PDA

View Full Version : Did you know? - something arcane

Scott
03-29-2006, 09:19 AM
I was going through some of my old Studebaker papers and happened to look closely at one letter from Clem Studebaker Jr. from 1907. The second page of the letter uses a paper with a watermark that says Studebaker 1852 in script. I don't know how many big corporations have their own paper made today, but I can't imagine it's very many. I find it interesting that Studebaker would actually contract with a paper maker for special paper. A picture can be seen at http://different-by-design.blogspot.com/ .

DEEPNHOCK
03-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Very interesting reading. Thanks for posting the link.
As far as the paper goes, it may not be too far a stretch to see Studebaker have their own paper made. Think of the amount of wood consumed by Studebaker all the way into the 1920's. They must have had many wood vendors supplying them, and paper production went hand in hand with lumber production. Either way, it is an astute observation.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I was going through some of my old Studebaker papers and happened to look closely at one letter from Clem Studebaker Jr. from 1907. The second page of the letter uses a paper with a watermark that says Studebaker 1852 in script. I don't know how many big corporations have their own paper made today, but I can't imagine it's very many. I find it interesting that Studebaker would actually contract with a paper maker for special paper. A picture can be seen at http://different-by-design.blogspot.com/ .

Roscomacaw
03-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Interesting stuff. You can tell the typewriters of the day didn't afford "spell-check" or "linguistic oversight". "Can Fransisco" sounds like a pre-packaged food featuring heat 'n eat fare for monks who are too busy to cook.[:o)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studegary
03-29-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think that watermarked paper was that unusual for large corporations. For example, I worked for IBM from 1964 to 1990 and I remember them using letter size paper with a watermark of the IBM logo.

Scott
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
I can see IBM doing it, but IBM is huge. I figured only the largest or most public image conscious firms would bother with such a thing.

Roscomacaw
03-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Studebaker was no small player at the dawn of the 20th century. They'd been the premier wagon-maker by the 1870s. They could afford their own paper! ;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

hank63
03-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Well, GM is no small player today, but from what comes through the media one could be excused for thinking GM can't afford their own paper any longer. Bet they're looking for savings any which way (except for on executive salaries, of course).
/H

raprice
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Scott,
That's a wonderful treasure trove that you have. Those letters are priceless and I appreciate your sharing them with us. Interesting reading to say the least.
Thanks again.
Rog

Bunzard
03-30-2006, 10:50 PM
I believe this was an early day security measure, if it does not have our watermark it is not official company communication, somewhat like an embossed letterhead. Companies used to guard "official" stationery with vigor to keep imposter from mischief.:([?]

Scott
03-31-2006, 09:26 AM
That's an interesting observation Bunzard. I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks Studeroger! I have never seen any other Studebaker related business correspondence pictured anywhere else. The only things one ever sees for sale are stock certificates and printed matter for the public. I still haven't gleaned word for word through everything I have - even though it's only in a fairly small box. I know I have a letter signed by Fred Fish somewhere in there, and I only discovered that after owning the papers for over 10 years!

I've been trying to estimate a value of the papers - for insurance purposes, but have not had much luck. I wrote to a dealer in the business and after he saw what I had online he said that he wouldn't want to deal with it, because he thought it would take YEARS to find a possible buyer if I wanted to sell!!!

I informed him that the club is international, has about 13,000 members, and the Studebaker family is large as well. Gee, do think I'd have trouble selling a hand signed JM Studebaker letter?