This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Studebaker Champion

I've been searching online for a 53 Studebaker Champion restoration project car without any luck. I figured I would get in touch with a group of people who would know a little more about this car than I. I'm looking for this car for my father, who loves this car and is retired and needing a project to keep him busy. He recently restored a '60 MGA Roadster for my uncle and thoroughly enjoyed the time he worked on it until its sale. I myself am working on a 1966 Volvo P1800 and once I've completed the task, I would love to buy a resto 53 Studebaker Champion as a father and son project. Although, being neive to this model car, I'm afraid I'll have to pay out the wazoo for a resto car. Any advise on what I can expect or where I can look for such a car?

Sean

You might start by selecting a body style, you have several to choose from. Champion simply indicates 6 cylinder motor, the V8 being a Commander. There is the coupe and hardtop,as well as 2 dr and 4 dr sedans. You can find pictures on this web site. You should seriously consider joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. You get Turning Wheels magazine which is considered by many to be THE outstanding single marque publication. You also come in contact with about 13,000 Studebaker fans.

You may well find someone on this forum with just the car you are looking for. Good luck and stay tuned.

53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    WA state
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

And before you buy a car online-read the post 'How bad did I get screwed?'

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      60Lark
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Sean,I have a 53 champion coupe that may be put on ebay shortly,77,500 actural miles,runs like new,3 speed o/d inside completly redone,radio sounds great,cig-lighter works,everything works, could use a paint job, but looks great from 10 foot.I am located in Greenwood, s.c. Where are you located
        53 champion coupe
        57 Silver Hawk
        one bad ass kicking 62 gt Hawk

BubbaHawk

Comment

I like to extend my quote "There is nothing more expensive then a cheap Avanti" to any Studebaker. When buying a 53-54 coupe or hardtop in today's market I personally would expect to pay 6-7K for a car worth restoring. Unless you happen to steal a car, to spend less will cost you more in the long run.
          Many folks have boought rust buckets C-K's rather then pay for a rust free car,only to find they need 2-3 thousnd dollars in sheet metal and floor work. I'd also prefer a rust free body on a car that needs everything in the drive line and interior, to a low miliage rusty one.

Buying a rust belt car to save on shipping is also a fool's errand. Those of us that pull the front clip off a dry state car in a few hours using without so much as one swear word will understand my last suggestion.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
          X