This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for leaf springs

Anyone know where a source is for new leaf springs for a 63 Cruiser?
    Need these for Ed Wissman's restoration.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

I think SASCO stocks NOS springs..

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Any local auto spring shop should be able to build you a spring set for your car. I just had new spings built for my 1946 Spartan travel trailer and they were very reasonably priced.

1961 Lark

Comment

I had a local place make up new rear leafs for my 52. Cost was $280 5 years ago. But they sure were nice and perfect.
        I was never able to find any "modern" junk yard replacement in the spring books. Many are 2.5 inch wide but I couldn't find any lengths that worked.

Dan
        52 hardtop

Comment

Eaton Detroit Spring has them $149. each

Comment

I got my Avanti leaf sprins from Eaton & they were perfect. Delivery was within a week. www.eatonsprings.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I e-mailed Eaton springs and am waiting a reply. We don't have anyone local that can do it.

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Just talked to them and they will make up a set for 429.00 pair. Not too bad and they will be brand new.

53commander HDTP
                53 Champion HDTP
                61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                64 Champ long bed V8
                64 GT
                64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I thought the springs at SASCO were something like $179? Anyone?

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

sasco didn't have any in stock.

53commander HDTP
                    53 Champion HDTP
                    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    64 GT
                    64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

I got my Avanti leaf sprins from Eaton & they were perfect. Delivery was within a week. www.eatonsprings.com
                      I contacted Eaton also, their customer response is first class. They
                      were going to send out my Email to Avanti owners who had bought their
                      stock springs recently so I could get measurements. Sounds like you
                      are a recent customer. Any chance I can get some numbers from you??

I am looking to lower the car, but I dont know what "stock height" is.

The front might have sagged from age, and the rear are station wagon
                      springs. Actually, Kdancy, you might be interested in THESE springs
                      for the Cruiser. They are 4 leaf, and have quite a LOT of lift. I am
                      using 2 inch thick lowering blocks to bring the back down enough. I
                      have new bushing in the spring eyes.... they could use a bead blast
                      and paint due to surface rust, but they are very useable.

Tom

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Wow! The prices realy went up in 2 years. Although I bought them through a dealer near me so I didn't have to pay shipping. But still that is still a big price hike.

Comment

Dealing with a local spring outfit will be worth it's weight in GOLD!..Beside the fact that they will build the springs..they will do the install, and make any adjustments should they be needed....I delt with a local company for my Avanti and thank the lord I did..problems arose and they were addressed and fixed...If you purchase spings from an independant source and they have problems..good luck getting the shop you brought them to, to fix any problems...That is the reason I never purchased parts on my own and brought them to my tech to install.....I let him purchase the parts and deal with any problems should they occur. In 40 years I have never been sorry.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Dealing with a local spring outfit will be worth it's weight in GOLD ....... I never purchased parts on my own and brought them to my tech to install.....I let him purchase the parts and deal with any problems should they occur. In 40 years I have never been sorry.
                            I wish I had YOUR kinda money to spend!! I can not afford to do that,
                            so I do ALL my own work. But then, I enjoy the experience, so I would
                            probably do the work even if I was rich.

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom,
                              I do not know how old you are but as one just about to cross over to the twilight zone of my sixth decade I can tell you there were many many jobs I could have done myself...even with the three slipped-discs...but in the forty years I have had the Avanti I have always felt that a good tech is hard to find, and why not let him make a few bucks on the parts....ten years ago it cost me 350.00 complete to put HD springs in the Avanti....included in that price was the labor ..natch..the actual springs, new bushings, new spring liners, new U-clamps, and he even took off f&r traction bars and put in new bushings...not too shabby for 350.00 would you not agree?
                              Can I do LOF jobs....yes....do I want to?....no! I let my shop do it it is worth 22.50 so I do not have to crawl under the beast myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X