This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the water jacket drain plugs on the V8's

...and can you reach them without removing the starter and/or exhaust system. (My car is a '64 Lark-Type.

Thanks in advance.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
    Working in Spokane, WA

Yes,
    I did this very thing so I could fully drain the block on my car..I replaced the plugs with standard pet-cocks...now when I want to replace anti-freeze it is a simple matter to open radiator and block drain cocks.
    You will have to use reducing fittings.

Comment

they are the little pipe plugs on either side of the block at the rear. If your engine is the original full-flow engine the one on the pass. side will be in front of the oil filter mount. The one on the driver's side is behind the starter, but if you have an original style exhaust you should not have to drop it to drop the starter, it's actually pretty easy once you've done it before. I've actually dropped the starter with the engine hot on my '55 for just this reason, and no I didn't burn myself

I don't think you should need any special fittings to use petcocks on a V-8, IIRC they are the same pipe thread as a standard petcock.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Marc,
        If those plugs haven't been out in decades, be sure to use an 8-point socket. An open end wrench will most of the time round off the plug. Also use PB Blaster penetrant. It's good stuff. When you're ready to reinstall them, use brass plugs. They never rust and are easy to remove next time. Any hardware store has them.

Dan Miller
        ROADRACELARK

Comment

Reducers were needed to accomplish this on an Avanti.

Comment

And if these plugs haven't been removed for awhile, don't be surprised if nothing comes out when you remove the plug(s)...at first, until you stick a screwdriver into the hole. Then keep your face out of the way! [xx(]

Comment

Consider the size of the petcock you choose. It may get a bit crowded between the starter body and the block.[B)]

And as 15G says, don't be surprized if nothing gushes out at first. There's YEARS of crud accumulated at those rear lower corners of the V8 cooling jacket. You'd do well to dig around in there with a screwdriver (or whatever) until it can flow cleanly. This can alleviate overheating problems and sometimes CURE them![:0] To do a real bang-up job of it - after you've prodded and de-grubbed thru those drain plug holes, remove the two rearmost freeze plugs and repeat. Then go onto the middle two and eventually to the front two.
              Why not just pop out all the plugs at once? Because you'll never get flushing action further back if you allow the flush flow to go out the first holes it comes to.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

To make the system more trouble free, reinstall BRASS freeze plugs. they won't rust or corode as the galvanized ones willl
                DM
                RRL

Comment

I have never been able to use the brass plugs in the car. I just used the rubber ones and it seems to be working out OK.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I don't know about this issue of needing to use reducers on the Avanti. I put two petcocks on mine when the engine was done and I didn't use any reducers--whatever petcock I bought just screwed into the tapped hole. And this is the original block on my '63.

wagone and Avanti I

Comment

Doing this on my Avanti required purchasing and using two 3/8" x 1/4" reducers.[:0]

Could be the pet cocks I purchased but this avanti is a very late '64.[^]

Comment

Nate,
                        I've removed some rubber freeze plugs from an older engine that was still being used, only to find the inside rubber exposed to the coolant had turned to jelly and the metal components had all but disolved as rust. When I tried to take them out, they just twisted off. Then had to use a crow bar to pry them out of the holes. NASTY! I've never had any trouble installing the brass plugs, but I coat the outer edges with #2 Permatex sealer, it works great.
                        Dan Miller
                        ROADRACELARK

Also what helps is the handy freeze plug installer tool. Greatest invention since the shirt pocket. Really makes it easier to install all plugs with out removing anything but the starter.
                        DM

Comment

Of late, I've been using the copper type like's available from Fairborn or other vendors. You tighten their dome nut heads with a wrench. Seem to work great. Of course, I'd use brass before I would steel, if that's what I had to choose from.[:I]

I've used the rubber ones too - and like Dan, I've found gummy goo when I took them out after some time![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X