This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest foster child

OK, here it is. It started life as a Champion and was a running driveable car when it's little, 6cyl heart was yanked. But due to good fortune, the engine "upgrade" this time was a PLUS. Thing is, said engine transplant was never finished and it set for roughly 10 years - literally on a mountain top.

75K on the odo and I'm beginning to believe it. Sadly, it got less than ideal storage while it set the past decade, but it's mostly cosmetic deterioration that's resulted. You saw the trunk floor earlier and save for some surface rust under the carpets, it's one solid sweetie. []
    Yes, it's bound for ebay. At least that was my intention when I adopted it. Just how much I'm gonna do to it before it's put up, I haven't decided yet. But probably I'll get it to run and stop and let it go at that.[^]
    A Miss Marjorie Dale of Los Angeles was the original owner. I wonder if she's still alive?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

You get a nice foster child like that,then you threaten to put her on ebay!! Now we see how you are![}]

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Hey Bob,
      That one looks as nice as some of these out of the barns here in GA. Don't sell it...you can never have enough Studes.
      Dan

Comment

Well, my limited funds can only manage so many plates at the dinner table.[V] Shoot - I'd keep every one that ever came my way if money was no object[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,
          Oh by the way, forgot to tell you I ended up with Jimmy's Champ PU.
          I know you remember it.. use to belong to Gary W.
          Later
          Dan

Comment

Quite a find! Mr Biggs, couldn't you just auction it off right here on the SDC board, or sell 25 dollar raffle tickets to us, for a chance to win it?

Comment

Now that's a thought. Wonder how many $25 dollar chances I could sell on it?[}] Think I could manage 300 tickets?[}]

Dan, is that the one that had a tree fall on it?[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,
                Yep, that's it. Probably looks like it did the last time you saw it, only the rust is worse.
                Dan

Comment

Yeah!! nice car very nice ..............

But WOW look at the green grass and leaves on the tree's

You lucky dog you!

Comment

Nice little car indeed, Bob. []

Just curious: That car was built while the LA (Vernon) plant was still in production. What percentage of 1956 and earlier Studes do you find out there that were produced at Vernon, versus South Bend? Did CA "import" any South-Bend built cars for NEW sales in CA prior to 1956, or did they try to supply the CA market -and possibly other western-state markets- entirely from Vernon plant production? (I figure you'd know as well as anyone, as many of them as you unearth every day, it seems! <G&gt BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Mr. Biggs,
                      Keep up the good work!! Do you smell these things or do they seek you out? Where do you stand with the other C/K you got from the dairy farmer some time back??
                      Russ
                      quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

OK, here it is. It started life as a Champion and was a running driveable car when it's little, 6cyl heart was yanked. But due to good fortune, the engine "upgrade" this time was a PLUS. Thing is, said engine transplant was never finished and it set for roughly 10 years - literally on a mountain top.

75K on the odo and I'm beginning to believe it. Sadly, it got less than ideal storage while it set the past decade, but it's mostly cosmetic deterioration that's resulted. You saw the trunk floor earlier and save for some surface rust under the carpets, it's one solid sweetie. []
                      Yes, it's bound for ebay. At least that was my intention when I adopted it. Just how much I'm gonna do to it before it's put up, I haven't decided yet. But probably I'll get it to run and stop and let it go at that.[^]
                      A Miss Marjorie Dale of Los Angeles was the original owner. I wonder if she's still alive?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I tell folks I can smell a Stude before I see it.[^] I sometimes think I DO have a sixth sense for sniffin' 'em out. But this '54 was boldly advertized on the net last month. Fact is, I told this forum about the seller playin' games with me after I'd looked at it. I figured it was gone when I got an e-mail out of the blue, askin' if I was still interested. Obviously, I was.

The 53 sits patiently in the shop. I let the '58 wagon take center stage for now. Of course, the wagon waits while I do cars up to run on ebay.[xx(]

Bob P. - to answer your question, most of the 56 & earlier cars I find out here ARE from the Vernon plant. Seems logical. Not to say that I don't see some from South Bend - even Canada on occassion.
                        I've had 3 or 4 Speedsters pass thru my hands in the past 8 years or so and every one of them was LA issue.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Quite a number of years back, seems to me I remember you had a '58 Packard 4dr sedan, and a '58 Packard SW. Am I correct? If so, both of these cars are still right where the person you sold them to parked them. Well almost. When he moved them, he had to cut dowm a 8" tree that had grown up behind the front bumper. As for the cars, they're still complete, or at least mostly. Just thought I'd run down memory lane a little. (It was neet back then)
                          Dan

Comment

Wow! Thanks for that news, Dan. I never had a sedan but I DID have that wagon for a couple of years before I sold it to Richard. I'd heard that he'd been under the gun to save his stuff but I hadn't heard what had become of it.
                            That wagon ('58 Packard wagon[]) being so rare from the start, it needs to be saved and restored if at all possible. Good to know it escaped the fate it was facing. I was told recently that it had, in fact, been crushed. I was hoping that wasn't the case![B)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Bob,
                              I know at one point someone from the NW was suppose to come down here to buy them. That was almost 2 yrs ago. They're still sittin' in the fenced in, locked storage yard Richard put them in when he moved to Jackson, Ga. I'd bet he would sell the wagon back to you if you REALLY wanted it, he's not going to fix it. Wish I had pictures for you. I was there when they drug them out.
                              DM

Comment

Working...
                              X