This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Application Question

I have a Dana 44 TT differential (3.54 gear) with tapered smooth axles and woodruff keys between the flanged axle ends and the axle threads. The Model tag is 45C and there is a casting number (18418) on the top right gusset. Does anyone have an idea of possible applications for this rear. I am looking to get rid of it but I am wondering if I should rebuild it first or sell it as is. I thought it might be from a Commander or Studebaker. I don't think it is from a truck but I could be wrong. I am more of a 60's Ford guy but I came into possesion of this diff and a couple of GM manual tranmissions. All help would be appreciated.

Depending on where you're at,someone will be looking for that axle.
    As far as price,I just paid a 'Stude vendor $50 for a complete rear with 3:31 ratio-[ seals,bearings,etc condition unknown-as-is]
    They're not worth a lot.shipping could cost more than the part,so let us know where you are at.

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I'm located in the armpit of the nation; NJ

Comment

guess that puts me in the left boob??? BTW,Jeep people are rumored to know lots about dana 44's. That TT unit is desireable to some folks,but theres a breakoff point around 3:70 or so for the size of the carrier.[like 3:70 or lower takes a different carrier than 3:73 or higher gear-

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        60Lark
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I would think that a 3.54 with a twin trac (that's what the "45C" tag means) would be worth at least $100 assuming it isn't completely thrashed and unusable. That's a good compromise gear for a "warm" car or would make an awesome "freeway flyer" gear with an OD. (not that I would condone breaking posted speed limits at any time...)

heck, if he's in *southern* Jersey I might just have to run up and take a look... (got a 3.31:1 open under my '55, going back and forth as to whether to swap it with my Daytona's 3.31:1 TT or not. One legger burnouts aren't cool, but then I'd have to buy the original rear back from JP and/or put the one from the '55 under the '62, which has many more miles than either of the other two units in question...)

I don't know if anyone but Studebaker used a 44 with tapered axles; I know AMC used tapered axles but I don't know if they ever used a 44 or not. If the OP could post a digital photo of the unit in question we might be able to answer more definitely, I think the flange/bolt pattern for the brake backing plates is unique to Stude...

To the OP: if you decide to clean this up yourself prior to sale, make sure you don't lose the thrust blocks... there's some old threads on this either here or on alt.autos.studebaker about these if you don't know what I'm talking about.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X