PDA

View Full Version : do you gots any?

Mr. Dan0
04-07-2006, 08:31 AM
where can I buy the complete wire harness?

I started to replace wire for wire.............It's a challenge but do-able.

also >>

what is that switch that is on the acc. pedal (gas) it's located on the fire wall. w/2 wires and a switch ........what the heck does that do?

Yeah go ahead and say it...................>>

Gezzzzz Dan's back with stupid questions again.........[:0]

N8N
04-07-2006, 09:02 AM
1) SASCO has some wiring harnesses NOS, as do other vendors. If they can't help you out try Rhode Island Wire or there is one Studebaker vendor that repro's some and the name is escaping me right now.

2) probably for the OD or anti-creep depending on whether your car is a stick or automatic.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Scott
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
It's a specialty of Studebakers West in California.

CHAMP
04-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Part number 515667 switch,od accelerator kickown. Champ:)

CHAMP
04-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry I misspelled Kickdown! Champ:)

55pres
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
This topic brings up a question I had. Has anyone used the universal wiring harness painless offers??

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
Love of Studebakers?: High

N8N
04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Studebakers West, that's what I was thinking of.

Stephen Allen's or SI might have a NOS harness if SASCO doesn't.

RI Wire can make a new one if nobody has NOS.

If originality is not a concern I don't see an issue going with the Painless harness, just be advised it will be more work.

On a 6V car I actually prefer to use the original style harness if converting to 12V as the wires will be heavier. I would consider adding some fusible links if originality is not a big deal however. (which reminds me... I keep talking about it, but I keep not doing it...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
That switch is probably an anti-creep switch if it's only got 2 wires going to it. Is your car equipped with an automatic tranny?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Mr. Dan0
04-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I believe it's a 3 in DA tree!!:D

Since I did convert to 12 Wouldn't it be just as well to just replace all the wire myself or is it a bit better to get it already done. and just slap it on?

Either way I believe I'm up for a bit of work ahead!!

SO what does that switch do?

anybody care to explain! >> in great detail << [:p]

mbstude
04-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I've never heard of a "anti-creep switch". What is it?

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter
http://www.stude.com/phpgallery/albums/userpics/avatat.jpghttp://www.stude.com/phpgallery/albums/userpics/0001matthew%7E0.jpg
63 Daytona HT (project)
51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

55pres
04-07-2006, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I've never heard of a "anti-creep switch". What is it?

I believe it works like an eletric hill-holder only for an auto, it kept the car from rolling on a up/down grade.

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
Love of Studebakers?: High

Eman
04-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Just FYI Stephen Allen's sells some of the old, cloth-wrapped harnesses as well as the new, vinyl harnesses.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog

Mr. Dan0
04-08-2006, 06:57 AM
So if mine is not an automatic Why do I need it and why is it there?

I don't think I would like to replace the old wire w/cloth again
and I think I may need heavier wire.

ROADRACELARK
04-08-2006, 08:37 AM
As Nate said in his first reply, if it has overdrive, it's gona' be the "kidc-down" switch.
Dan Miller

Mr. Dan0
04-08-2006, 02:07 PM
K .........

rockne10
04-08-2006, 09:25 PM
If your car is a standard shift, and there is a switch attached to the accelerator bellcrank, it probably is-or was-an overdrive transmission. Is there a push-pull lever under the dash with an OD on it?
When overdrive is engaged and you are cruising along at a moderate 70 or 80 mph and decide to pass someone, you tromp on the pedal. This action trips the switch on the bellcrank, momentarily cutting the circuit to the solenoid on the transmission, dropping it into third gear. This is a good thing.
Once you fly by those content to cruise at less than Studebaker standards, you release the pressure on the accelerator, restoring the current to the solenoid and allowing the overdrive governor to permit the slide back into the economical cruising attitude we all so richly deserve.
If your car is equipped with an automatic transmission, the switch is connected to a solenoid in the transmission. It won't hold you on a serious incline but will keep the car from moving forward or backward on moderate slopes until the slightest touch of the accelerator pedal releases the anticreep. When you get to a stop, you take your foot off the brake and the car will sit there until a feather touches the accelerator. Ya gotta love it!!:D
Like Mister Ed said, "If you can find a better car, I haven't driven it."

studebakerkid
04-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Am I the only one that rewires them myself?..All you need is a good wireing diagram and a few spools of different colors and gagues. I like to wire mine on the heavy side that way if you want to install some extras later the wireing will handle it. For battery cables bigger is always better I use O gague.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
54 Champion Wagon

Mr. Dan0
04-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Thats how Im doing mine Kid.....
Cant see the madness in buying a new harness that somebody else put together. and to put cloth wire back on is only for that orginal look.

It was a thought I had to buy; but I think it may be easier to just do my wire for wire mode.

Commander51
04-10-2006, 05:37 AM
DanO, I don't recall what model car you've got, but if your model has a good wiring diagram available (others on this forum can confirm once we know what you've got) then building a harness yourself shouldn't be that big a deal. I wish I'd done that with my '51-- the 'official' diagram didn't match the car, and the StudeWest harness matched neither. I wound up tearing the store bought harness apart and rebuilding it anyway.

If you build your own, toss in additional wiring for grounds; I added terminal blocks in the trunk, under the dash and in the engine bay and tied them in to the battery directly. Gremlins gone.

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

CHAMP
04-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Dano,I think maybe everybody don't know you have a 49 Champion 4DR.Sed. and I think if you look at that switch a little closer you will find it has 4 wires not 2 as shown on page 174 figure 342 of your service manual. Champ[8D]

Mr. Dan0
04-11-2006, 06:10 AM
damn-it.......... I need to send that dude $$ for that service manual

I gots to get on that!!!!!![xx(]

Yeah gonna do all the wiring myself,

Battery is gonna be in the trunk and I am gonna start my wiring from there.

I robbed a -breaker- fuse box from a different car. and that will be in the trunk as well.

All this contraption will be in place of the spare tire hole .

Commander51>
It is a 4door 1949 champion...

Tons of restoration ^^^modification's!!
Im going INSANE!!!!![:0]

CHAMP
04-11-2006, 07:03 AM
DANO, Your car will defintley stand-out and should draw a croud!!!!! About going insane, welcome to the club? Still anxious to see more pics. BTW I like the tailights! Champ[8D]