PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone of Car Collecting

Dan White
03-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Some of you may have seen this but it is one very strange story. Hope no one gets quite this weird about their Studes!

http://coolcatcorp.com/millerauction/MillerAuction.html

I can hear the Twilight Zone theme now and Rod Serling introducing the story: Presented for your inspection is one Mr. Alex Miller a car collector of note with one foot in the Twilight Zone..................

Also, it just proves you can't take it with you!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

ddub
03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
In some cases our wives see a parallel!

53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

Scott
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I've seen things not far from that in several Studebaker collectors' yards! They know who they are! I don't think the Millers were all that unique. Stude guys are little more sociable, but many are just as eccentric. - Just ask my wife.[8D]

JBOYLE
03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm also a member of the Stutz Club and the auction of Miller "collection" was a huge event in that part of the hobby.

Remember, Stutz automobiles were/are fairly rare and valuable, so the opening of a stash like that was important. Although the cars and parts were known to more than a few people, Miller would rarely sell/trade anything...and then only if he liked you.

I know for a fact one of the original (and unrestored) Bearcats is now in the collection of a Dallas area doctor. He added it to his collection that includes another early (1912-16) first generation Bearcat. A noted Stutz restorer/expert was tasked to re-awake the car, but not disturb the existing paint & seat coverings which were in remarkably good condition. And I was told (by someone who claimed to do the selling) that one of the later Bearcats (17-18?) eventually made its way to Jay Leno.

BTW: Why the fuss? A restored 16 Bearcat just sold for $275,000
63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

BobPalma
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
:) That story about the Miller auction has been making the rounds and while it is true, it barely scratches the surface of those hermit-like folks and the enormous mass of material they accumulated. [:I]

Several years ago, I spent many hours in the company of Dale Ogden, Curator of Americana for the new Indiana State Museum, about nine months after this Miller auction took place. Dale and I traveled many hours together to buy a 1950 Studebaker Champion DeLuxe 2-door sedan that is now on permanent display in the new State Museum.

Dale had earlier been sent to the Miller auction to buy an Indianapolis-built Stutz -as they all were- also for the museum. He did buy the Model AA 4-door sedan seen in that auction article; it, too, is at the new State Museum, restored. Dale went on for hours about how interesting was that Miller Stutz auction and the circumstances surrounding it. I never tired of listening to his adventure...it was truly once-in-a-lifetime! [8D] BP