This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, it's just transportation

Took my daily 91 S-10 in for inspection and it needed cab supports welded, rockers, door bottoms, etc. So I'm driving the 51 Coupe for a while.

Well, now the S-10 gets new fenders, rockers, doors, floor pans, cab supports, bedsides, grill, bumper, gas tank and sending unit, brake lines, tailgate and, while we're at it, I might as well change the color and put in new seats and AC.

So, the 51 Commander is going back and forth to work, grocery store, post office, etc for two weeks now. Can't pull in anywhere without spending a half hour answering questions, accepting compliments, and waiting for the attention to come from the single ladies.[8)]

I wouldn't complain. I bet you don't get that much attention driving the S-10!.
    Dan

Comment

Hmmmm, I guess I don't get this. Why would you sink any money into a rotted out S-10 instead of just getting a replacement. And using a Stude as an analogy doesn't work in this case...[?][?][?]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

800 buck for all that work & parts????

Tell me the part of the country you live in (USA??) & it will be worth it to have a car shipped there for repairs at that savings!

I had a right door, rocker panel straightened , clear coated & colored (no new parts) on my 2001 F 150 & it cost me a grand!
        LOUIS

Comment

Monthly payments! I'm running a Teck IV Iron Duke with a 5-speed standard that gives me 36 mpg in a utilitarian vehicle whose engine cannot be broken. For $800 I end up with a new 91 S-10 and can put the money I save into restoring the 53 Coupe and maintaining the 51 Coupe and 33 Rockne.
          Oh, yeah, I'm not paying list on the S-10 parts or labor.
          And, when the weather gets nicer, Ill drive the Rockne to work.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Aftermarket parts at cost and personal labor. It's really the tools and experience that become expensive.
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't know if my (former) 1991 S-10's four-cylinder was the Tech IV or not, but its stock steel tube exhaust headers cracked twice before I wised up and found a cast iron aftermarket replacement header. Other than that problem, and the power steering pump falling apart while the truck was running, it was reliable

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

My son has a S-10 with 259k's on it.........[:0]

Still running and still looks good

great gas millage , which is important 2 me b/c he is in his 3rd year of college!!

Comment

I got the S-10 because the former owner had a "check engine" light that he couldn't figure out.
                  Turns out it was the cracked exhaust manifold, a common problem, and those things aren't cheap. We pulled off the heat shield and welded the manifold. Haven't had a problem since.
                  And, shortly after, I came upon an intact manifold for free and it travels with me behind the seat; certain insurance it will never be needed.

The pleasant consequence of this S-10 "restoration" is I must, of necessity, drive the 51 Coupe.

There is no better way to draw attention to Studebakers-and SDC-than to put them on the road, rather than let them sit in the garage and take them out only for special occasions. Many owners have no other vehicle, so, keep them operable, keep them visible.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X