This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk question

I found a guy who lives just down the road who has two Studebakers that Id never seen before,though Id heard about.
    Turns out one is a beautiful 60 Hawk that he's given to his daughter(lucky Gal). This is the second 60 Hawk Ive seen that has a Golden Hawk type dash,the vac gauge between the speedo and tach,and the clock over in front of the passenger. Id like to know,was this dash an option Studebaker would sell you in 1960,or were both these cars modified?
    The other Stude is a real solid,nearly rust free 51 Champion Starlight coupe that needs everything.Engines not stuck but current owner has never had it running,body has many dents,interoir ruined,cracked windshield and side windows,in other words, needs a full restoration. The old guy says he has a "ton" of parts that go with it,but I didn't have time to have a look yet.
    Id love to have the little Champion but his asking price of 6k Can. is way out of line.
    I do plan on going back and looking through the spare parts and make him an offer.
    Hes got quite a collection,mint 74(?) Lincon Conti, 56 VW beetle,duce coupe(probaly glass) with a 454 big block,among others.
    The Champions sitting out doors and its not going to stay rust free forever,so I hope he will come down in price enough that someone(me) will save it.
    Yesterday I loaded my 56 Transtar on a trailer for the new owner,so shes gone back to the US.
    Had a pretty good off roading trip with my son,we really put the Kia through her paces,and she passed every test,but the damn bushes are taking a toll on the paint,but,thats what I bought her for.

I've not read that Studebaker offered a vacuum/economy gauge as an option in 1960. My 60 doesn't have a vac gauge but the dash does have the hole for one (in the fiber glass not in the overlay). So, it would be pretty easy to add one.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Thanks Bob,Id love to up-grade mine (60 Hawk) to the Golden Hawk type dash too,its just so much sharper looking.

Comment

As bshaw said, the hole is in the 'glass dash.The aluminum overlay can be cut out with a good sharp utility knife. My 61 was cut out,but no gauge-so I got a vaccuum gauge at the SB swap meet last year. Also,to put the clock on the passenger side,the hole is also there,just cut out the overlay.

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        60Lark
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

From what I've read, the vacuum gage was a dealer installed accessory by 1960, probably to get rid of any left over gages from earlier years. My 60 Hawk has the vac gage, a tach, and the clock is in front of the passenger seat. The production order doesn't mention anything about a dash option. I think the clock was located in front of the passenger because with a tach, there's no room anywhere else. The dash does look good at night, all the gages lit up like an airplane cockpit.[]

Comment

Hey thanks you guys!
            I guess all I need is to find a clock and a vac gauge and a sharp instrument.
            Any of you guys have either the clock or the vac gauge that you would be willing to part with?
            I don't care if the clock works because Id have it converted to quartze anyway,the same as I did on my 54 Commander coupe.

Comment

Working...
            X