This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump specs

I have a new water pump for the Lark's 289. I just checked the clearance for the impeller to housing flange and am getting .42.
    From the top of the impeller to the gasket area of flange is .861.
    The Stude service letter says the specs are .934--.938. Looks like I need to press the shaft on thru the impeller so that it will have another .073+ clearance.
    I'm assuming this moves the impeller closer to the pump housing for better suction or movement of water thru the system ?

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

ISTM I remember someone telling me that some of the rebuilt pumps were coming through with the impeller pressed on too far. In fact I saw a well known vendor "adjusting" the fit of a water pump with a gear puller last swap meet I attended.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

There is a seal behind the impeller and if you move it out, you see that hole in the casting? Some green stuff will suddenly appear.

Comment

I checked 4 pumps I had on hand, one used one and 3 new ones. All of them were out of spec. I took the old one and pressed the shaft out of the impeller and housing just to see exactly how it was put together. Re-pressed it all back in to proper specs.

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        61 Cursed Purple Hawk
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 GT
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

I have a new water pump for the Lark's 289. I just checked the clearance for the impeller to housing flange and am getting .42.
          From the top of the impeller to the gasket area of flange is .861.
          The Stude service letter says the specs are .934--.938. Looks like I need to press the shaft on thru the impeller so that it will have another .073+ clearance.
          I'm assuming this moves the impeller closer to the pump housing for better suction or movement of water thru the system ?
          Well, back to the drawing board. I am looking at both the manual and the Studebaker service letter from July 10, 1962. When I get the impeller to the .934 spec (top of impeller back to pump housing flange surface) the other side of impeller spec (bottom of impeller to flange lip) goes to .125 and the manual says this should not exceed .90 ---- I would think the .934 distance is more important as this also effects the distance of the impeller to the water pump housing thus affecting "water suction" ???
          Any insight ?

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 GT
          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Water pump comparison pictures.
            New Link
            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

What is the expected problem for us folks that have out of spec water pumps?

Comment

I guess they would not pump as well,now I'll worry about it, while before, I would just slap a new one on.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 Avanti
                54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

What is the expected problem for us folks that have out of spec water pumps?
                  People experienced cooling problems (overheating) with their cars with the defective/out of spec. V8 water pumps. I assume that this is due to an inadequate flow of coolant.

Gary L.
                  1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                  1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My friend and SDC member Jerry, started running warm (fla) after installing a new pump, didn't think it could be the pump.
                    All the one's I checked were around .80 out. That moves the impeller up away from the water pump housing, decreasing suction and flow of water thru the system. There is a reason Studebaker put out the different specs in the 1962 Service letter. Glad I read the info and got a copy of the service letter.

53commander HDTP
                    53 Champion HDTP
                    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    64 GT
                    64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Will any of you be at the National this year? I have a new H20 pump and would like it measured as to in or out of specs. It is my spare pump.

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for your input because I put on a rebuilt pump today . After reading the warning the other day I checked the pump & it was out of specs so I put it in specs before I installed it. Has anyone tried to contact the rebuiders? I talked to the auto parts place were I bought it and said if I could get I copy of the manuel page they would contact the rebuild shop

Comment

Working...
                        X