This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Studebaker Red

I'm getting closer to the paint stage on my 53 Starliner and still have not decided on a color. I saw the photo of a red/white [don't remember the Stude. names for these colors] Starliner on Daytona beach in another thread and have always liked that combo. My questions are; Since I'm keeping the battleship gray interior, Could you get a 53 with this color scheme with the gray interior?, How do you get the 53 color match in todays paint? I have a color chart for the 53 but would not want to rely on this old print to get a good match. Does anyone have new colors that come real close to matching these Stude. colors? Thanks for any help,

Darryl C. Lewallen

The red in '53 was called "Coral Red." Over the years I have seen a lot of bad examples of that particular color at car shows, so maybe it is tough to mix with modern paints. I have a '53 paint chart, that I assume is what you are talking about, and it gives the mixing formula for DUCO paint. My restorer says it won't be a problem achieving that color. We'll see!! My chart is currently in the hands of the restorer, so I can't give you the color of the white in the two-tone cars.

Jerry Buck
    '53 Champion Coupe (C)
    '61 Lark VI Convertible

Comment

Hey Darryl,

My 53 Champion 2 dr sedan came with Ivory Mist
      light yellow kinda)and Corral Red on the top,
      but was changed to straight Ivory Mist during her
      restoral. They used PPG LV Acrylic Urethane single
      stage custom mix...turned out pretty darn close.
      The only white for 1953 and was only for 2 tones:
      was "Salem White".

Hope this helps!

Glen Brose
      1953 Champion 2dr Sedan

Comment

My Ditzler chart for 53 does not list a white. There is Ivory Mist which is listed as a lower color with Coral Red top. Coral Red is listed as a lower color with a Monterey Beige top. My Du Pont color chart agrees.

I don't know if the codes will help any but here they are for Ditzler:

Ivory Mist: 80628
        Coral Red: 70431
        Monterey Beige: 20945

53 Commander Hardtop
        64 Champ 1/2 ton
        WA state
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Mine is also a Ditzler chart and shows
          Salem White - 80663 and only went with
          Bombay Red - 70476.

Glen Brose
          1953 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Comment

IIRC, Salem White was added as a color choice later in the 1953 model year, that's why it may not show up on every paint color chip chart.

Comment

I was wondering that myself. Now I am
              thinking that since my 53 was originally
              Coral Red on Ivory Mist, was the Bombay
              Red (70476) a mid year addition as well?
              Since my Ditzler paint chart says that
              Salem White on Bombay Red was the only
              two tone option for these 2 colors.

More mystery....

Glen Brose
              53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Comment

I remember the statement that Salem White was a later year addition from an article on '53s in one of my old Turning Wheels from long ago. I don't remember about the Bombay Red, but it very well could be that it also came out later. Someone reading this probably knows for sure. If not, I will try to hunt up the article again.

I hope someone knows, because my filing and storage system...well, the less said the better. [xx(]

Comment

The Starliner on Daytona Beach is mine. I think it only fair to tell you that it is NOT an original red. The factory Coral red is a good deal more orangy. The top is painted in a Datsun Beige which is a very close match to the factory color.
                  Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.
                  Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

From Fred Fox's coverage of the '53 C-K cars in the Feb. 1989 issue of TW:

"Interior metal trim was painted Loma Gray EXCEPT on Bombay Red cars trimmed in Flax Vinyl. These models had Monterey Beige metal trim."

"Bombay Red" has a footnote saying that it was a "Spring color" addition. While it does say that the single-tone, Bombay Red cars with Flax vinyl ( a cream-colored vinyl) got the Monterey Beige metal trim coloration, Fred also mentions that the Bombay Red & Salem White two-tone (with Flax Vinyl interior) got the same treatment as well.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BeeJay, What specific color is the red and Beige that you used? Mr. Biggs, Was the Coral red color ever offered with the gray interior? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Thanks Bob/MrBiggs - I was just going to set this topic straight with the Spring Special information, then I saw that you already did it.

Many '53 Starliners are now red and white that neither have the correct special interior nor are late enough in production to be Spring Special red & white cars. By "battleship gray", I assume that you mean Loma Gray. The closest correct "red/white" two-tone for your car is Coral Red lower and Monterey Beige upper. You could get Coral Red with Ivory Mist, but only with the lower in ivory and the upper in red. As others have mentioned, the Coral Red is kind of an orangish color (IMHO).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X