04-05-2006, 03:34 AM
nuff said!:D:D:D:D

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Transtar56
04-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Have you tried it on E-Bay?
Seems to work for me,though I must admit Ill be doing a lot less of it because of all the hassels.
Heres an example.
I somehow aquired a shop manual for T-Cabs,which Ive never owned and don't plan to.
So I put it on E-Bay,and it sold for the princely sum of 5.00.
Two weeks go by and I never heard from the guy after Id sent him the shipping quote the post office gave me.
So last night I e-mailed him to see if he'd sent the money,and he replied that he had a "problem" with paying twice as much for the shipping as the book cost.
I pointed out that I don't have any control over shipping charges,neither do I charge one nickle for the handling,packaging,and running back and forth to the PO,plus the fact hes getting a like new 40 dollar book for 15 bucks(5+shipping).
Ill probaly never hear from him again and just re-list the damn book,because sure as shooting if I leave him a bad feedback he'll give me a retalitory bad one ,so it just isn't worth it.
Ive had to many problems of this nature lately,and wonder if Ill even continue to use E-Bay.

gaboy
04-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Totally agree with the hassles & problems with E Bay!!

I sold some wheels to an idiot in Calif.& then after winning them he filed a complaint that he did not know shipping was so much from the East to the west, only paid for the wheel itself, not shipping & E Bay charged me back the entire amount! Try to get to someone that can get it straightened out? Like dealing with the goverment, cannot talk to a real person, send e mails-what a pain!!
Louis

2R5
04-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Sounds familiar [}:)] anymore i only buy on ebay and forget about the hassles of selling

tstclr
04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
You guys should try being an Ebay seller in a country other than the U.S.! Since Sept 11 mail to the U.S can take up to 4 weeks to arrive! It's hit and miss so I suspect U.S Customs does spot checks. I'd say 90 percent of what I sell arrives in 4 days and the other 10% takes 4 weeks! I get lots of snotty emails from U.S buyers wondering where their package is. So far my feedback in in tact although I have some interesting feedbacks like "Canada Post is slow!". I offer a full refund if they don't get their item after a month. So far I haven't had to do this. In fact I can ship an item to Australia and it will arrive faster than a package to Michigan! BTW-all I sell is automotive liturature that basically fits in an 8X11 envelope.
Despite all this, I'll still continue to sell on ebay.
It beats setting up a table at a swap meet and coming home with 90% of it!
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Studedude1961
04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I sell alot on eBay but no longer sell internationally because of the constant bitching about shipping charges and the length of time it took to get their purchases. Buyers from Germany and France (surprise!) were the loudest offenders. I grew weary of explaining that if I had the power to set charges and determine shipping travel time I sure wouldn't be spending my time selling stuff on eBay!

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Roscomacaw
04-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I sell stuff sporadically on ebay. I guess, when the mood strikes me. When I started in '98, just about anything you'd put up would sell - sometimes at unbeliveable prices! I'd bought a NOS Rambler rear view mirror at a local swap meet for $5 bucks. It sold on ebay for $270+ !!! I had a used Marlin hood ornament - it went for $200+ !! Stude stuff was also selling for outrageous prices.[:p] Then, eventually, the novelty wore off. Now I see NOS stuff selling for less than I'd ask for it if it were mine.:(

Of course, I buy stuff too. And what irks me most is that some sellers don't even bother to investigate the various shipping options - some of which are significantly cheaper than others.
Here's a good case and point - involves some manuals too.

I've been looking for the '57 supplement to the '56 Shop Manual. One seller had a number of orignal (not reprint) manuals on ebay. One offering IS a '57 supplement PLUS the full '56 manual. I won the auction for about 18 bucks or so. Now, the seller gets their final tally off to me after the sale. And, sure enough, the shipping was a couple bucks more than the item cost! I write and ask the seller (a gal) if she'd ever heard of the Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes ($8.10 is all you pay for whatever you can stuff into a Flat Rate box - boxes the post office provides for FREE!). She didn't have a clue. I also asked her if she'd ever heard about the "Media Mail" rate that lets you ship printed stuff or video tapes at a really significantly lower price than if it went by regular weight rates. Again - not a clue. But - she does promise to look into it.
After a week or so, she emails me that she'd found a way to ship the books for less - using the Flat Rate boxes. OK, I'm a happy boy. I'm gonna save about 12 bucks off what she'd first quoted me. I send her payment and basically forget about it.
3 or 4 weeks later, the package shows up in my mailbox. She sent it via Media Mail and it had cost her $3 and change. This after I'd paid for the Flat Rate postage of $8.10! So she basically pocketed an extra 4 bucks +. No note explaining why, no offer of a refund, nada! THAT pisses me off!:(

But I still buy & sell on ebay. I DO contact a seller about shipping costs BEFORE I bid on something IF they don't have shipping rates spelled out in the auction. And I HAVE had to remind more than one of what they'd said about shipping in their auction offering.[}:)]

I recently sold some rare mouldings for 55 - 56 C-body cars on ebay. I wrote distinctly about how the winner would expect to pay a significant amount for shipping because I'd be building a wooden "crutch" to insure these delicate mouldings got to their destination intact. And I DID construct a totally enclosed, triangular-shaped box out of pine & plywood.:)
A rather prominent person of the Stude world ended up winning these. Communication with him was shakey at best. But he finally did pay what was needed for the auction and shipping.
NOW! I'd used the USPS web site to calculate shipping costs based on weight, priority mail rates and destination. The fly in the ointment was the deceptive size of the item. Even tho it's biggest dimension was 33", the way they measured it at the Post Office, it was gonna cost over a hundred bucks to ship it as opposed to the $20 bucks I'd charged the buyer!!![:0]
I ended up at FedEx's desk and sent the thing for $46 bucks. I sent the buyer a note with a copy of the invoice and asked if he'd be kind enough to make up the difference. I've never heard back from him and it's been several months now. The extra costs of shipping took a significant bite out of what I made on these pieces. But I won't let the occassional goof keep me from selling.
My rule of thumb is: I don't sell much of anything that won't easily fit in a carboard box (of manageable size) UNLESS the return I can expect is worth the hassle of shipping it (or I stipulate that the item is for pick up only). It's one thing to have some item go unexpectedly nuts with the bidding. It's another when you realiz

Transtar56
04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
tstclr,I am from Canada,and I agree that it sure complicates things.
The Canadian Postal Service keeps raising thier rates,Fed-ex service sucks big time up here,and I hate having US people blaming me because the shipping rate is to high or it takes to long.
Most folk are pretty resonable,like the nice old guy I just sold my truck too,but there are all kinds of bad ones out there.
I find Studebaker people as a whole are the easiest to deal with,not sure why this is so,but its true.
I found a shipper for the truck for him,and since Ive used them a lot,I think I can whittle down thier fee even more provided the buyer is willing to wait untill they already have a truck going in his direction with room(He is).I know when I buy a car on E-Bay I like to get it as soon as possible,but if I can save hundres by waiting a couple of weeks than its well worth it.

studeclunker
04-05-2006, 01:51 PM
My! AOL is running slow today.
Being that I am an ignoramus on shipping etc... Selling on eBAY is somewhat daunting. I have considered it, especially the stupid high prices I see on the net.
I would be happy just to be relieved of the thing. Infact I have entirely too many cars around here. They are handy for parts though....[:I]
It's a pity the thing is sitting here rusting away. Someone could possibly doooo something with the poor frumpy thing.;)

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

Swifster
04-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I've had a couple issues with shipping. I was pairing down my Mopar stuff and sold a dual snorkle air cleaner for $75 (cheap!). I mentioned shipping would be actual cost (and it was). It came out to around $20 and a received a comment about trying to make a living off of shipping.

I explained that the package was oversized, and no real light. (I took a picture of the box next to my car and e-mailed it to him). He conceeded that the package was definitely larger than he expected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

larkvi
04-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I've considered puting my car up for sale on eBay since no one in the local chapter wants to buy it (and e-mails I've sent to other SDC'ers outside the local chapter, including regular board participants here, have gone unanswered). I just fear having to pay seller's fees on a car that won't likely sell.

studebakerkid
04-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Transtar

To heck with that.....I have a couple T cabs and could always use a manual. If you want I can take that off your hands pronto.

You can reach me though my email on this forum or the other one that we both post to. I hav eno problem with 15 bucks including shipping.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
54 Champion Wagon

studebakerkid
04-07-2006, 03:51 AM
I spent a couple hours looking at the Studebaler stuff on Ebay the other night. 90% of it was junk so I see very little reason to get anything from Ebay. A better alternative is using on of the Studebaker Chat groups.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
54 Champion Wagon

bams50
04-07-2006, 05:37 AM
I buy a lot on ebay... although some sellers are flaky...[:p]

I'm currently watching a 63 Wagonaire in Whittier CA (I'm in central NY)... love the car; but seller says he "only wants to sell locally"... won't help a shipper load the car, etc.:(

I'd love to bid, but don't know anyone near seller who could oversee loading of the car; or pick it up and hold it for my shipper for a few... a shame too, because I'd love the car, and the price is cheap... oh well...

As for selling, I've got a TON of stuff that might sell; but can't see how it's worth listing, assembling the ad, dealing with sellers, waiting to get paid, packing and shipping, etc. etc. etc... have sold a few cars, but that's it...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Commander51
04-07-2006, 07:02 AM
I've been a buyer-only on eBay for nearly 10 years, but haven't touched a thing in about 6 months. eBay has become such a hassle, even for buyers, that I won't put a bid in on something unless it is unavailable elsewhere-- and only then if it has NO moving parts or is at all breakable.
I suspect eBay continues to function because of a continual stream of newbie buyers... one or two bad experiences will kill off veterans sooner or later. I give eBay another 5 years before it collapses under its own weight (that or eventual government taxation/regulation...)

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

54-61-62
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I used to sell alot of stuff on ebay - I seemed to get a high price for whatever I put up.

However in the last 3 months, I have found it hard to get even a reasonable price, and alot higher percentage of my bidders are deadbeat.

I'm sick and tired of selling on ebay, especially now that they have inflated their sellers charges!

I won't buy much on ebau after getting burned so much.
Kent

Studedude1961
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure eBay will die under its own weight, but I will predict that "FEEbay" will continue to lose customers, buyers and sellers alike, because everyone from the Post Office to packaging suppliers are making money off eBay except the seller.

"A job without a profit is just a donation with a risk."

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Scott
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I know Yahoo has an auction type site, but I don't really see any alternatives online to eBay. Are there others? I can't believe eBay doesn't have any real competition yet.

Can you imagine an SDC run auction site for Studebker stuff? Yowzaa!
No, wait, maybe that's a great idea. No, maybe not.

JDP
04-07-2006, 04:25 PM
SDC auction site ? No thanks, SDC members are too frugal to pay good money for rare cars or parts. I've offered cars to SDC members that passed on them, only to have them sell on ebay for 29-54% more then I was asking.:) Same with flea markets, I quit lugging the good stuff to flea markets only to see members bitch about the prices.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.

Scott
04-07-2006, 06:29 PM
JDP, maybe that's because we know well what this stuff is really worth![:0]

Transtar56
04-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Ill give the jerk who "bought" the T-Cab manual another week and another E-mail,if he dosent come through its yours Kevin.
I also have a chassis parts catalog(I bought a whole bunch of Stude books at an auction once,that must be where these came from)

Transtar56
04-08-2006, 03:05 AM
I mean't Studebaker kid.

KevinSheen
04-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks Robert. E-mail me when you're ready. I'm really going to need it now. I inadvertantly and unsuccessfully went off-roading in the Stoogebaker. :( I'm fine, the dog's a bit shook up and the truck will need some work now. Details are on the truck talk page. Thanks in advance for the condolences, but really, I'm okay.[B)] Kevin with a broken Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

JDP
04-08-2006, 12:30 PM
The stuff is "worth" what the buyers will pay. On ebay, you have more lookers, many of them think Studebaker cars and parts are a bargains. More then one of my winning bidders was thrilled with what would be a high price to many in SDC.

We just had a discussion on the Studebaker NG about the 60 convert I just sold for a decent price. Try ebay for a 60's brand X convert in excellent shape sometime.I think the general public is starting to buy Studebakers because they get a lot more car for there money.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.

Scott
04-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Oh, that's true about more car for the money. I agree there.

Every so often I look at Ramblers on eBay and I'm almost shocked at how little these cars (running, even) can go for. Talk about cheap wheels! I'm not crazy about most of them, though. The only thing I'd get very excited about would be a 1958 or 1959 four door hardtop. Thousands were built, but based on the research I've done, I think there are fewer than 10 to 15 in existence (V8 or 6). I only know of three for sure. It's much easier, even, to find a Kaiser Darrin for sale than one of those 4 door hardtops. My dad had a 1958 Ambassador 4 door hardtop - all black - with the door handles taken off and the holes filled in - when I was a kid. It was a very, very solid car, and very fast.

Roscomacaw
04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Well, I haven't seen where Dick's mentioned this car here, but I will since we're talking "Rammers" - which I've owned quite a few of. I happen to LIKE this rare hardtop model. I'm betting it ends up around $6K or so.;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-Typhoon-2-Door-Hardtop-Classic-770-1964-AMC-Rambler-Typhoon-Pristine-Original_W0QQitemZ4628382079QQcategoryZ5357QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heh - I just noticed it has 3-ear spinners on one side and 2-eared on the other. Either one would be correct. I had a pair of NOS 3-ears in my possesion a few years back. They sold for a couple hundred bucks if I recall right.[:p]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

jcarmichael
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
The 1957 Rambler Rebel was a 4 door with a 327 engine(not Chevy) that was very fast. It may have actually been the first "sports sedan".

1961 Lark

studegary
04-08-2006, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Well, I haven't seen where Dick's mentioned this car here, but I will since we're talking "Rammers" - which I've owned quite a few of. I happen to LIKE this rare hardtop model. I'm betting it ends up around $6K or so.;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-Typhoon-2-Door-Hardtop-Classic-
770-1964-AMC-Rambler-Typhoon-Pristine-Original_W0QQitemZ4628382079QQcategory
Z5357QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heh - I just noticed it has 3-ear spinners on one side and 2-eared on the other. Either one would be correct. I had a pair of NOS 3-ears in my possesion a few years back. They sold for a couple hundred bucks if I recall right.[:p]

It's a nice car. My FIL bought a 1964 Ambassador hardtop new. My father and I each bought new 1964 Fury hardtops that stood up much better.

The first thing that I noticed about the car that Dick is selling is that it is missing its right side windshield wiper.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

studeclunker
04-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I started this thread as a joke. It seems to have taken on a life of it's own.
This is the third time I've tried this response this afternoon. AOL keeps dropping me. Looks like I may be disapearing for a while again till I can find a carrier who wants to do business.:(

The first car I ever owned was a '59 Rambler custom.:D It had a six in it and was so slow off the line that people used to honk at the intersections a lot. One would step on the accelerator pedal (usually all the way to the floor) and the car would say "Oh! so sorry, were you talking to me?"
It was a comfortable car with a split bench reclining front seat. I used to go camping in it a lot. It pulled my two horse trailer all over the place. Up hill and down with the patience of a snail.

I really liked the car. I would have loved it if it were'nt so embarrasing.;)

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

Scott
04-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Right now my dad has a red 1959 Rambler Custom sitting in his yard. It runs and drives, and the interior is really pretty good. It only has a 6 cylinder engine, but I think it has standard transmission. It's not a hardtop, but he bought it anyway for nostalgic reasons. I was actually very surprised because he ALWAYS looks down his nose at four door sedans and cars with 6 cylinder engines. He has too many cars, so it mostly just sits.

We better be careful or Mr. Shaw's going to pull the plug on this thread for non-Studebaker content!!

larkvi
04-09-2006, 12:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

SDC auction site ? No thanks, SDC members are too frugal to pay good money for rare cars or parts. I've offered cars to SDC members that passed on them, only to have them sell on ebay for 29-54% more then I was asking.:) Same with flea markets, I quit lugging the good stuff to flea markets only to see members bitch about the prices.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe I should try selling my car on ebay. BTW JDP, I sent you an e-mail via this board - did you get it?

jimmijim8
04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
E-bay sometimes affords the opportunity for some Stude folks not able to attend swap meets or not in close proximity to parts, or those not in the know about the availability of parts the opportunity to purchase. Too bad e-bay has to make so much money for their service. I do however enjoy looking at all the good and bad stuff available for Studes. Its at least a little bit educational when it comes to knowing a bit more about Studes. I have had good luck in purchasing parts from members of the news groups through queries on said sites. I don't mind making a buck on parts,and don't mind spending a buck or few. It is true that some people will try to sell absolute almost worthless stuff hoping someone out there will bite. A seller on e-bay has for sale a 64 Hawk complete empty dashboard. Last time I checked the opening bid was .99 cents. Shipping fee was $169.00. I e-mailed him and asked if there was a mistake in his shipping quote. He respectfully replied back that there was no mistake. Sounds like a deal to me. They dont make em any more or do they? I think there is a fiberglass parts manufacturer out there making one of the hawk dashes. jimmijim8

Studedude
04-09-2006, 08:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

E-bay sometimes affords the opportunity for some Stude folks not able to attend swap meets or not in close proximity to parts, or those not in the know about the availability of parts the opportunity to purchase. Too bad e-bay has to make so much money for their service.I guess that's a typical buyer's perspective. From a seller's perspective, I don't think ebay's prices are out of line. I can list a car, and spend $80 if it sells, $40 if it doesn't. I can't haul or drive a car to a swamp meet and back for that, plus vendor space, meals, motel room, etc. If you think those expenses aren't included in the price of what you pay for at a swap meet, you should think again. ;)

Like any business, ebay has overhead... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to cover that! In the end, I hope they make a reasonable profit, so that they can continue to offer the service... for both buyers and sellers.

http://www.davesplaceinc.com/sdcforum/logo.jpg
www.davesplaceinc.com

imported_n/a
04-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I'd heard somewhere that Google was planning to implement an online auction service similar to EBAy, sometime in the near future. I can't remember who or where I learned this, so I can't substantiate it. Competition may make them try harder to please. I've purchased some parts for the Packebaker that are very scarce. I've paid some high prices at times, and got a great deal another, so it evens out(almost). I do not hesitate to contact a seller if I think that there could be any complications or misunderstandings. Only got burned once by someone selling the pages out of an old paint book. Sent the money TWICE and never got my item--and they gave ME bad feedback!

Dick Steinkamp
04-09-2006, 09:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-Typhoon-2-Door-Hardtop-Classic-770-1964-AMC-Rambler-Typhoon-Pristine-Original_W0QQitemZ4628382079QQcategoryZ5357QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm listing that car for my buddy Scott Hall. Some of you may know that Scott built and owns a beautiful custom '55 Speedster. Stock body, except for the '53 nose, blown 289, close ratio T-10, Hawk buckets done in black Speedster pattern leather (by Phantom), and many, many other subtle touches.

http://static.flickr.com/39/100269262_219e36cb85.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/24/100269263_6a2684a549.jpg

The Typhoon is as nice in person as it is in the pictures. I always thought Studebaker Larks were undervalued. They are '57 Chevy's compared to Ramblers [8D].

Gary...I took all the pictures in the listing and in the link to about 100 more pictures of the car and didn't notice the missing wiper [:0]. I asked Scott about it. The car has stock vacuum wipers. Even with a rebuilt wiper motor and a rebuilt fuel pump (which helps supply vacuum to the wipers), they are dangerously slow when accelerating. Removing the right wiper allows the remaining wiper to maintain some speed. No wonder we don't see vacuum wipers anymore!!

Just returned from the Portland (OR) swap meet. A great 4 days! Pictures to follow.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Studedude1961
04-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Ramblers are heartbreakingly cheap and anything newer than about 1963 are extremely hard to get rid of at a decent price, even on eBay. They make terrific drivers because they are worth so little (except to the owner) that a little parking lot ding or rock chip to the windshield won't prompt heart failure. I had a nice 1964 Classic 660 for a few years and enjoyed it very much as a daily driver. It got alot of attention for the $1,500 I paid for it. We had a very active AMC dealer where I grew up and remember well the 1958-1960 hardtops and wagons. I really remember the little 1958-1960 Americans. A friend's parents bought alot of these in the late 1960s as everyday transportation for their teenage kids. When they wore out, they parked them along one side of their house inside a fenced area for parts. Alas, they are no longer there. Studebaker sedans are worth a bit more but still affordable enough to have fun with and not overly worry about the other guy when going to the supermarket. Try that with a Hawk or Avanti! We'll all look back in the not so distant future and lament what all we could have bought for $4K "back in 2006."

Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

tstclr
04-13-2006, 04:33 PM
The latest issue of Car Craft has an article called "Build a $3500 Street Machine". The feature car of the article? A 67 Rambler American 2 door sedan. You could probably do the same thing with a Lark- I hope by doing most of the work myself I'll come in around 5-6k when I'm done with mine. I'm currently at $2135CDN including the cost of the car. My biggest expense will the the drivetrain.
Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan