PDA

View Full Version : Studillac Article in TW (April 2006)

DEEPNHOCK
03-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Great article on Studillac's in this month's TW authored by Richard Quinn.

I always appreciate the detail, and historical follow up on his articles. It is so interesting to know 'Where are they now?". or "Whatever happened to..?"....

Pat Skelly in Savannah has an undocumented, questionable, but totally neat Cadillac powered '53 Stude that he aquired last year. It would be great if he could nail down the history of that car. When I last talked to Pat, he had it running, and had the brakes working and was thinking of offering it up for sale. Man, owning a Studillac would be so cool![:p]
Jeff[8D]

stude freak
03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey Deep , I am checking on a 54 c body I was steered to in central Ms. It turns out the guy has a Studillac. I got a pic he sent me but I dont have a website to post it on.If i can send it to your e-mail maybe you can post it on forum for me.He said hes going to the Georiga n Florida meets this year .Maybe Matt can get some pics of it.

stude freak
03-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Hey another ? How do you guys get your TW so quick?Im so envious,I wont get mine till first week in april.

BobPalma
03-26-2006, 12:56 PM
:) First Class. :D Everything Jeff Rice does is First Class....er, well maybe excepting York dinner conversations... ;) BP

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Hey another ? How do you guys get your TW so quick?Im so envious,I wont get mine till first week in april.

mbstude
03-26-2006, 05:45 PM
I do know of a 53/54 C-body car that a guy is biulding into a Studillac, and is going to be at the GA meet, and is painting it up like a Panamerican race car. [8D] I'll get pix. Hey Mr. Jeff Rice, you coming to the GA meet?

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut. South Georgia Chapter
http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg
63 Daytona HT (my car),57 Silver Hawk, 51 Champ Starlight, 63 GT Hawk,64 Commander Wagonaire,59 Scotsman P/U,56 Champ 2 door,81 Avanti II,56 Sky Hawk,65 Daytona 2 door,62 Cruiser,55 P/U(V-8)
MANY more Studes and a few parts cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

imported_n/a
03-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Just wondering if getting the copy of the production order on an old Cad-powered Studebaker and see if it wasn't originally delivered to the northeast, (where Frick performed the conversions) might give a clue.

N8N
03-27-2006, 02:19 PM
C'mon guys, by the time I actually get my TW there won't be any point in reading it! LOL (kinda)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

DEEPNHOCK
03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Pat Skelly did get the production order, and his was delivered new to upstate New York.
And, yes Matthew... It is for sale.
Pretty reasonably priced, too.
For an umolested (if that can apply to a Caddy powered Stude) but undocumented example.. This one is pretty neat. It would take some work, but it could be a real head turner.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

Just wondering if getting the copy of the production order on an old Cad-powered Studebaker and see if it wasn't originally delivered to the northeast, (where Frick performed the conversions) might give a clue.

raprice
03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I just received my TW today (Monday, March 27th) and the first article I went to was Richard Quinn's Almanac column on the Studillac. Richard is a terrific writer and did a wonderful job describing Bill Frick. Bill is quite a legend here on Lond Island.
Richard mentioned that Tom Portesy is the owner of one of those great cars. Tom is a member of the Long Island Chapter and currently has his 1954 Starlight Coupe in display at the Long Island Museum in Stony Brook as part of a Raymond Loewy exhibit.
Rog

Pat Skelly
03-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Well I got my April Turning Wheels today, and went directly to Richards article. I had just about convinced myself, mine was not a Frick, because of the Cad/ LaSalle trans, and what do I read, that trans was a $250. option. Now I'm more confused than I was before. Hopefully I have it at the Georgia State Meet this Saturday, where all opinions will be heard, but not necessarily agreed with.

DEEPNHOCK
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
BTW....
Several pic's of Pat Skelly's Caddy powered Stude are up at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/423977158fnnolL
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Pat Skelly

Well I got my April Turning Wheels today, and went directly to Richards article. I had just about convinced myself, mine was not a Frick, because of the Cad/ LaSalle trans, and what do I read, that trans was a $250. option. Now I'm more confused than I was before. Hopefully I have it at the Georgia State Meet this Saturday, where all opinions will be heard, but not necessarily agreed with.

Mike
03-29-2006, 02:46 AM
Didn't the Cad LaSalle have an oval cover plate bolted to the bottom of the main case? It was cast iron; and was the bottom of the main case.
Another desirable old hot rod transmission was the Packard three speed, with synchromesh in all three gears. I think it was available with OD. I looked for pictures of one, but didn't find any.
Pat, does yours have the "K" shaped Chevy cross member? What a neat car!
Mike M.