This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 Sudabaker Commander

I have a 1937 Commander Unrestored, in need of work. It does have the original flat six and tranny, all 4 doors the rear suicide, the heater, split rear window. and little trim pieces around the headlights, and grill. What is the rarity of this car, and what would a pretty in tacked car like this be worth?

I was thinking of turning it into a rat rod, channel and section the body, s10 chassis small block chevy, but if its a rare car I would rather it be restored by somebody that love these things

Comment

No one has a clue about this thing?

Comment

I didn't think they made a Commander in 37, only Dictators and Presidents. Am I wrong[B)]

quote:Originally posted by MordarskiD

No one has a clue about this thing?

Comment

I hope you find a good home for it, since it is such a complete, unrestored example. I figure that there are so many street rods out there already, that the novelty has worn off by now. Maybe someone involved with the Antique Studebaker Club could advise you on a fair asking price.

Comment

Looks like this one, except with the trim peices under the headlight and above, the clock in the dash, the side pannels to the hood have the original commander lettering, and the closes I could find is this one

Comment

The picture you linked to is of a 1938 model.
              In unrestored condition, it could be worth anywhere from $500 to $5000....
              The proverbial questions you should be prepared to answer are:
              (1) Rust : Where, and how much and how bad. Be brutally honest, as a seller will find out 5 minutes after he gets the car anyways.
              (2) Where is it? Transportation costs can affect the purchase price.
              (3) Driveline condition. Does it run? Does it crank over? Compression test? Brakes?
              (4) Options. Hill holder? Overdrive? Radio?
              (5) Paperwork. Any old service bills, or history to go with it?

Oh, and the rat rod threat won't work here. Been tried too many times.
              This is a forum and not a chat room, so your replies may take a few hours.
              Good luck selling it!
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by MordarskiD

I have a 1937 Commander Unrestored, in need of work. It does have the original flat six and tranny, all 4 doors the rear suicide, the heater, split rear window. and little trim pieces around the headlights, and grill. What is the rarity of this car, and what would a pretty in tacked car like this be worth?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

in the Feb. antique studebaker review there is a 1937dictator 4 door for sale. it has restored seats and recromed bumpers. 72k miles for best offer over 13k. 37 was the last year for the dictator. in 38 it changed to champion.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fh929

in the Feb. antique studebaker review there is a 1937dictator 4 door for sale. it has restored seats and recromed bumpers. 72k miles for best offer over 13k. 37 was the last year for the dictator. in 38 it changed to champion.
                  '37 was the last year for Dictator, alright. I think the lustre was starting to fade from the name at that time for some reason

But it wasn't replaced by Champion. That was an all-new smaller car introduced in 1939. The model line that was Dictator became Commanders, which is a name that Studebaker has used previously.

FWIW, "Dictator" was also a brand name that was used by Hudson's Bay Company in Canada for their house brand radios. I suspect that name tanked about the same time.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I knew that! don't know why I said champion. most be something to do with old age.

Comment

Working...
                    X