://www.stude.com/phpgallery/albums/userpics/avatat.jpghttp://www.stude.com/phpgallery/albums/userpics/basketcase2.jpg
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

redvoyager
04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Daughter revisited. Got a call at work this morn. Same daughter backed into sisters Honda smashing front door. Were looking for driving schools

Norm
58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
58 2 door wagon
Davenport, Fl

52hawk
04-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Oh, those W/O mouldings are cheap!:(

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

KevinSheen
04-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Don't feel bad. I wrecked the Stoogebaker (63 Champ P/U) last week. Damned cel phones[xx(] No one to blame but myself. Kevin

1963 Champ

Transtar56
04-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Sorry to hear that Kevin,did you get my E-mail?
Thats right Gary,as of last Wed. night I no longer own a Transtar,but I don't want to confuse everyone by changing my name(G)
I should call my self 60 Hawk,as thats one that Im never gonna let get away.

Transtar56
04-15-2006, 06:23 AM
It was black,with white dash and door panels,and its a 56.

KevinSheen
04-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Transtar, I did get the e-mail this AM. I answered as well this AM. The important thing is that the dog is alright and I am too[B)]. And my wife didn't kill me[:I][:0][:o)] Gotta get back aboard the ship. There's too many moving parts ashore[:o)] Kevin

1963 Champ

studegary
04-15-2006, 12:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Sorry to hear that Kevin,did you get my E-mail?
Thats right Gary,as of last Wed. night I no longer own a Transtar,but I don't want to confuse everyone by changing my name(G)

Mr. Black/Transtar56 - I wasn't trying to imply that you should change your name. Just that you don't have a Transtar to haul those huge fish in, as someone suggested. I agree that it is less confusing keeping the same name in groups of this sort.

Gary L.

Roscomacaw
04-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Not to grind on you, Kevin (and I'm really sorry to hear of the Stoogebaker getting broken!)(happy the wife didn't finish YOU off as well!), but I wish there'd be some sort of law passed against using a cellphone while driving. I see so many dumb moves by folks with that damnable phone plastered to one ear!:( I don't want my Stude wrecked or myself or my wife injured because someone was catching up on their gossip quota![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Transtar56
04-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Its getting to be a serious problem,esp. with todays "go-cart" fast steering vheicals.I know with my Sorento,just changing a CD can have me headed off the road if Im not carefull.

studegary
04-15-2006, 02:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Not to grind on you, Kevin (and I'm really sorry to hear of the Stoogebaker getting broken!)(happy the wife didn't finish YOU off as well!), but I wish there'd be some sort of law passed against using a cellphone while driving. I see so many dumb moves by folks with that damnable phone plastered to one ear!:( I don't want my Stude wrecked or myself or my wife injured because someone was catching up on their gossip quota![}:)]

I believe that New York was the first state to pass a law making it illegal to use a hand held phone while driving. This was some time (years) ago. The problem is that it seems to be rarely enforced. It does have a pretty good fine - $500 for first offense, I believe. Of course, many phones have now gotten so small that it is hard to tell if someone is using a phone or just has their hand by their head. On one of my trips out today, I had my eye on a lady driving behind me. She dialed her cell phone and then held it to her ear while she was smoking a cigarette with her other hand. Touching the steering wheel seemed to be incidental and of course she hever signalled for any turns. I am still cell phone free.

Gary L.

KevinSheen
04-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I had a friend I sailed with years ago who went to an ATM. He got his cash and started to drive off. Standard transmission, eating a burger, lighting a cigarette and trying to answer the cel phone. He made the left onto the street and kept going left, jumped the curb and plowed through the front door of the bank[:0]. It was about midnight and he told me as he was sitting in the truck in the bank's lobby, he figured he better get out of there because they shoot bank robbers. He took off and went to our local bar where the cops csught up with him and hauled him off in cuffs. He wound up paying a hefty price for that boondoggle.
And Mr Biggs, I learned my lesson.[:I] Kevin

1963 Champ

MikeW
04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
As long as Mr Biggs mentioned it I will remind anyone who might be driving through Chicago that they do have a law probibiting the use of Cell Phones in moving vehicles unless its hands free. They do enforce the law just ask my son if you doubt. Personally I think its a great law.

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

DilloCrafter
04-15-2006, 04:36 PM
quote:Sorry to hear that Kevin,did you get my E-mail?

Transtar56, I think you could gradually "morph" your username. Change it first to something like "60Hawk-Transtar56" and then later to "60Hawk".

But then again, why not infuse the username with something unique about yourself, since there are going to be others coming along to the forum who also own a 60 Hawk? I can already tell you are a unique enough individual that some kind of name would single you out well (but I'm not making any such suggestions for that name) [8D].

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

ladysilverhawk
04-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah, the cell phone thing drives me nuts too. It's scary enough with a distracted driver with a phone plastered to the head but those of us (and you know you are out there) who also text message while driving are probably even more dangerous as we/they are looking at the phone while they type instead of the road and traffic. I wonder how many novice teenage drivers run into the back of some unsuspecting motorist (or worse) while texting and do the cops or insurance adjusters even think to check that out. With texting, not only is the sender at risk but also the person they are sending the message to. If that person is also driving then they have thier eyes off the road too to read the message. That can be very scary game of cell phone roulette and the risk is growing with the popularity of the Trio and Blackberry type devices adn phones that have built in MP3 players. I hate to admit it but I have a Blackberry and have been guilty of using it in motion but I learned my lesson the hard way so now the phone is on the console and handsfree when I drive and I text message only when parked.

LadySilverHawk
55 President, BUGSPRT
58 Silver Hawk, DRGNHWK
62 Champ Longbox - OldAndInTheWay

hank63
04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Here in the Sunshine State in Oz, driving and using a mobile (not hands-free) has the same penalty as running a red light. $225 and 3 demerit points against your licence.
/H

Roscomacaw
04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
As it should be!:(

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Blue 15G
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
When I first learned to drive, Dad told me that the most dangerous aspect of driving was backing up. He was right (as usual). ;)

studegary
04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

When I first learned to drive, Dad told me that the most dangerous aspect of driving was backing up. He was right (as usual). ;)

In my seven years of driving stretch limousines, the only damage that I did to a car was while backing up. A wedding party insisted on going to a busy McDonalds. While backing in a tight space, someone opened a rear door. That distracted me and I scrapped the rear quarter on a fence (should have been her rear quarter and not the car's <G>).

Gary L.