Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunion grease problem - Tip needed...

My car is a '64 Lark Type. As you know, there are fore and aft grease fittings on the upper and lower trunions. For some reason, I can't force grease into the lower aft fittings on either side of the car. The uppers take grease fine, as do the lower forward fittings. I've removed the aft fittings and checked them for functionality. (They aren't plugged and pass grease fine.) With the fittings removed, I can see evidence of new grease in the holes they thread into. I've even replaced the fittings to no avail. I'm using a manual pump grease gun that can muster considerable pressure, but it simply pumps up to it's maximum and refuses to move further. (And, pressure is obviously built up making the hose difficult to disconnect.) I've tried forcing grease in at various suspension deflections, and with an assistant working the suspension by moving the car up and down. Nothing has worked. I've not applied heat as there's way too much (flammable) grease accumulation nearby. The strange thing to me is that it's the same fitting on both sides of the car, which seems a bit more than coincidental. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
    Working in Spokane, WA

I encountered the exact same problem, but on the drivers side only. I took a big socket and backed off the 'cap' a little. This allowed some of the soft synthetic grease I was using to be forced in. Since then I have been able to get grease into the trunion, but I am also planning on replacing/rebuilding those suspension parts in the near future. I would also, if I were you, consider cleaning things up a bit, a rag, mineral spirits, carb cleaner or whatever and then a bath with water before warming with a torch. That should do it. Don't forget to check and make sure the cap is staying tight if you go that route.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks, Tim. I will give it a try.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
      Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

If the cap you are referring to is actually called the bushing in the manuals, you should note that when you put grease in there, there is really no place for it to go! The inside of that cap or bushing is PLUGGED by the thing it screws onto. I've been trying to figure this out for a while and the only sense I can see in how it is designed is that Studebaker wanted grease to actually cushion the inner threads where these two pieces fit together. The only other reason I can see for putting any grease in there at all is is to keep the two parts from siezing together, which would make alignment and caster and camber adjustment difficult or impossible.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to be corrected. I've seen these parts up close on a bench and I understand how they go together. Forcing grease in there is like forcing grease into pipe cap screwed onto a solid rod.

Comments?
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

pretty much, yeah. but the threads should be "loose" enough that grease can be forced through them, and the threads do work with the suspension, so they ought to be lubricated - otherwise they will wear out and then you won't have any camber control - the kingpin will be free to slide fore and aft, which isn't particularly good for handling or directional stability.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X